News Forum - British divers say they risked arrest for giving boys ketamine during cave rescue

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

People will differ on what makes a hero. Often that word is senselessly thrown around these days.

Agreed absolutely.

Who's the bigger hero, not just here but when the bullets are flying or a building's burning down?

Someone who plays a key and pivotal part because of their expertise, without which any operation would fail, but who is actually at less risk themselves because of their expertise, than someone who puts their life on the line but just carries heavy weights long distances?

Impossible to say or to measure.

I'm not a 'hero' person, but if I had to pick a hero it'd be the inhabitants of the Derbyshire village of Eyam in the 1660's.

17 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Perhaps it is another area that should be sealed off or given seasonal restricted access.

Funny you should say that.

It had "seasonal restricted access", with a gate that was due to be locked a week after the 'Wild Boars' went in.

Believe it or not, the cave has just been re-opened to tourists, with access restricted to the same area they initially went to, at exactly the time when in past years it would have been locked with no access allowed because of the danger of flash floods.

I kid you not.

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Funny you should say that.

It had "seasonal restricted access", with a gate that was due to be locked a week after the 'Wild Boars' went in.

Believe it or not, the cave has just been re-opened to tourists, with access restricted to the same area they initially went to, at exactly the time when in past years it would have been locked with no access allowed because of the danger of flash floods.

I kid you not.

Ooooohhh! seriously??? My dearest Stonker you truly are a  gem.

I hope that none of the lads or the teacher that went on the excursion choose lottery tickets because with bad luck and ill timing like that they'll simply waste the ticket cost.

As I've mentioned to others. There is an affliction that affects middle aged South Aussie males such as myself called "Foot in Mouth Disease".  Best to get the whole picture before commenting.

Nice to get the complete picture. Apart from all involved I have to express sympathy to the folk in charge of the gate. They must have been gutted.

• Like 1

I remember the events well, because I moved to Thailand the month before. I remember the whole country, well the whole world really, focusing on the events. But I didn't realise the scepticism re: foreign help at the time.

They flew here and risked their lives to save Thai citizens 🙏 Then being warned of a risk of arrest? Surprised they didn't add a fine for working without a permit 😉 

17 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

They flew here and risked their lives to save Thai citizens 🙏 Then being warned of a risk of arrest? Surprised they didn't add a fine for working without a permit 😉 

There's no suggestion in either the Thaiger article or the Sun or CNN sources that they were "warned of a risk of arrest" by the Thai authorities, and any suggestion is that this came from the British end.

The responsibility for any deaths as a result of administering ketamine obviously lay with Dr Richard Harris and any medical assistants, including Dr Craig Challen, and so the three Australians were granted full diplomatic immunity by Thailand before arriving, which was reported on at the time.

• Like 1