Jump to content

News Forum - Alcohol ban predicted to damage Thailand’s reopening, reputation


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well, if  "the point of vaccinating people" is to have more dying from Covid now than were dying from Covid six months ago, and twice as many dying from Covid as countries that have had half as many vaccinated, then the UK's doing pretty well ...

... if on the other hand it's to vaccinate so many that deaths from Covid are now a fraction of what they were so that you can then have "an open country", I'd suggest that countries like Portugal have understood "the point of vaccinating people" rather better.

Because the strain got worse ..... serintity now serinity now ......... what planet you on

20 mil dead 

think that number if you can’t get that number in your head as big please don’t respond again 

more dead Americans then all wars last 120 years 

 

Edited by Smithydog
Unnecessary disparaging comment about another member removed
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uk doing ok 

go look at numbers all those people had mothers fathers kids you name it 

20 mil UN numbers and rising 

so it’s effected billions 

this fool says open bar it saves the world 

Edited by Smithydog
Derogatory remark removed
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pi_Tim said:

Exactly, to try to live without Covid is an utopia, the key is to protect the maximum of people. One big problem that we see now in Bangkok, is that the majority of "double doses vaccinated" were with Sinovac and need a 3rd shot already, that is not available yet !

So when they said they will reach 80% coverage soon, it is not 80% protected

Yes it is the only way. Yeah that big fib of majority of folk vaccinated is nothing more than a fabricated tale. I think that is why they stopped persecuting folk for fake news because they are the actual ones who take the cake on all levels. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Randalltexcobb said:

Because the strain got worse ..... serintity now serinity now ......... what planet you on

20 mil dead 

think that number if you can’t get that number in your head as big please don’t respond again 

more dead Americans then all wars last 120 years 

20 million dead? What planet did you get your facts from? 

 

We have proven effective therapeutics, and we know what groups are most at risk. 

 

Stop the ridiculous overreaction and fear mongering. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several posts have been amended as members have used disparaging or derogatory remarks against other members.

Watch your emotions when posting and maintain a civil debate.

Moderator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This just demonstrates the depth of stupidity and lack of care for businesses and workers from this government. Zero financial aid given for their enforced closures is a disgrace, especially now when they are offering outrageous sums of money for celebrity guests, as legitimate businesses are deliberately and mercilessly destroyed!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

A bunch of inebriated people packed together in a bar breathing and thereby exchanging respiratory droplets with each other. What could possibly go wrong ? Imagine what will happen if there are serious outbreaks in the various tourist areas a few weeks after the re-opening. The Land of Smiles will turn into the Land of Frowns in no time. And any would-be tourists will steer clear of Thailand.

Well that’s it in a nutshell mate. Forget all the issues of rights and wrongs of approach.  If this virus increases or there are bars and restaurants closed down because of a cluster of infections, the economic impact  for the tourist industry could be disastrous. Images of foreigners being shipped off to quarantine hospitals will not be a good sign. 
 

Thailand, as every other country, has to step forward and out of the dark of this pandemic. By now, they have some protection of serious illness in that over a third of adults are vaccinated and possibly just as many have had the virus and survived it. Tourists coming in are all vaccinated also. That still leaves an awful lot of people who are not protected and numbers could well increase. It would be interesting to know if the planning for this opening also includes a proper plan of what to do if numbers do start to rise? 
 

Interesting months ahead. Here’s hoping it all goes well 🤞🏻

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well that’s it in a nutshell mate. Forget all the issues of rights and wrongs of approach.  If this virus increases or there are bars and restaurants closed down because of a cluster of infections, the economic impact  for the tourist industry could be disastrous. Images of foreigners being shipped off to quarantine hospitals will not be a good sign. 
 

Thailand, as every other country has to step forward and out of the dark of this pandemic. By now, they have some protection of serious illness in that over a third of adults are vaccinated and possibly just as many have had the virus and survived it. Tourists coming in are all vaccinated also. That still leaves an awful lot of people who are not protected and numbers could well increase it would be interesting to know if the planning for this opening also includes a proper plan of what to do if numbers do start to rise? 
 

Interesting months ahead. Here’s hoping it all goes well 🤞🏻

 

The topic is an interesting one. Yes and no answers will be determined by the individuals perception. 

As far as a total ban it doesn't take a genius to figure out the ramifications involved for not only travelers but the local populace including us local falangs. 

Soidog is right. Thailand like every country has to step forward and into the light. How can people travel when so many restrictions apply? It defeats the purpose in the first place.

Only when projects such as the Universal vaccine being developed at Massachusetts General Hospital succeed can we travel fully without fear of infection but if things are still dodgy then continue banning recreation travel. A full ban on alcohol contributes to this state of affairs anyway.    

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Open alcohol consumption at the prime tourist destinations. If the Thai government want to impose restrictions everywhere else to curb infections...that's their prerogative. But tourists from overseas want a holiday. They are vaccinated and tested. Remember, you are trying to attract tourists..... 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Open alcohol consumption at the prime tourist destinations. If the Thai government want to impose restrictions everywhere else to curb infections...that's their prerogative. But tourists from overseas want a holiday. They are vaccinated and tested. Remember, you are trying to attract tourists..... 

Maybe just make all hotels to  constantly stock up their mini-bars with complimentary alcoholic drinks, problem solved. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

My guess would be that solely relying on vaccines even when 70%+ of the population are vaccinated doesn't work, so you need to take other measures as well (not instead) until maybe 95% are not only vaccinated but have built up immunity.

Looking at the British expert medical and scientific view, their is that solely relying on vaccines even when 70%+ of the population are vaccinated doesn't work, so you need to take other measures as well (not instead) until maybe 95% are not only vaccinated but have built up immunity.

Looks like I made a lucky guess 😂.

Interesting point actually - given how long Covid has been around now combined with the woeful vaccination programme, ie the large majority unvaccinated, it would be fascinating to know just what level of built up immunity there is.

Guess we might find out the hard way soon (or hopefully not)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Interesting point actually - given how long Covid has been around now combined with the woeful vaccination programme, ie the large majority unvaccinated, it would be fascinating to know just what level of built up immunity there is.

Guess we might find out the hard way soon (or hopefully not)

Particularly hard to know in Thailand given the paucity of testing, so those who may have some level of protection from being infected may be completely unaware of it - not that it really matters vaccination-wise, as being vaccinated post infection gives even more protection.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously - what is wrong with policy makers here? who wants to holiday to a place where you can't drink (assuming you do drink, which is the majority of people); by all accounts everywhere outside of Phuket is a dead ghost town. Do these morons in charge think they're going to get anywhere near the predicted numbers or tourists in??

Before anyone comments with 'go somewhere else then', that's the whole point - we will and it's ordinary Thais that will suffer.

I sometimes wonder what goes through the heads of politicians; totally out of touch. Idiots. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Damage Thailands reputation among barflys who value alcohol above actually enjoying life. Who would want to attract that calibre of foreigner anyways. 

In my circles, the decision to ban alcohol has been favourable for the countrys reputation.

I suspect thats a sentiment shared by the majority of high quality tourists.

Most people like a drink. A drink on the beach or with a meal does not make someone a barfly. Get off your high horse; you're in the small minority. 'High quality tourists'? have you heard yourself?? 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Stonker said:

So only the only the "tattooed shirtless tourists" are likely to be any sort of problem "re the virus and drinking" ... I see.

I may be wrong, but the last time I looked testing for Covid, whether in the UK or anywhere else, reflected how many people had Covid, not how many were dying from Covid 😂.

Lets see how you laugh in a few months time if the country does open up.

PS, most of the people dying from covid in the UK at the moment are unvaccinated, that is a stark warning for the masses of unvaccinated in Thailand. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Lets see how you laugh in a few months time if the country does open up.

PS, most of the people dying from covid in the UK at the moment are mostly unvaccinated, that is a stark warning for the masses of unvaccinated in Thailand. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do drink alcohol but OK with the ban, didn't affect me.

Anyways alcohol is shit in Thailand: either buffalo pee Chang or cheap disgusting Australian wine.

Good imported alcohol sold in Tops / Gourmet, including some nice craft beers which you won't get in a restaurant.

Edited by sangchai
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JamesR said:

PS, most of the people dying from covid in the UK at the moment are mostly unvaccinated, that is a stark warning for the masses of unvaccinated in Thailand. 

The statement of deaths mainly occurring amongst unvaccinated is correct.

And the fact that there's a low vaccination rate in Thailand while the government is opening up the country is what I've been warning for ever since they announced it (far too early).

Fortunately it appears that they are announcing things, whilst at the same time making it so unappealing to come here that the opening is mainly in name and the actual large inflow won't happen just yet. 

I do expect that when it eventually does happen, it will still be too early.

But in true Thai style, they'll find someone else to blame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

The statement of deaths mainly occurring amongst unvaccinated is correct.

And the fact that there's a low vaccination rate in Thailand while the government is opening up the country is what I've been warning for ever since they announced it (far too early).

Fortunately it appears that they are announcing things, whilst at the same time making it so unappealing to come here that the opening is mainly in name and the actual large inflow won't happen just yet. 

I do expect that when it eventually does happen, it will still be too early.

But in true Thai style, they'll find someone else to blame.

And my worry is the farangs will be blamed, the Thais then might really  get those catapults out, the ones they threatened to use on us last year. 

Oh and if we get hit by a projectile we will be blamed for walking into its path, if we hadn't been there it wouldn't have happened we will be told. 🤣

I think I will stay away for another month or so to see how it pans out before booking anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, sangchai said:

I do drink alcohol but OK with the ban, didn't affect me.

Anyways alcohol is shit in Thailand: either buffalo pee Chang or cheap disgusting Australian wine.

Good imported alcohol sold in Tops / Gourmet, including some nice craft beers which you won't get in a restaurant.

Buy some new glasses as all tourist bars sell European beer.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JamesR said:

And my worry is the farangs will be blamed, the Thais then might really  get those catapults out, the ones they threatened to use on us last year. 

Oh and if we get hit by a projectile we will be blamed for walking into its path, if we hadn't been there it wouldn't have happened we will be told. 🤣

I think I will stay away for another month or so to see how it pans out before booking anything. 

I don't have the same unpleasant experience with projectiles, but I agree that anyone wanting to come for a holiday would do better to wait at the very least a few months.

Not only is everything unclear and could lead to unpleasant and unexpected surprises, only think of the prospect of testing falsely positive and then being quarantined, or your home country changing the rules and facing problems on return.

And unless you're in very specific areas here you'll find everything closed and Thailand being a shadow of its former self. 

Hardly a place for a well-deserved holiday at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I don't have the same unpleasant experience with projectiles, but I agree that anyone wanting to come for a holiday would do better to wait at the very least a few months.

Not only is everything unclear and could lead to unpleasant and unexpected surprises, only think of the prospect of testing falsely positive and then being quarantined, or your home country changing the rules and facing problems on return.

And unless you're in very specific areas here you'll find everything closed and Thailand being a shadow of its former self. 

Hardly a place for a well-deserved holiday at the moment.

The projectiles via catapult was only a threat on one of the mass media sites re farangs walking around not wearing masks.

I was in Phuket last year for seven months when Phuket was really shut and the bars and clubs and most things were genuinely shut, I drove about 50 kms on a trip around Phuket and I saw two other farangs, it was deserted.

But I understand it has opened to some extent now.

I would be staying in my house in a quiet area of Phuket which is in a private area with security guards and traffic control etc.

My main aim is to do daily swims in the sea, walking six kms around the reservoir in the national park, and cycle around the private park in my housing area.

A bar etc will be just a once a week meet up with the lads so those things are not that important.

But there is the threat of us farangs being blamed if the virus runs wild there.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Randalltexcobb said:

Because the strain got worse ..... serintity now serinity now ......... what planet you on

20 mil dead 

think that number if you can’t get that number in your head as big please don’t respond again 

more dead Americans then all wars last 120 years 

Millions on the Planet not just America Randalltexcobb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Thaired said:

This just demonstrates the depth of stupidity and lack of care for businesses and workers from this government. Zero financial aid given for their enforced closures is a disgrace, especially now when they are offering outrageous sums of money for celebrity guests, as legitimate businesses are deliberately and mercilessly destroyed!

This is Thailand though Thaired its not the West. They don't understand that money there spending could buy more vaccines they would rather ask for Donated vaccines then use the cash saved on a stupid reopening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well that’s it in a nutshell mate. Forget all the issues of rights and wrongs of approach.  If this virus increases or there are bars and restaurants closed down because of a cluster of infections, the economic impact  for the tourist industry could be disastrous. Images of foreigners being shipped off to quarantine hospitals will not be a good sign. 
 

Thailand, as every other country, has to step forward and out of the dark of this pandemic. By now, they have some protection of serious illness in that over a third of adults are vaccinated and possibly just as many have had the virus and survived it. Tourists coming in are all vaccinated also. That still leaves an awful lot of people who are not protected and numbers could well increase. It would be interesting to know if the planning for this opening also includes a proper plan of what to do if numbers do start to rise? 
 

Interesting months ahead. Here’s hoping it all goes well 🤞🏻

Easy Soidog they will blame Tourists and turn it all on us.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • BigHewer locked this topic
  • BigHewer unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use