News Forum - November reopening concerns majority of Thais, Department of Health survey shows

Thaiger

While many seem excited with the plan to reopen the country to vaccinated travellers on November 1, apparently the majority of Thais are concerned with how the Covid-19 situation will be with an influx of visitors from overseas. Thailand’s Department of Health conducted a survey from October 14 to 20 and found that 94% of participants are concerned with how the Covid-19 situation will be after the reopening, although the department did not report how many people took part in the survey. The department also reported that… 72% of participants believe that Covid-19 prevention measures should be tightened and vaccinations […]

The story November reopening concerns majority of Thais, Department of Health survey shows as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Still try to blame the tourist for bring covid they beter worry about working immigrants they bring in themself i not really belief this survey its typical thai blame somebody else 

everybody come in is checked before fly and after 

• Like 1

I think this feeling is widespread. I'm not a fan of surveys, but Thais are rightly concerned about "across the country" reopening. Not enough people are vaccinated yet. Thais see news from around the world. They see that opening too soon, before 80% double dose vaccination will lead to high hospital numbers and deaths. The Thai Government spent a good deal of last year and some of this year (until the Delta outbreak), telling of dirty foreigners bringing the virus. Some still have that mindset.

The Thais are now extremely wary about foreigners coming to the country. Interestingly, now the reverse is true. Foreigners are vaccinated and tested. It's the Thais (those who haven't had the chance to be vaccinated) and pose a threat to foreign tourists. So where to from here.

Re-igniting tourism can lead to a way out of the pandemic. It's a small start. One the wider Thai population can accept. Tourist areas, like Phuket, can get their populations vaccinated. Fully vaccinated tourists come. There is a start. The important thing for Thailand is to get vaccinated as soon as possible. The government should be making every effort to procure and secure vaccines to this end. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Prosaap said:

Still try to blame the tourist for bring covid they beter worry about working immigrants they bring in themself i not really belief this survey its typical thai blame somebody else 

I agree, but you can’t blame your average Thai for expressing such concerns. Remember, they have been indoctrinated since birth to think as Thailand as the best place in the world and to view foreigners with fear and scepticism. Siege mentality is a great way to build team spirit. It indoctrinates the idea that you can’t blame anything Thai, it’s everyone else.

In an interconnected global world, it’s easy to blame others. You can always find a thread of influence from outside. 1997 financial crash was the IMF’s fault. Street protests are outside influencers. Covid was brought in by migrant workers (wasn’t the Thais who brought them in). etc. If the decision to open early proves to cause another wave of Covid, I’m sure they will be able to find a thread that leads to a false document or a foreigner wandering out of a designated hotel awaiting a test. Not blaming someone means you have to accept you perhaps did something wrong yourself. That’s hard enough for a politician to accept in any society. In Thai society it’s impossible. The difference in Thailand is the foreigner is often the go to person to scapegoat as they rarely have an effective political opposition to blame. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

The Thai Government spent a good deal of last year and some of this year (until the Delta outbreak), telling of dirty foreigners bringing the virus. 

Well they predicted that well didn't they.

Alpha mutated in the UK because nobody would follow what the doctors were advising which lead to massive infections which allowed it to mutate and then made it way here and around the globe killing hundreds of thousands and causing lockdowns where you live.

Delta mutated in India.

That horse has bolted. Opening up to double vaxxed tourists who are tested before and after arrival isn't going to make any or much difference. But it will help to get some businesses up and running and employing many people. There won't be a flood of covid positive tourists showing up as you imagine.

Thais are too smart for that.

I believe you are an Aussie. I notice Melbourne has higher numbers than ever before so they opened up there. Makes sense right? Thai numbers have been decreasing since mid August  

16 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Remember, they have been indoctrinated since birth to think as Thailand as the best place in the world and to view foreigners with fear and scepticism

Says the bloke yesterday who was claiming the UK is perfect.

And denies the highly contagious UK strain comes from the UK and it must have come from foreigners.

Thailand is the best place in the world. I ag we with them. If there was a better place I would have moved there, not here. 

23 minutes ago, Soidog said:

In an interconnected global world, it’s easy to blame others. You can always find a thread of influence from outside. 1997 financial crash was the IMF’s fault

You were saying yesterday the UK alpha strain came from Italy or Germany.

Edited by RobMuir

23 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The difference in Thailand is the foreigner is often the go to person to scapegoat as they rarely have an effective political opposition to blame.

Must be those Italians and Germans 

28 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Well they predicted that well didn't they.

Alpha mutated in the UK because nobody would follow what the doctors were advising which lead to massive infections which allowed it to mutate and then made it way here and around the globe killing hundreds of thousands and causing lockdowns where you live.

Delta mutated in India.

That horse has bolted. Opening up to double vaxxed tourists who are tested before and after arrival isn't going to make any or much difference. But it will help to get some businesses up and running and employing many people. There won't be a flood of covid positive tourists showing up as you imagine.

Thais are too smart for that.

I believe you are an Aussie. I notice Melbourne has higher numbers than ever before so they opened up there. Makes sense right? Thai numbers have been decreasing since mid August  

But you should take into account the amount of testing undertaken. Thailand has approx 25% of its population tested. The less you test, the fewer are going to be identified as positive.

• Like 2

Majority of the Thais can’t think independently nor critically. All they do is following what they are told to do or what celebrities do. I’m not saying people in other countries are too much better, but the particular phenomenon is especially prominent in Thai culture. Therefore, their opinions are essentially worthless. 

• Like 4

We have to start somewhere, and at this point C19 is never going away, it will continue to mutate into other variance. We are insanely past the point where we need to learn to live with this terrible Chinese virus and get on with our lives.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr.Sivada said:

Majority of the Thais can’t think independently nor critically. All they do is following what they are told to do or what celebrities do. I’m not saying people in other countries are too much better, but the particular phenomenon is especially prominent in Thai culture. Therefore, their opinions are essentially worthless. 

Wow!

Just wow!!

• Like 1

Yes they should be concerned, how many are double vaxed now, a mere 28% I believe but hey, I don't make the rules, it's a clown who used to run around with a rifle in his hand. 555

TIT.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guevara said:

But you should take into account the amount of testing undertaken. Thailand has approx 25% of its population tested. The less you test, the fewer are going to be identified as positive.

I have been tested 6 times. Up the nose. Don't know if they count in the official figures.

Positive cases isn't really the issue. Most people just feel a bit crook and shake it off. The important one is the deaths. 

Thailand isn't doing too bad, and before the Alpha strain it was extremely low.

What concern is there? All foreigners entering need to test negative upon arrival before being released.  So what is there to be concerned about? They should be happy that money via tourism is coming into the country.

Tell them not to worry, what with the COE, no Thailand pass, no COE, no Thailand Pass, no sorry COE and then the grief of trying put all the pieces of the puzzle together for them. Such as things like the SHA plus hotels still only offering 7 or 14 day packages and no real guidance of where to find the hotels that will collect you from the airport and arrange you PCR test with a one night booking (booking.com and Agoda certainly aren’t much help)

I think Very few if any will come.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BBY said:

Tell them not to worry, what with the COE, no Thailand pass, no COE, no Thailand Pass, no sorry COE and then the grief of trying put all the pieces of the puzzle together for them. Such as things like the SHA plus hotels still only offering 7 or 14 day packages and no real guidance of where to find the hotels that will collect you from the airport and arrange you PCR test with a one night booking (booking.com and Agoda certainly aren’t much help)

I am absolutely confident that you'll be able to register using the Thailand Pass, hotels will be offering single night accommodation, you can book and pay for your transport and PCR Covid test (taken at the airport by the way), come Nov 2nd .....or the 3rd.....4th ......5th .......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saunk said:

What concern is there? All foreigners entering need to test negative upon arrival before being released.  So what is there to be concerned about? They should be happy that money via tourism is coming into the country.

I agree with you that the risk of it being imported by a vaccinated foreigner tested twice before release does significantly reduce the chances of infection. I may have misread the article, but did I see that you will also have to take an ATK on day 6 also? If not, then I guess there is a risk, albeit a small one. You could contract the virus at the departing or transiting airport and not test positive on arrival in to Thailand. 

8 hours ago, Prosaap said:

2 hours ago, Saunk said:

Jeez Louise .....

No Thais I know are "blaming" tourists  for spreading Covid, or "concerned" about tourists spreading Covid.

What they're all worried about, though, is that in order for tourists to come the country will have to be attractive to tourists, which means unrestricted travel, nightlife, entertainment, bars, social 'mixing' and no masks.

For everyone - tourists and Thais.

That means that whether fully and effectively vaccinated or not everyone's more likely to catch Covid.

For tourists that's not a problem as most are fully and effectively vaccinated, and even if they catch Covid they're likely to be asymptomatic so no one will even know.

For Thais, though, most aren't fully vaccinated yet and they're unlikely to be this year, and most of those who are (and will be) fully vaccinated are vaccinated with one or more doses of Sinovac which is next to useless.

So while tourists may have little to worry about, Thais do and THAT is what they're concerned about.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Tourist areas, like Phuket, can get their populations vaccinated.  

Phuket's population is less than one percent of the country.

What about the other 99%?

Sure, I couldn't agree more that "the important thing for Thailand is to get vaccinated as soon as possible" but it hasn't happened yet so what's wrong with waiting until does?

4 hours ago, Faz said:

I am absolutely confident that you'll be able to register using the Thailand Pass, hotels will be offering single night accommodation, you can book and pay for your transport and PCR Covid test (taken at the airport by the way), come Nov 2nd .....or the 3rd.....4th ......5th .......

Hey Faz

got this information today.

REOPENING - The "Thailand Pass" will accept registrations from November 1, 2021 at 9:00 am.
 It is advisable to register to obtain the new electronic entry document to Thailand (QR code from Thailand Pass) at least 7 days before the date of travel.

For travelers who have obtained a COE (Certificate of Entry) and who will arrive in Thailand from November 1, 2021, this COE is valid to enter Thailand.
 Travelers can update the COE format which will mention revised conditions of stay in line with the new entry rules by downloading the new COE from this registration site (https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/) or the  COE approval notification email link.

…………..

So effectively the pass you really need to enter on the 1st of November, won’t even be launched until 09:00 on the 1st November.

I honestly can’t see hotels rushing to get involved, as they really want customers that will stay a few days. Imagine the work they will have if every room has a new guest every day.

I could be wrong, but I don’t see tourists coming in any numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Soidog said:

Remember, they have been indoctrinated since birth to think as Thailand as the best place in the world and to view foreigners with fear and scepticism. 

and with lots of $$$$$$

• Haha 1

Great! So does this mean thais will think Im diseased and leave me ALONE?

Taxi scammers--tuk tuk drivers--massage grannies cat calling me? ladyboys clapping at me....sounds wonderful....I may actually start missing them all asking me daily for a over a decade "where u from"...(sigh)