News Forum - Tourism minister confident new Thailand Pass system will increase visitor numbers

Thaiger

The tourism minister is already praising the yet-to-be-launched Thailand Pass, saying it will lift tourist numbers significantly. Thailand Pass replaces the much-maligned Certificate of Entry from Monday and Pipat Ratchakitprakan is expecting to see visitor numbers rise. “Hotel bookings under the Phuket Sandbox scheme for November went up considerably after October 21, when the list of 46 low-risk countries from where double-jabbed tourists can arrive without having to quarantine was released. We expect the number of rooms reserved for November to surpass all other months since the sandbox scheme started in July.” Thailand’s once booming tourism industry is in desperate […]

The story Tourism minister confident new Thailand Pass system will increase visitor numbers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

85% reduction in airport slots at BKK, new 90 Pound increase in airport tax for UK long haul travellers, 70% reduction in seat availability for Eva Air and Thai direct flights to Europe; lot of wishful thinking going on here

Edited by Pinetree
  • Like 5

It is not the so called Thailand pass that brings tourists. It is the much easier entrance for fully vaccinated people. But Thailand is blinded by the lights of the past! 

• Like 2

I have selfish reasons to see it fail ! I want to travel to the states in 2023 and I certainly don’t want to jump through hoops or needlessly worry,to come back to Thailand 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Woifal said:

It is not the so called Thailand pass that brings tourists. It is the much easier entrance for fully vaccinated people. But Thailand is blinded by the lights of the past! 

Americans can come to Thailand and do all the paperwork, forms, payments, reservations, one night quarantine, insurance, and arrival testing.  Or they can go to Cancun, get the 72 hour pre flight negative test and nothing else.  Which place would you choose?

• Like 1

Some of this optimism is the difference between a salesman and an engineer. Sales people have to be upbeat and optimistic about the products they sell or they could never sell them. Famously in the U.K., there was a family who owned a chain of jewellery shops called Ratners back in the 80’s/90’s. The owner and CEO Gerald Ratner in 1992 said in an interview.  “I’m often asked how you can sell this so cheap. I say because it’s total crap”. He then went on to add insult to injury by saying “these earrings are cheaper than a Marks & Spencer’s sandwich. However the sandwich is likely to last longer”.  The jewellery  chain collapsed shortly after 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Metaluna said:

Americans can come to Thailand and do all the paperwork, forms, payments, reservations, one night quarantine, insurance, and arrival testing.  Or they can go to Cancun, get the 72 hour pre flight negative test and nothing else.  Which place would you choose?

I'd send them all to Cancun 🤪 😉

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I'd send them all to Cancun 🤪 😉

That would certainly result in a decrease in Thai sales of body deodorant, for which Europeans and English most certainly would not pick up the slack.

With the Chinese not coming till the end of 2022, Thailand better remove all the hoops to jump through. Because the only thing that will save the high season, is visitors from Europe, the Americas and Australasia. And none of us like red tape. There are places that are easier to go to.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, Metaluna said:

Which place would you choose?

Thailand.. Because i want to see my family again. There was no chance to come back to Thailand as a normal worker over the last two years. Now as fully vaccinated human i have the chance to go back.

5 hours ago, Bob20 said:

If you're making a list, I have a few to add too 🤭

That's too far for us.  We'll probably stay home & sulk or go to the Seychelles..

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The tourism minister is already praising the yet-to-be-launched Thailand Pass, saying it will lift tourist numbers significantly.

Let's see an increase from 2 tourists from 1 means that tourism has doubled.  That is how politicians use numbers to create a false narrative. 

To be fair, there will be an increase in visitors and it will have everything to do with the reduction in quarantine and absolutely nothing to do with the Thailand Pass.
The lift in numbers, will be people that want to come and visit friends, families and loved ones. I think very few tourists will bother with all the uploading of documents when they don’t have to do it in other places. 

As I have said many times before, you have to ATTRACT tourists, not give them hoops to jump through. No chance whatsoever of anything like the pre pandemic numbers for years, if ever, while obstacles like The Thailand Pass exist.

Think again TAT 

52 minutes ago, BBY said:

To be fair, there will be an increase in visitors and it will have everything to do with the reduction in quarantine and absolutely nothing to do with the Thailand Pass.
The lift in numbers, will be people that want to come and visit friends, families and loved ones. I think very few tourists will bother with all the uploading of documents when they don’t have to do it in other places. 

As I have said many times before, you have to ATTRACT tourists, not give them hoops to jump through. No chance whatsoever of anything like the pre pandemic numbers for years, if ever, while obstacles like The Thailand Pass exist.

Think again TAT 

Thinking doesn't appear to be a TAT strongpoint