News Forum - Alcohol ban predicted to damage Thailand’s reopening, reputation

Thaiger

With Thailand’s November 1 reopening fast approaching, Thai businesses are calling on the government to quickly lift all the restrictions on alcohol sales in the country. They advise that the nightlife that millions flocked to Thailand for before the Covid-19 pandemic, is being destroyed by the long-term closures. Furthermore, they warn that reopening without any nightlife will discourage people from visiting and drive them to other holiday spots where they are allowed to go out at night. The nightmare of nearly 18 months of Covid-19 closing the borders to nearly all international travel is finally winding down for many businesses […]

The story Alcohol ban predicted to damage Thailand’s reopening, reputation as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Well with such a late start on publishing the reopening details, November was a bust anyway. Even so, no alcohol means few tourists. It’s a valid complaint and worry by business. Without the bars and clubs open it detracts from the energy and fun. To get tourists to show and spend, they need to feel they are getting value for their money.  

• Like 8

Damage Thailands reputation among barflys who value alcohol above actually enjoying life. Who would want to attract that calibre of foreigner anyways. 

In my circles, the decision to ban alcohol has been favourable for the countrys reputation.

I suspect thats a sentiment shared by the majority of high quality tourists.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

what damage the re opening is this PRAYUT CLOWN, step away and make place for another clown please,. tired of the retard, what damaged all was song kran and any other decision PRAYUT decided was ok... throw up over this clown

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Damage Thailands reputation among barflys who value alcohol above actually enjoying life. Who would want to attract that calibre of foreigner anyways. 

In my circles, the decision to ban alcohol has been favourable for the countrys reputation.

And what kind of circle are you hanging in? With my friends being from all walks of life, they want the choice to have a martini or beer or whiskey where ever they feel like on holiday or business. The ban is a huge thorn in this countries throat. My thinking is it isn’t high quality but the wealthy they want. And the wealthy drink expensive alcohol. And may I ask what you really think a high quality tourist is? Do you think Russel Crowe doesn’t drink? Or are they missionaries in your eyes? Just wondering what your idea and thoughts are. 

• Like 18

The real bottom line is get everyone good vaccines and have the jabbed for safety before opening. Their stupidity is not helping things but only making it worse.

• Like 9

Having wine, beer, or a cocktail at dinner or your hotel is not the same thing as going to club in Patong. And TAT wants to attract tourists from countries that don’t have such restrictions, some never did. Most potential tourists don’t even know of these restrictions. So of course there will be tourists with reviews of disastrous “vacations” in Thailand.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lots of complain about the nightlife and entertainment venues reopening on November 1 and as of right now its still being proposed with no definite answer. If they have to reopen, just to be sure that all of the staffs & customers are vaccinated and since mass vaccination way too slow & not even 70% of the entire population not vaccinated yet. I do not see it happening on Nov 1.

• Like 3

Keep the alcohol ban!

Alcohol is responsible for more deaths and misery than Covid, while the sale of cheap booze in Thailand attracts the scum of the earth which brings associated crime.

Many high spending tourists avoid Thailand because of the unshirted tattooed hordes’ embarrassing behavior at Pattaya, Phuket and Khao San Road. Let’s get rid of them and use this opportunity to up our game in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

Does enjoying a drink or two mean you are a tattooed low life ??

I think the majority of middle class people enjoy having a drink on holiday, this does not make them scum.

For the last 8 years I have been coming to Thailand and enjoying a drink, and as far as I know I am a respectable middle class U.K. citizen. I’m not a drunk and don’t have any tattoos 

So to say people that enjoy a drink on holiday is very disrespectful.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Gieza said:

Keep the alcohol ban!

Alcohol is responsible for more deaths and misery than Covid, while the sale of cheap booze in Thailand attracts the scum of the earth which brings associated crime.

Many high spending tourists avoid Thailand because of the unshirted tattooed hordes’ embarrassing behavior at Pattaya, Phuket and Khao San Road. Let’s get rid of them and use this opportunity to up our game in Thailand.

You think those high spending tourist spent their time in the same places as “unshirted tattooed hordes” (what a description for people who can’t afford exclusive resorts)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rip255 said:

You must be a barrel of laughs to go out with for dinner.

Why do you people keep on mentioning barflys, in Phuket for instance there are very few of them.

Plus restaurants vastly outnumber bars.

Most people out for a drink at a bar, a restaurant, or a music club are in mixed groups or are couples, you must be living in your own world from twenty years ago.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Alavan said:

You think those high spending tourist spent their time in the same places as “unshirted tattooed hordes” (what a description for people who can’t afford exclusive resorts)

That is the problem with a lot of people, they mix with such people otherwise how would they know they were there and then think the rest of us are like them.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gieza said:

Keep the alcohol ban!

"Up our game in Thailand"???? Thats hilarious.....Thailand is on the rocks already, desperately hoping the November 1 re-opening won't cause another wave of Covid, because they just don't know what else to do!!!! The alcohol ban will up the game alright, the tourists will "up sticks" and fly to Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, where such stupidity is not in play.....yep, keep the alcohol ban......🤣😂🤭

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Rip255 said:

I am not too sure how you define high quality tourists, but I think that you will find that TH is more about quantity rather than quality. I also don't see the majority of HQ tourists being abstainers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gieza said:

Keep the alcohol ban!

Fine way to talk of 40 million “guests” that spend billions of baht in the country. 
“Land of Smiles”? 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Richard13 said:

Does enjoying a drink or two mean you are a tattooed low life ??

I think the majority of middle class people enjoy having a drink on holiday, this does not make them scum.

For the last 8 years I have been coming to Thailand and enjoying a drink, and as far as I know I am a respectable middle class U.K. citizen. I’m not a drunk and don’t have any tattoos 

So to say people that enjoy a drink on holiday is very disrespectful.

What is the difference between going to a restaurant and having a drink with you meal in the UK, France etc but for some reason the fool who made the comments about tattoos and drinks seems to think we have to get a tattoo before being able to have a drink in Thailand.

It is is funny you just need to laugh. 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alavan said:

You would have to wonder what his views are on Council house dwellers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, ace035 said:

just to be sure that all of the staffs & customers are vaccinated

The problem is that apart from the international tourists they won't be.

Thailand is still under 40% vaccinated, and most of those are with one or both doses of Sinovac which is effectively  useless against Delta which is 98% of all Covid cases here.

It's easy to say, but impossible to do as yet.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

What is the difference between going to a restaurant and having a drink with you meal in the UK, France etc but for some reason the fool who made the comments about tattoos and drinks seems to think we have to get a tattoo before being able to have a drink in Thailand.

It is is funny you just need to laugh. 🤣

The difference is that "in the UK, France, etc" most people are fully vaccinated with an effective vaccine, while here they're not.

... and also, of course, that in the UK two or three times as many are dying from Covid every day ...

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

So sell alcohol in tourist areas, to tourists who are real tourists and not expats and don't sell to Thais.

... unfortunately that would also necessitate the "real tourists" also staffing the bars, the taxis, and the motorbike taxis, etc, to work effectively so that may not go down too well ... 😂 ...

14 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The difference is that "in the UK, France, etc" most people are fully vaccinated with an effective vaccine, while here they're not.

... and also, of course, that in the UK two or three times as many are dying from Covid every day ...

Read the thread again from the start,  my reply was about a comment where only  tattooed shirtless tourists drink in Thailand not about the consequences re the virus and drinking. 

"... and also, of course, that in the UK two or three times as many are dying from Covid every day ..."

If you are not testing people then how can you know, a crystal ball? 

The grass in my back garden is never overgrown, I know because I never check it. 

And let us see what the death rate in Thailand is after a few months once they open as they have in the UK.

Oops, you will not know as not testing. 

• Like 4