News Forum - Alcohol ban predicted to damage Thailand’s reopening, reputation

Thaiger

1 hour ago, vlad said:

Stonker who's fault is it people are unable to work and struggling financially ? You seem to want to put the blame on Tourists for wanting a holiday. There's only one to blame for there woe's. If the PM acted quickly and procured the correct vaccine last year tourists would be flocking in and most of the entertainment industry would be sustainable. So stop blaming people for wanting a holiday.

I sometimes wonder if there's an alternative universe with a similar forum and a similar @Stonker.

I've said repeatedly, clearly, categorically and consistently that the government's vaccine  procurement was appallingly and inexcusably bad.

I've also said repeatedly, clearly, categorically and consistently that I don't blame tourists for either "wanting a holiday" or for spreading Covid  -  but I DO blame the government for not only allowing but encouraging tourism as it's inevitable that Covid will be spread as a result.

A few Thais who don't care but will benefit from tourism themselves want it, but the rest absolutely don't.

I live in a tourist-dependent area (domestic, not foreign), and this is high season but here's a photo I took when cycling round this morning - they've not only put up signs saying that everywhere's closed to tourists due to Covid, but they've hung them over the original signs telling tourists where the attractions are!

IMG20211031080403.thumb.jpg.b0f36ea339937e363fe048153ef2055b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Sounds like serious drinkers need to stay in the UK. 

Probably right - or the govt unwrap their protectionist behaviour and open the country up to the benefit of everyone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Vlad, being allowed to travel doesn't mean you have to.

We live in a country where not even half the population is protected by the vaccine and you don't need anyone to tell you or allow you to do something that could put others in harm's way.

If you're clever enough to know it's wrong and blame the PM for it, you can be clever enough not to follow his advice as well!

The ones who are fully vaccinated are lucky and they ought to have some consideration for others. If instead they had been last in line for a jab, they would surely expect the same!

You can't blame anyone else Bob. Who's shoulders bear the blame for Thailand's vaccine roll out. ??

Well, as I said, while we blame the government it is not a requirement to say "it's not my fault, so blame the PM and to hell with my fellow countrypeople".

We know what makes matters worse and there's no need whatsoever to choose that.

I could remind you that there were many that said months ago "it's all nonsense and we should open up". But we didn't do that.

And for the people who are unvaccinated and unprotected, nothing has changed.

We should all have the consideration to wait for thise who want the jab and were not offered one yet, as if it was yourself who was still waiting.

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

Well, as I said, while we blame the government it is not a requirement to say "it's not my fault, so blame the PM and to hell with my fellow countrypeople".

We know what makes matters worse and there's no need whatsoever to choose that.

I could remind you that there were many that said months ago "it's all nonsense and we should open up". But we didn't do that.

And for the people who are unvaccinated and unprotected, nothing has changed.

We should all have the consideration to wait for thise who want the jab and were not offered one yet, as if it was yourself who was still waiting.

S who is to blame bob ??

5 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Sounds like serious drinkers need to stay in the UK. 

Why?

You can get a drink in Phuket easily at the bars as told by a friend who has lived there for years.

He did say a lot were closed due to no tourist-customers as most of the customers currently are people who live there. 

A friend in CM said he has always been able to get a drink, they sit outside the bar/restaurant and the beer bottles are on the table in open display for anyone to see.

I am not talking of some little village but in the centre of the town in CM.

They said lots of places are open and selling beer etc. 

It must be the same across the country I think, this ''beer ban'' is just talk as far as I can see.

12 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Why?

You can get a drink in Phuket easily at the bars as told by a friend who has lived there for years.

He did say a lot were closed due to no tourist-customers as most of the customers currently are people who live there. 

A friend in CM said he has always been able to get a drink, they sit outside the bar/restaurant and the beer bottles are on the table in open display for anyone to see.

I am not talking of some little village but in the centre of the town in CM.

They said lots of places are open and selling beer etc. 

It must be the same across the country I think, this ''beer ban'' is just talk as far as I can see.

So what is all the whining about? Maybe the girlie bars are closed.