News Forum - Senior hotels association member says NYE stars will boost Phuket tourism

Thaiger

The president of the Thai Hotels Association’s southern chapter is backing the government’s decision to spend millions of baht on Phuket’s end-of-year festivities. Officials have confirmed that K-Pop star Lalisa “Lisa” Manoban and Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli will perform in Phuket on New Year’s Eve. Critics have derided the plan due to the cost involved, with many suggesting the money be spent on helping those affected by the financial fallout of Covid-19. However, Kongsak Khoopongsakorn from the THA is looking at it another way. “I think spending 200 – 300 million baht to hire Lisa is worth the investment as […]

The story Senior hotels association member says NYE stars will boost Phuket tourism as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Spending 200 to 300 million baht is obscene who is it going to attract? Not me

Awwww! They were doing it just for you too.......:classic_sad:

2 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Awwww! They were doing it just for you too.......:classic_sad:

Just give me the money I can do better things with it

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

3 million divided by 20,000 people is only 150 baht each wonder what the ticket price is? So if they do sell all 20k of tickets which would supprise me then its a money winner and extra 1 or 2 nights stay in many hotels will help a bit.. but let's see if they get the 20k you know how good they are at predicting numbers for something..

Oh was down your way few nights back, good to see a few places starting to open up

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Just give me the money I can do better things with it

That's what switched on girls say when offered a drink.

14 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

3 million divided by 20,000 people is only 150 baht each wonder what the ticket price is? So if they do sell all 20k of tickets which would supprise me then its a money winner and extra 1 or 2 nights stay in many hotels will help a bit.. but let's see if they get the 20k you know how good they are at predicting numbers for something..

Oh was down your way few nights back, good to see a few places starting to open up

Seems to be a few places with live music doing ok

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Not so sure about  your maths, Malc.

It's 300 million, not 3 million, and that doesn't include the costs of setting it up, security, and so on.

At 20,000 tickets, that's 15,000 baht each, not "only 150 baht each". 😕

If a lot of the tickets are going to go to locals, it's hard to see how that can break even or be a "money winner" in terms of generating 300 million plus in extra spending in Phuket.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

Not so sure about  your maths, Malc.

It's 300 million, not 3 million, and that doesn't include the costs of setting it up, security, and so on.

At 20,000 tickets, that's 15,000 baht each, not "only 150 baht each". 😕

If a lot of the tickets are going to go to locals, it's hard to see how that can break even or be a "money winner" in terms of generating 300 million plus in extra spending in Phuket.

Yes realised after post..couldn't edit it..

the ticket prices will not be known yet..along with TV rights im pretty sure would cover this cost if not far off of it..

and hopefully hotel bookings even if ony a few days will help the economy here.. but I'm sceptical of them adding just normal tourists for new years eve in Thailand onto the money generated by this event.. then saying what a great success it was.. personally both artists are not my cup of tea but someone out there will enjoy it

• Like 2

This really is "let them eat cake" in action but Prayut will never back down because that would mean losing face and actually admitting a mistake.  Oh and by the way the heavy pollution blanketing parts of Thailand is not pollution but "dust particles"as they are now being referred to by Govt as well as silly PBS sources.

Agreed, "someone out there will enjoy it", but plenty of people out there would enjoy 700 million baht too!

Not so sure about any big bucks for TV rights - none of the channels have paid much before - and 15,000 baht a ticket is way, way above previous prices.

Tickets for Blackpink's last tour in Bangkok were from 1,700 baht, average around 3,500 , and tickets for Britney Spears were from 3,500 baht.

• Cool 1

3 hours ago, Pi_Tim said:

Sure, tourists from all over the world are going to fly down to Phuket to assist to a concert given by a Thai-Idol ... !! lol 😂

Not anymore 🤭

Not only is this arrogance to do these concerts at this time but also stupid given the current covid situation.  You would think the govt would try to keep large gatherings to a minimum such as concerts, football matches etc. and I see there will be a huge music festival going on for weeks in Pattaya.  And the govt thinks opening bars is dangerous.  Do these guys have no clue?

6 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Well as we know now she is not appearing but in answer to whom it will attract then I guess their are many in TAT who wanted K-Pop star Lalisa “Lisa” Manoban because of the upskirt photo shots they are maybe into, because clearly they have no competency  for business.