News Forum - Alcohol ban predicted to damage Thailand’s reopening, reputation

Thaiger

12 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Damage Thailands reputation among barflys who value alcohol above actually enjoying life. Who would want to attract that calibre of foreigner anyways. 

In my circles, the decision to ban alcohol has been favourable for the countrys reputation.

I suspect thats a sentiment shared by the majority of high quality tourists.

Nonsense, bar flys are one thing but then we have high quality tourists who generally like a beer, glass or bottle of wine with lunch or dinner. You must know an awful lot of traveling quakers to make a comment like this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

So only the only the "tattooed shirtless tourists" are likely to be any sort of problem "re the virus and drinking" ... I see.

I may be wrong, but the last time I looked testing for Covid, whether in the UK or anywhere else, reflected how many people had Covid, not how many were dying from Covid 😂.

And the majority who are dying refused to be vaccinated.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Randalltexcobb said:

They die every day at the end of bar 

what is flying club ,open your eyes 

they jump when broken 

get your head out of the jar before it’s to late .... rethink ..hook  in get to 7/11 rant about how whole world against you and ignore the 20 mil dead on Un numbers and that will double 

the whole of aust plus 

but you need a 55 b beer ,god bless this man 

I will say this too ..... tell me how many bar drunks that did jump are remembered 

Knock yourself out mate 

drunks are the most pathetic human in Pattaya ,lady pickings up bottles has more respect in community .

you did hear the comments because you are the comments 

I gotta say, this is the most incoherent post on the thread. Must be drunk out of his mind at an illegal bar in Pattaya.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

"So only the only the "tattooed shirtless tourists" are likely to be any sort of problem "re the virus and drinking" ... I see."

I don't see, the original comment from whoever it was stated the only tourists who drink in Thailand are shirtless tattooed farangs, I of course disagreed.

"I may be wrong, but the last time I looked testing for Covid, whether in the UK or anywhere else, reflected how many people had Covid, not how many were dying from Covid 😂."

And in an open country where there has been mass vaccination it is what you would expect that is the point of vaccinating people. 

Well, if  "the point of vaccinating people" is to have more dying from Covid now than were dying from Covid six months ago, and twice as many dying from Covid as countries that have had half as many vaccinated, then the UK's doing pretty well ...

... if on the other hand it's to vaccinate so many that deaths from Covid are now a fraction of what they were so that you can then have "an open country", I'd suggest that countries like Portugal have understood "the point of vaccinating people" rather better.

12 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Damage Thailands reputation among barflys who value alcohol above actually enjoying life. Who would want to attract that calibre of foreigner anyways. 

In my circles, the decision to ban alcohol has been favourable for the countrys reputation.

I suspect thats a sentiment shared by the majority of high quality tourists.

9 minutes ago, Disenfranchised said:

And the majority who are dying refused to be vaccinated.

Something I'm not contesting at all.

The point I'm making is that unfortunately the majority of people in Thailand have yet to be given that option with viable vaccines, so why treat them as if they have and put them at risk just so a few tourists who aren't going to be at risk can enjoy a holiday ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Greeneyes said:

Don't you realize what a 'Sherman Tanker' you sound.. delicately sipping Krug.. FFS   INPMSL 😂😂😂

Don't you realise that's how it was intended to sound???

WACD 😂 😂 😂

13 minutes ago, Disenfranchised said:

Nonsense, bar flys are one thing but then we have high quality tourists who generally like a beer, glass or bottle of wine with lunch or dinner. You must know an awful lot of traveling quakers to make a comment like this.

He even doesn't that people like him damage the reputation of Thailand. He not mentioned that incompetent clowns in charge, corruption, scams and coups are damaging the reputation of Thailand. This shows their level and mindset and not can reflect themself like little kids and thats why they don't know what damage the reputation or what is the difference between high end destination with proper standards and infrastructure. Not able to make a proper side walk and proper wiring but want to be high end is just pathetic. Wanna be a Singapore but not skilled and not even understand about that it needs decades to build up and needs skilled and competent people so the opposite of the one who talking about reputation without reflecting their reputation or reflecting the difference between  Singapore developped countries in Europe or high end destinations or the difference in education. They even cannot reflect that the with a bit education people see them as clowns about their incompetent level, mindset when they do their comments and everybody realize how stupid they are and thinking if they ever saw a school from inside or why their heads so empty to make such comments or anouncements. But sure this is only possible with people who never learned to reflect themself, never learned critical thinking and never had a proper education.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Stardust said:

This guy was never in a world class destination and never been a high quality tourist. He has never seen Monacco in his life or could afford to go in a restaurant there. And for sure he would be not welcomed there to tell people not to enjoy their wine, grappa and champagner there. He is on the low level but want to talk about high end.

I'm not sure when you were last in "Monacco", but the idea that Monaco only caters to "high quality tourists" is pretty misinformed.

The residents may be affluent, but on a per resident basis Monaco has more cheap-charlie day trippers going to see how the other half live than any other country in Western Europe. 

It would be interesting to know what is your definition of “high quality tourists”. If it means those who are wealthy, you are way of the mark. The vast majority of tourists, wealthy, middle class, or otherwise, drink alcohol to varying degrees. Not everyone is a barfly, far from it. As one Thai official recently mentioned, drink alcohol whilst dining is inextricably linked in Western culture. 

A continued alcohol ban will only increase the reluctance of tourists to come to Thailand when there are other attractive destinations which have no such restrictions, and  where visitors do not have to complete an obstacle course to actually get into the country.

Not sure what circles you move in. Maybe American Prohibition Era?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jetboy said:

It would be interesting to know what is your definition of “high quality tourists”. If it means those who are wealthy, you are way of the mark. The vast majority of tourists, wealthy, middle class, or otherwise, drink alcohol to varying degrees. Not everyone is a barfly, far from it. As one Thai official recently mentioned, drink alcohol whilst dining is inextricably linked in Western culture. 

A continued alcohol ban will only increase the reluctance of tourists to come to Thailand when there are other attractive destinations which have no such restrictions, and  where visitors do not have to complete an obstacle course to actually get into the country.

Not sure what circles you move in. Maybe American Prohibition Era?

In the circle which cannot think, reflect themself the reality outside their bubbles, never traveled around the world, fact and learn resistant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamey27 said:

If you’re vaccinated you shouldn’t be scared of the unvaccinated 

I'm vaccinated, fortunately, but I'm the only person in the district I know of who's had Pfizer apart from schoolchildren (aged 12-18).

Government employees and their families have been vaccinated with Sinovac, and a few others have had an initial dose of Sinovac to be followed in a couple of months by a dose of AZ.

Nobody else has had anything.

They're no more and no less "scared of the unvaccinated" than of anyone else, but I don't think it's unreasonable for them to be "scared" of Covid, for themselves and their families.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

The real bottom line is get everyone good vaccines and have the jabbed for safety before opening. Their stupidity is not helping things but only making it worse.

Exactly, to try to live without Covid is an utopia, the key is to protect the maximum of people. One big problem that we see now in Bangkok, is that the majority of "double doses vaccinated" were with Sinovac and need a 3rd shot already, that is not available yet !

So when they said they will reach 80% coverage soon, it is not 80% protected

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Disenfranchised said:

Maybe he never saw a good restaurant from inside or any quality destinations I also wondering where he goes if he see only shirtless drunked people or maybe he is clown who goes into a brothel and complain that there are only prostitutes inside or like one who goes into a beer tent in the Oktoberfest and complain that they are drinking beer there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As of yesterday, Thailand Plus Website (replacement of COE) was not operational and the SHA+ hotel did not package the ATK test in top of the PCR test ...

80% of travellers are holding their flights, some planes are already cancelled for next week (See latest ASEAN NOW news)

The reputation is already damaged .....

Not to serve alcohol will only make sure more cancellations will happen for December !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamey27 said:

So as i ask everyone who is not in favor of returning back to normal life how much longer are you going to live in abject fear of this virus? How much longer do you want to keep people locked away like slaves? 3 more years? 10 more years? Living like this for the rest of your life? Get a grip on reality boomer there’s vaccines, this virus is never going to go away, if you’re this scared then stay home and never leave.. see how easy that was 

"Locked away like slaves" etc, etc, etc 😂 ...

I think you're the one that needs to "get a grip on reality", or at least on your imagination.

The only noticeable differences to life around me is that schools are closed, which everyone is tired of, everyone wears masks routinely, which no one gets upset about, and there are no tourists which has hit the local economy hard but everyone's living with it until they're properly vaccinated.

They're the ones who've closed down all the local tourist spots to outsiders.

They're not locking themselves away, just locking outsiders out.

IMG20211028075811.jpg

IMG20211028075802.jpg

8 hours ago, WildIrishRover said:

"Up our game in Thailand"???? Thats hilarious.....Thailand is on the rocks already, desperately hoping the November 1 re-opening won't cause another wave of Covid, because they just don't know what else to do!!!! The alcohol ban will up the game alright, the tourists will "up sticks" and fly to Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, where such stupidity is not in play.....yep, keep the alcohol ban......🤣😂🤭

Not yet they won't. They're all shut.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

The problem is that apart from the international tourists they won't be.

Thailand is still under 40% vaccinated, and most of those are with one or both doses of Sinovac which is effectively  useless against Delta which is 98% of all Covid cases here.

It's easy to say, but impossible to do as yet.

Thailand will not reach herd immunity until after New Year

• Like 2

While I believe a heaving sweaty nightclub is a huge danger to the spread of Covid, having a glass of wine at dinner is not, a blanket ban is illogical, allow the sale in bars and restaurants. 
The Bangkok Post finally had an article in today’s paper that addresses where the real risk lies and that is in migrant workers. 
Tourists are fully vaccinated and double tested as opposed to the Thai population that is tested at 0.75 people per 1000. The risk is internal, how can you even compare a tourist having wine at dinner to the conditions inside migrant work camps. 
The migrants are untested and unvaccinated crossing the border illegally in many cases, yet everyone is focused on tourists. 
That being said I have no problem with them holding back a bit on opening, allowing things to progress slowly for the fist month to provide a little more time for vaccinations to increase and businesses to get a better footing before any real numbers start arriving. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TPtime said:

While I believe a heaving sweaty nightclub is a huge danger to the spread of Covid, having a glass of wine at dinner is not, a blanket ban is illogical, allow the sale in bars and restaurants. 
The Bangkok Post finally had an article in today’s paper that addresses where the real risk lies and that is in migrant workers. 
Tourists are fully vaccinated and double tested as opposed to the Thai population that is tested at 0.75 people per 1000. The risk is internal, how can you even compare a tourist having wine at dinner to the conditions inside migrant work camps. 
The migrants are untested and unvaccinated crossing the border illegally in many cases, yet everyone is focused on tourists. 
That being said I have no problem with them holding back a bit on opening, allowing things to progress slowly for the fist month to provide a little more time for vaccinations to increase and businesses to get a better footing before any real numbers start arriving. 

All true, but missing the most important point.

Those carrying the virus, will sell you your food on a market, souvenir at an attraction or "clean" your hotel room.

BINGO!

And now the vaccinated tourist likely asymptomatically carries and spreads the virus too...

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ace035 said:

Thailand will not reach herd immunity until after New Year

"Herd immunity" is a bit of an outdated concept, but I'd say that sort of level with vaccines that work won't be until after Songkran, at best.

• Like 2

Just read most of the comments. A few pointers who want to debate people who do not live in the UK will jump on the " Ah yes but people in the UK are still dying from Covid " what there not looking at is yes there are people dying but most of these are unvaccinated. Most here in the UK are vaccinated so except the risk's were not running around like headless chickens. The reason ? because we have had a massive vaccine roll out with most new vaccinated with a good quality vaccine not a cheap ineffective vaccine. What will happen is most of the entertainment venues that are desperate for staff will bring in unvaccinated  people because they need thousands, from your humble bar cleaner to bar girl outside holding a menu. Do you think there bosses will stump up the cost of a pcr test ? We have gone through lockdowns, entertainment venues, shops, all closed until we were safe to open up its not perfect but it needed to be done sadly Thai vaccinations are not close to safety so you will see cases rise and the 1st Escuse will be its the the Tourists fault for spreading the virus not the fact that they will spread it because not enough have been inoculated to work in that industry. 

Edited by Smithydog
Unnecessary disparaging comments about other members removed.

Well, if  "the point of vaccinating people" is to have more dying from Covid now than were dying from Covid six months ago, and twice as many dying from Covid as countries that have had half as many vaccinated, then the UK's doing pretty well ...

... if on the other hand it's to vaccinate so many that deaths from Covid are now a fraction of what they were so that you can then have "an open country", I'd suggest that countries like Portugal have understood "the point of vaccinating people" rather better.

Because the strain got worse ..... serintity now serinity now ......... what planet you on

20 mil dead 

think that number if you can’t get that number in your head as big please don’t respond again 

more dead Americans then all wars last 120 years 

Edited by Smithydog
Unnecessary disparaging comment about another member removed