News Forum - Digital platforms to be subject to new regulations following draft decree

Thaiger

Digital platform businesses will be required to observe a number of new regulations in Thailand following cabinet’s recent approval of a draft decree. As reported by Reuters, a government spokesperson has confirmed the decree, which will apply to business both in and outside of Thailand, is aimed at maintaining financial and commercial stability, in addition to preventing damage to the public. Spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana confirmed that business falling into this category will need to notify the government before operating. Thanakorn specifically pointed to the increasing importance of digital platforms to both the economy and society, which had in turn created […]

The story Digital platforms to be subject to new regulations following draft decree as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It's about time that social media was brought to heel. The creators of these platforms have been given absolute freedom to do whatever they like for too long. It has given rise to "Freedom to say and do whatever you like", which isn't real freedom. True freedom is freedom to be responsible under the natural law. It's opposite is anarchy, which hav seen far too much of.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jason said:

It's about time that social media was brought to heel. The creators of these platforms have been given absolute freedom to do whatever they like for too long. It has given rise to "Freedom to say and do whatever you like", which isn't real freedom. True freedom is freedom to be responsible under the natural law. It's opposite is anarchy, which hav seen far too much of.

100% agree. Twitter and FB are the scourge of the world right now 

19 minutes ago, gummy said:

100% agree. Twitter and FB are the scourge of the world right now 

Interesting, if (imho) overly broad, comment.

I am starting to think that Thaiger Talk might be equally as bad. Yes, I am a relatively new member (just under 2 months), but I am already getting tired of the daily snide remarks, personal digs at people, blanket slurs against entire people and/or countries, wild assertions of 'fact', tribalism, etc. 

I wonder how much we as a species are capable of civilized comment or discussion without our social cues to guide us. There is research to show that human communication is roughly 7-38-55, or 55% of communication is through body language, 38% based on tone of voice and just 7% the actual words spoken.

And, surprise surprise, communication on Forums is just that 7% of the written word. No wonder it often seems hostile and open to manipulation.

Are Forums such as this inherently going to fail? Or, perhaps a better question is; are forums such as this always going to lead to unending conflict and argument?

I am starting to wonder. 

3 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

And, surprise surprise, communication on Forums is just that 7% of the written word. No wonder it often seems hostile and open to manipulation.

I think you may be over-analysing member's posts.  Unlike in-person, face to face discussion one cannot interpret body language unless emoji's are used (all too seldom 🙄).

Each of us will have a different opinion of a particular topic and not always expound the theory behind a simple like or dislike type post such as Gummy's.  I usually refrain from commenting on a subject such as this one due to the many variables although I could have posted in a similar vein as Gummy if I had time to explain my own lengthy misgivings toward certain aspects of social media.

Social media has turned the the world inside out and some platforms have grown far beyond the innocent beginnings for which they were and still are lauded by many users.

4 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I think you may be over-analysing member's posts.  Unlike in-person, face to face discussion one cannot interpret body language unless emoji's are used (all too seldom 🙄).

Each of us will have a different opinion of a particular topic and not always expound the theory behind a simple like or dislike type post such as Gummy's.  I usually refrain from commenting on a subject such as this one due to the many variables although I could have posted in a similar vein as Gummy if I had time to explain my own lengthy misgivings toward certain aspects of social media.

Social media has turned the the world inside out and some platforms have grown far beyond the innocent beginnings for which they were and still are lauded by many users.

Morning Kaptain

Perhaps I shouldn't have quoted Gummy's post to make my point; it was merely a catalyst of thoughts that I have been having and in and of itself not controversial or too remarkable (but, a perfectly reasonable post!).

No, I am talking more about communication among humans, and more specifically, among humans on-line. And, I am wondering about the efficacy of it.

I left that other place which can't be named because I got tired of posts based on which tribe a person was in, or where comments directed at a member were on a personal level rather than based on an idea or position regarding an issue, or were just far too general to have meaning, or were just being an a-hole simply because one can. Yes, perhaps I am somewhat of an idealist, but I joined Forums because I love the interplay of ideas and hoped to see more of that. Yes, your comment that Emojis can help, if used properly, is valid but I still find it lacking.

Perhaps we simply weren't meant to talk to each other under these circumstances.

I love a good conversation with plenty of new (to me, anyway) ideas and viewpoints, and hoped to find that on-line with a wider pool of thoughts. Instead, I have often found something worse, not better.

This is one of those thoughts that reverberates around the brain as I cycle, or swim, or do some other task, so I'll let it marinate and see what rises to the surface. Perhaps, if something interesting comes along, I'll give a shout out.

Cheers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

No, I am talking more about communication among humans, and more specifically, among humans on-line. And, I am wondering about the efficacy of it.

And therein lies one f the problems with all social media, especially the popular smart phone apps.  There is NO discussion per se, it's all one liner ping pong or unsubstantiated opinion and seldom challenged.  Nothing like a good round-table or bar-room discussion.

Modern communication has people hunched over their phone while travelling (even while driving), while eating at home or in a restaurant ... we've all seen it.

At least on a forum one can choose to debate a topic, share opinions and perhaps learn something.  One reason we require validation of data and links to sources is to ensure no misinformation or deliberate bias.  LINE which is most popular here has no such controls.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

And therein lies one f the problems with all social media, especially the popular smart phone apps.  There is NO discussion per se, it's all one liner ping pong or unsubstantiated opinion and seldom challenged.  Nothing like a good round-table or bar-room discussion.

Modern communication has people hunched over their phone while travelling (even while driving), while eating at home or in a restaurant ... we've all seen it.

At least on a forum one can choose to debate a topic, share opinions and perhaps learn something.  One reason we require validation of data and links to sources is to ensure no misinformation or deliberate bias.  LINE which is most popular here has no such controls.

Sadness often follow when honesty is expressed. Its unfortunate Skipper but I have to agree with you totally.

49 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

"Nothing like a good round-table or bar-room discussion."

Yes, we very much agree on that, but...

If you are sitting in that bar, the ideas are beginning to flow, the concepts are shimmering into view, etc. then some loud-mouthed former high-school jock butts in to say that "Lizard people really control the world. I know that it is true because my mechanic's cousin's ex-girlfriend's aunt saw some literature.". Then, that meek dude sitting in the corner decides that it is time for a projectile vomit. Next, some over-achieving lawyer threatens the bar owner with a lawsuit if he doesn't provide peanuts. That is then followed by a young lady who desperately wants to now if her nail polish is the right colour, followed by some guy who insists (INSISTS, DAMN IT!) that everything stops while he demonstrates how to light a fart, and so on, and so on, and so on.

I tend to just leave the bar. Or, log out.

Have a great day!

11 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

If you are sitting in that bar, the ideas are beginning to flow, the concepts are shimmering into view, etc. then some loud-mouthed former high-school jock butts in to say that "Lizard people really control the world. I know that it is true because my mechanic's cousin's ex-girlfriend's aunt saw some literature.". Then, that meek dude sitting in the corner decides that it is time for a projectile vomit. Next, some over-achieving lawyer threatens the bar owner with a lawsuit if he doesn't provide peanuts. That is then followed by a young lady who desperately wants to now if her nail polish is the right colour, followed by some guy who insists (INSISTS, DAMN IT!) that everything stops while he demonstrates how to light a fart, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Geez, you must drink in the wrong places and with the wrong people! 🥴

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

Geez, you must drink in the wrong places and with the wrong people! 🥴

I think you are right @KaptainRob as certainly not seen that in my years here. In fact I thought lighting farts was a party trick you left behind when leaving school.

“a need to oversee them”

Government: *allows everything going on for years*

Until.... 

What!???? People make money from their own work online nowadays!??? I suddenly feel needy. It's a need.... I... can't.... resist.... The need to oversee them. 

Dun dun duuuuunnn