Jump to content

News Forum - Khao San Road expects very slow recovery, even after reopening


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Though it’s technically a long, flat stretch, the recovery for Bangkok’s backpacker tourist hub of Khao San Road will be a steep uphill battle. While the government plans the November 1 reopening, entertainment venues, clubs and bars that are a mainstay on the previously vibrant, cacophony of a strip are unlikely to reopen then, and businesses along the infamous road have been crippled in the meantime. The president of the Khao San Business Association said yesterday that, while he was happy to hear about the November 1 reopening, he feels it won’t do a lot to help the pre-Covid young […]

The story Khao San Road expects very slow recovery, even after reopening as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Though it’s technically a long, flat stretch, the recovery for Bangkok’s backpacker tourist hub of Khao San Road will be a steep uphill battle. While the government plans the November 1 reopening, entertainment venues, clubs and bars that are a mainstay on the previously vibrant, cacophony of a strip are unlikely to reopen then, and businesses along the infamous road have been crippled in the meantime. The president of the Khao San Business Association said yesterday that, while he was happy to hear about the November 1 reopening, he feels it won’t do a lot to help the pre-Covid young […]

The story Khao San Road expects very slow recovery, even after reopening as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Khao San needs to reinvent itself away from backpackers and booze. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Khao San needs to reinvent itself away from backpackers and booze. 

You mean more in your own image ?  I think the intent is to encourage tourists appealing to those with a diverse outlook and interests but I may be wrong.  Have you visited Bhutan by the way ?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Khao San needs to reinvent itself away from backpackers and booze. 

 

Wow.
 
I would say just the opposite; Khao San road needs to focus on backpackers, booze AND add hot babes to the mix.
 
Khao San road held an enviable position in SE Asia for decades as the, or at minimum one of the, main places to stop in at. Literally generations of travelers stayed there, spent a night there, met up with friends new and old there, and used it as the starting point of discovering Thailand. It is one of the primary reasons that so very many people, including pretty much everyone reading this, has kept returning and returning to Thailand.
 
Reinvent itself? When you have a golden goose who helps fund your tourism business for decades, perhaps 're-inventing' isn't the way to go.
 
The biggest danger to Khao San Road is if some moronic General decides that it needs to be re-invented with the look of an old Army base, but without the charm, ambiance and/or 'hipness'.
 
Anyone who ever served in the Thai military should be prohibited from approaching within 500 yards of the place.
 

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Shade_Wilder said:

booze AND add hot babes to the mix.

Well that has always been a major ingredient of success for centuries and the prudes and bigoted prejudiced who say otherwise exemplify the foolish minority.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's in Bangkok....it's recovery would be late 2022. It won't be the mainstay of tourist interest...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:
Wow.
 
I would say just the opposite; Khao San road needs to focus on backpackers, booze AND add hot babes to the mix.
 
Khao San road held an enviable position in SE Asia for decades as the, or at minimum one of the, main places to stop in at. Literally generations of travelers stayed there, spent a night there, met up with friends new and old there, and used it as the starting point of discovering Thailand. It is one of the primary reasons that so very many people, including pretty much everyone reading this, has kept returning and returning to Thailand.
 
Reinvent itself? When you have a golden goose who helps fund your tourism business for decades, perhaps 're-inventing' isn't the way to go.
 
The biggest danger to Khao San Road is if some moronic General decides that it needs to be re-invented with the look of an old Army base, but without the charm, ambiance and/or 'hipness'.
 
Anyone who ever served in the Thai military should be prohibited from approaching within 500 yards of the place.
 

Dream on. The dismantling has already begun.  As far as backpackers go they're also almost a thing of the past, except Europe of course. People want to make money and this group bring very little. About hot girls, they're everywhere if you can speak Thai, of course. I live in the North and they're everywhere. They're sweet, unspoiled and beautiful. Girls that hang out in entertainment places, especially around foreigners quickly become jaded, IMO

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Girls that hang out in entertainment places, especially around foreigners quickly become jaded, IMO

Thailand is no different from any other country in the world , there is something for everyone which is why it was so popular and hopefully will eventually recover once it has overcome the covid downturn and has a good government again. So live and let live is a good motto to live by as it ensures any person is not subject to questioning and ridicule by putting themselves on perches and getting shot down, metaphorically speaking of course.

Edited by BigHewer
Off topic content removed
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Well Pattaya will take years and won't return to its former self, which is good. 

Well what a detached and shameful viewpoint considering that the side of pattaya you claim to dislike was responsible for around 100,000's of ancillary support work such as clothes venders, food sellers,  etc etc. I'm afraid the "i'm all right Jack" approach will not be viewed by the majority of posters here plus the vast Thai community currently outplaced as being helpful to their current plight and economic hardship that they are currently enduring.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Khao San road is kind of an institution of sorts in itself. Take a look at the Bangkok skyline and many of those tall buildings are hotels that cater for to middle to upper class travelers.

But does this mean that people on a low budget such as recently graduated students or lower middle class but honest workers must be excluded?

It will take most people ages to recovery from the economic damage done by Covid19. Both the businesses in Khao San and the visitors.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Khao San needs to reinvent itself away from backpackers and booze. 

Any suggestions? It’s like saying Disneyland needs to reinvent itself from silly rides and cartoon characters. Khao San road is just another road without them and the booze.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • BigHewer locked this topic

 

A number of off-topic posts and their replies have been removed. The topic of this thread is “News Forum - Khao San Road expects very slow recovery, even after reopening

As always, some degree of tangential discussion is expected, but let’s keep things on topic and civil, especially in the news topics.

Regards,

Moderator

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • BigHewer unlocked this topic
6 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

If you are not a backpacker, why would you even go to Khao San Road?

Well currently it could well be looking for investment opportunities perhaps in closed business premises.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been to BKK many times and never thought to go to Khao San Road, nor will I in the future. Seems pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Any suggestions? It’s like saying Disneyland needs to reinvent itself from silly rides and cartoon characters. Khao San road is just another road without them and the booze.  

There’s more to Thailand than booze and babes for some of us. It is however the view of the sexpats. Why would I travel halfway around the world for only sex and booze?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I even though I'm technically too old to enjoy the crazy young backpacker booze scene I do hope it recovers to its former "glory". I will always cherish the memories of the place,  and will keep returning whenever I can.

Sure it's kitsch and not the 'real Thailand',  It's so much fun if you accept it for what it is ...

Long Live Khao San Road !!

Edited by Bert
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TukTuk said:

If you are not a backpacker, why would you even go to Khao San Road?

There are plenty of places to eat different decent food and some pretty good pubs with very good live music in the area for starters.

Khao San has been visited by  young  thai young women for decades.

The area has a lot of artists and independent fashion designers in the area.

It's a well known area for trendy young women to pick up something different at a good price direct from the designer.

I enjoy a couple of beers in Khao San before going to saxophone.

It's a fun place and keeps a lot of people employed.

Plenty of reasons really.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

There’s more to Thailand than booze and babes for some of us. It is however the view of the sexpats. Why would I travel halfway around the world for only sex and booze?

We were talking about Khao San Road, not the rest of Thailand. I’m very aware that Thailand has a lot more to offer than  sex and booze. I’ve been travelling all around Thailand and other SE Asian countries for over 30 years. Why are you so obsessed with this sexpats issue? Why does it seem to bother you so much. Have you been hurt by issues to do with sexpats? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cathat said:

There are plenty of places to eat different decent food and some pretty good pubs with very good live music in the area for starters.

Khao San has been visited by  young  thai young women for decades.

The area has a lot of artists and independent fashion designers in the area.

It's a well known area for trendy young women to pick up something different at a good price direct from the designer.

I enjoy a couple of beers in Khao San before going to saxophone.

It's a fun place and keeps a lot of people employed.

Plenty of reasons really.

 

There are plenty of places to eat different decent food and some pretty good pubs with very good live music in the area for starters.

That describes most of Thailand

Khao San has been visited by  young  thai young women for decades.

What does that have to do with old expat men? Most who already have a family with kids?

The area has a lot of artists and independent fashion designers in the area.

Thai Art and Thai Fashion. Not sure how many expats are into that? Thai fashion? No thanks. The cartoon shorts are already over the edge.

It's a well known area for trendy young women to pick up something different at a good price direct from the designer.

With all the counterfeit merchandise in Thailand, who would ever know a local designer versus a counterfeit brand name?

I enjoy a couple of beers in Khao San before going to saxophone.

Too much of a hassle traffic wise unless you live nearby. Beer is everywhere in case you haven't venture out past Khao San Road.

It's a fun place and keeps a lot of people employed.

It's pretty much of a tourist trap and most people that live in Thailand grow out of quite quickly

Plenty of reasons really.

 

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, gummy said:

Well currently it could well be looking for investment opportunities perhaps in closed business premises.

Yes, please go right ahead and donate your investment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

There are plenty of places to eat different decent food and some pretty good pubs with very good live music in the area for starters.

That describes most of Thailand

Khao San has been visited by  young  thai young women for decades.

What does that have to do with old expat men? Most who already have a family with kids?

The area has a lot of artists and independent fashion designers in the area.

Thai Art and Thai Fashion. Not sure how many expats are into that? Thai fashion? No thanks. The cartoon shorts are already over the edge.

It's a well known area for trendy young women to pick up something different at a good price direct from the designer.

With all the counterfeit merchandise in Thailand, who would ever know a local designer versus a counterfeit brand name?

I enjoy a couple of beers in Khao San before going to saxophone.

Too much of a hassle traffic wise unless you live nearby. Beer is everywhere in case you haven't venture out past Khao San Road.

It's a fun place and keeps a lot of people employed.

It's pretty much of a tourist trap and most people that live in Thailand grow out of quite quickly

Plenty of reasons really.

The epitome of this forum.....

 

A guy lists the positives and one of the happy fellas breaks it down to counter with a negative for each one! 5555

 

You can't teach that kind of miserableness..........that is honed over decades of unhappiness   :)

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TukTuk said:

If you are not a backpacker, why would you even go to Khao San Road?

to get my fake degrees, of course!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

The epitome of this forum.....

A guy lists the positives and one of the happy fellas breaks it down to counter with a negative for each one! 5555

You can't teach that kind of miserableness..........that is honed over decades of unhappiness   :)

You must be new to the Internet........

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use