News Forum - Tourism Ministry to invite K-pop megastar to perform at Phuket NYE celebration

Thaiger

Thai-born K-pop star Lalisa “Lisa” Manoban, from the band Blackpink, is being invited to perform during New Year celebrations on the southern island of Phuket. The cost won’t be cheap, but the government is defending the move. Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn says the superstar’s presence will help promote Thailand’s re-opening to the world. “The main key reason for bringing global artists for the New Year celebration is to announce to the world that Thailand is ready to fully re-open for tourists from everywhere in 2022.” The Bangkok Post reports that the Tourism Authority of Thailand has been in touch with […]

The story Tourism Ministry to invite K-pop megastar to perform at Phuket NYE celebration as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So the Sarasin Bridge is a venue that can accommodate at least 10,000 spectators? Really??? ……and by what transportation mode will these 10,000+ people get to there and back?

I assume that the toilet facilities will be the ocean….so at least that will not be a concern.

I just want to know exactly where the VIP viewing area will be so I can plant my beachchair early.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Waste of money which could be better spent to help those people affected by the lockdows and regulations. How many Thais are opera fans? Who--other than teens, gives 2 hoots about K-pop " mega stars" ???

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

do they understand that tourists don't even know who those "megastars" are?

She literally is one of the most famous people in the world at the moment 

Sure, not many old white dudes know her....

PS....It's a ridiculous event and shouldn't take place for many reasons, health and financial being the main reasons 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

She literally is one of the most famous people in the world at the moment 

Sure, not many old white dudes know her....

PS....It's a ridiculous event and shouldn't take place for many reasons, health and financial being the main reasons 

Haha, "one if the most famous people in the world" 🤭

No, "worldfamous" in Thailand, because she's Thai and part of a successful K-pop band. 

So, more accurately: she is one of the most famous K-pop stars.

And no good mouthing off to "old white dudes" as nobody older than 14 takes any notice of K-pop. Just look at their audience.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Haha, "one if the most famous people in the world" 🤭

No, "worldfamous" in Thailand, because she's Thai and part of a successful K-pop band. 

So, more accurately: she is one of the most famous K-pop stars.

And no good mouthing off to "old white dudes" as nobody older than 14 takes any notice of K-pop. Just look at their audience.

So a member of the most popular musical group in the world isn't one of the most famous people in the world?

She is a brand ambassador of the some of the biggest brands in the world that pay her millions

I'd name them, but old white guys wouldn't know 

Again, I think the event is absurd

But to dispute she isn't one of the most famous people in the world right now is just downright wrong

Oh and by the way, she's an awesome representative of Thailand 

Great, humble kid 

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

So a member of the most popular musical group in the world isn't one of the most famous people in the world?

She is a brand ambassador of the some of the biggest brands in the world that pay her millions

But to dispute she isn't one of the most famous people in the world right now is just downright wrong

Great, humble kid 

No, she isn't and you even provide the argument as you say that old white guys wouldn't know. Surely if she was one of the most famous people in the world they would know as well 😉

Yes, she's famous in a particular age group amongst K-pop fans.

That doesn't categorise as one of the most famous people in the world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glad they named it K-pop, as they are not singers and there is no performed music, so not musicians. 

Its all about costumes, sets, make-up, hair, and dancing. 

The "sounds" you hear from singer are auto-tune and the "music" is from a computer.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Glad they named it K-pop, as they are not singers and there is no performed music, so not musicians. 

Its all about costumes, sets, make-up, hair, and dancing. 

The "sounds" you hear from singer are auto-tune and the "music" is from a computer.  

Oh oh, be ready, the trolls are surely coming for you as an old white dude 😉

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Great, humble kid 

And she loves Thailand so much she lives her life in Korea 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pimoo2 said:

Waste of money which could be better spent to help those people affected by the lockdows and regulations. How many Thais are opera fans? Who--other than teens, gives 2 hoots about K-pop " mega stars" ???

For some reason, this just popped into my head:

image.jpeg.dc932879b68a589cb4c114119829702e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

And no good mouthing off to "old white dudes" as nobody older than 14 takes any notice of K-pop

Or those with with an equivalent  maturity of 14 year olds

"The cost won’t be cheap" is the best you can do?  Thai press is reporting the cost of the even at 100 million baht. A lot of normally apolitical Thais are pretty pissed off.

1 hour ago, vlad said:

Never heare'd her. World famous Thailand maybe. Try Coldplay or Muse there world famous. 

Never heard of Muse either, even if "there" famous.

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

global artists

Global , really .! They best acquaint thereselves with the global meaning of some of the hand gestures then for one is doing the cat scratch , one is saying F' off and one is giving it the heavy metal devil horns .. what's that about .. what are they called again .?

IMG_20211027_075532.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

Are you really that stupid? I mean this is just a ridiculous thing to say

She can't love her country because she lives somewhere else for her job?

God this forum is a cesspool of miserable people.......

17 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Are you really that stupid? I mean this is just a ridiculous thing to say

She can't love her country because she lives somewhere else for her job?

God this forum is a cesspool of miserable people.......

Come on, keep it together now😂

Does moaning about people moaning count as the same thing? 😉😉

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Come on, keep it together now😂

Sorry I have an affliction.......

When someone says something so incredibly stupid, I have to acknowledge to them that what they said is so incredibly stupid.......  :)

10 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

They were going to ask you to play in the band, but then they saw your post... 😒

and then they remembered the tracks were electronically created and on a USB stick already... 🤣

Next time Malc 😉 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I thought she was already coming along with the Italian dude? Are they coming or are they about to be invited? 

I think the Italian dude won't get anywhere near her. Not his type of music and his name's not Andrew 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Sorry I have an affliction.......

When someone says something so incredibly stupid, I have to acknowledge to them that what they said is so incredibly stupid.......  :)

Yes and that’s ok, though remember that their opinion is their opinion. I also get frustrated and could cheerfully throttle some people. I always remember the saying:

It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person. It’s near impossible to win an argument with a stupid one 😂

Keep challenging people mate. That’s what makes this forum fun at times. You always do it with a restrained amount of respect and I appreciate that 👍🏻