News Forum - Thai PM defends plan to spend 100 million baht on New Year’s Eve celebrities

Thaiger

The Thai PM is standing firm amid fierce criticism of a plan to spend 100 million baht on 2 global singing stars for New Year’s Eve festivities in Phuket. Prayut Chan-o-cha has defended the government’s plan to spend around US$3 million dollars to secure Italian tenor, Andrea Bocelli, and Lalisa “Lisa” Manobal, from the K-pop band, Blackpink. The Bangkok Post reports that both stars are expected to perform at New Year’s Eve shows on the southern island of Phuket. The plan has come under attack for the huge cost involved, with critics pointing out that the money should be spent […]

The story Thai PM defends plan to spend 100 million baht on New Year’s Eve celebrities as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Maybe he should cancel them and he could sing some of his songs and encoring with his smash hit "Bringing happiness to the people".

I couldn't find a version of Prayut singing it with English subs that is strictly required on this forum.

But I did find this English version of it for members to sing along to 

• Haha 5

Last time I checked it didn't cost 1.5 million US dollars to get a girl from Issan to sing a song.

And why an Italian opera singer? 

Why not that dude who ran the length of the country to raise money for hospitals?

Edited by Changnam43
Clarity
  • Like 4

Wow, those are some interesting responses; I am surprised it has caused such a reaction.

I think it is quite a good idea to get Lalisa as she is the number one pop star in the world at the moment (or at least close to that; I don't really follow it) and that doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount of money as international pop stars are generally expensive (so I've heard!).

The opera singer we could do without.

But, if it were the 90's and U2 or the Hip or the Stones or Britney or Madonna or some other global pop star were playing and you had the cash, wouldn't you have gone? I would have. And, even if it doesn't attract a lot of people physically at the concert, it will attract a LOT of eyeballs on all the Social Media sites; that is some heavy-duty advertising.

If Thailand is to re-open, it needs to tell people. 

A concert by Lalisa will have the world's youth talking about Thailand.

It all sounds like a good idea to me.

• Like 1
  • Angry 3

2 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Wow, those are some interesting responses; I am surprised it has caused such a reaction.

I think it is quite a good idea to get Lalisa as she is the number one pop star in the world at the moment (or at least close to that; I don't really follow it) and that doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount of money as international pop stars are generally expensive (so I've heard!).

But, if it were the 90's and U2 or the Hip or the Stones or Britney or Madonna or some other global pop star were playing and you had the cash, wouldn't you have gone? I would have. And, even if it doesn't attract a lot of people physically at the concert, it will attract a LOT of eyeballs on all the Social Media sites; that is some heavy-duty advertising.

You are out of touch with what is happening on the ground.  Enjoy the concert.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Pimoo2 said:

Waste of money! How many Thai people are opera lovers?

Boccelli is obviously not menant to target Thai people but to attract foreign tourists, mostly westerners (quote in the article "The costs of hiring the New Year’s Eve performers are part of the tourism promotional budget, which he says is a vital part of Thailand’s imminent re-opening."). The pop star (whatever her name is) is for the Thai/Asian people, I guess. I do not have a "good/bad" opinion about it but the logic seems, Boccelli has millions of fans worldwide, surely it would attract a few 1000s whom might be convinced to spend the festive season in a warm country by the beach while as well enjoy a concert of their favourite "opera singer" (that's discutable but that's another story). If you leave the constant Thai government bashing regardless of what they do, it is not that stupid, it is also overall publicity, a Boccelli concert in Thailand for New Year's eve would be covered somehow in some news in many countries therefore talking about Thailand too. And then the pop start would do the same purpose with local/S Korean/Asian tourists. And to be honest, 100 million bth is a drop in the ocean in order to help the 100000s people suffering because of the closure of the country, the governement will not help more than he does now, let's face it: only the full reopening will!!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Pimoo2 said:

Waste of money! How many Thai people are opera lovers?

You think he wants to address thai people 555.
He thinks he can address the "rich".

• Like 3

"the government is putting contingency plans in place to ensure Thailand’s re-opening is a success."

Love to know what those are, maybe Tuu and Noo will do a duet if all else fails.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I must have written my comment above at the same time as you, we obviously think the same. Will it work? Well we will soon find out. But is it a bad idea? Well it is not a new idea anyway, using world stars to attract attention and publicity is as old as stardom cause..it always works.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Manu said:

I must have written my comment above at the same time as you, we obviously think the same. Will it work? Well we will soon find out. But is it a bad idea? Well it is not a new idea anyway, using world stars to attract attention and publicity is as old as stardom cause..it always works.

I am sure it will be a great help to the Khlong Toei District people and others living in similar condtions in Thailand

• Like 2

Whatever the ticket price, putting a large number of people close together in a celebratory mood, will ensure Covid infection is provided free of charge to take home and spread.

The increase of the problem after they're done with their irresponsible plans can be foreseen by all but those in charge.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I agree with what you are saying. The idea in terms of a marketing idea is sound, and the amount of money isn’t that much, especially as much could be recovered through ticketing and selling television rights etc. If done properly they could even make money from it. As ever with these things which are aimed at moving things forward, it’s one of timing. Perhaps an announcement in Early December when the opening was underway would have been better.

I thought this was to initially announce the reopening and so would take place in or around the early part of November. Now it seems this is being used as a New Year celebration. Perhaps that was always the intention and the two events got confused in the reporting? 

Ignoring for a moment that I believe the idea of opening up so soon and encouraging nightlife and mass gatherings is the wrong thing to do from a public health perspective. Overall, and taken as a New Years event, I can’t criticise it other than the timing of the announcement. We are two months away from the event so anything could happen between now and then of course. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I agree with what you are saying. The idea in terms of a marketing idea is sound, and the amount of money isn’t that much, especially as much could be recovered through ticketing and selling television rights etc. If done properly they could even make money from it. As ever with these things which are aimed at moving things forward, it’s one of timing. Perhaps an announcement in Early December when the opening was underway would have been better.

I thought this was to initially announce the reopening and so would take place in or around the early part of November. Now it seems this is being used as a New Year celebration. Perhaps that was always the intention and the two events got confused in the reporting? 

Ignoring for a moment that I believe the idea of opening up so soon and encouraging nightlife and mass gatherings is the wrong thing to do from a public health perspective. Overall, and taken as a New Years event, I can’t criticise it other than the timing of the announcement. We are two months away from the event so anything could happen between now and then of course. 

As always, a thoughtful post, Mr Dog.

I will also ignore the public health aspect; I don't feel qualified to give a proper opinion on timing for opening and will leave it up to the government to balance all the different factors. 

I get that a 100 Million Baht sounds like a lot of money, but in a country of... 65/70 million people, it isn't. Yes, I would love to see more funds go to the poor, but the best way to provide assistance to the Thai people is to get the economy moving again; the best social program in existence is a job and/or an income.

I think other members saw this as a 'Nero Watching Rome Burn' or 'Let Them Eat Cake' moment, but I also think it will pay for itself and likely end up net profitable; in fact I think that the sheer number of eyeballs seeing the concert and hearing that Thailand is open would be monetized at well over 100 million Baht, but I'll await the expert evaluation afterwards.

I think, operative word 'think', I figured out the timing. First, to have it November 01 simply wouldn't be possible; based on the concerts that I have seen, it'd take a miracle to set one up, in a foreign country, on such short notice. Having the concert on New Year's Eve guarantees international coverage and thus international press and promotion. Further, it'll titillate the Chinese market; even if they aren't let out for Chinese New Year, they'll be thinking of Thailand. Finally, I think it just makes sense to have a BIG splash in a few months but not now; it'll allow Thai authorities time to iron out the difficulties, to (hopefully) streamline the application/visa/testing systems, and allow for a much smoother roll out come high season/new year. "What about Christmas?" I hear you say. I don't think Christmas holidays will be that important this year as there is little chance that the 2-week millionaires will come; it makes more sense to focus on the longer-staying Snowbirds who will arrive early in the new year.

Is the concert going to work? Ask me January 3rd.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shade_Wilder said:

As always, a thoughtful post, Mr Dog.

I will also ignore the public health aspect; I don't feel qualified to give a proper opinion on timing for opening and will leave it up to the government to balance all the different factors. 

I get that a 100 Million Baht sounds like a lot of money, but in a country of... 65/70 million people, it isn't. Yes, I would love to see more funds go to the poor, but the best way to provide assistance to the Thai people is to get the economy moving again; the best social program in existence is a job and/or an income.

I think other members saw this as a 'Nero Watching Rome Burn' or 'Let Them Eat Cake' moment, but I also think it will pay for itself and likely end up net profitable; in fact I think that the sheer number of eyeballs seeing the concert and hearing that Thailand is open would be monetized at well over 100 million Baht, but I'll await the expert evaluation afterwards.

I think, operative word 'think', I figured out the timing. First, to have it November 01 simply wouldn't be possible; based on the concerts that I have seen, it'd take a miracle to set one up, in a foreign country, on such short notice. Having the concert on New Year's Eve guarantees international coverage and thus international press and promotion. Further, it'll titillate the Chinese market; even if they aren't let out for Chinese New Year, they'll be thinking of Thailand. Finally, I think it just makes sense to have a BIG splash in a few months but not now; it'll allow Thai authorities time to iron out the difficulties, to (hopefully) streamline the application/visa/testing systems, and allow for a much smoother roll out come high season/new year. "What about Christmas?" I hear you say. I don't think Christmas holidays will be that important this year as there is little chance that the 2-week millionaires will come; it makes more sense to focus on the longer-staying Snowbirds who will arrive early in the new year.

Is the concert going to work? Ask me January 3rd.

Cheers

No writers block today then 😉

I like your comment that you're not qualified re: health matters and timing and that you leave that to the government. As if they had the people's interest in mind 🤭 Got a good laugh here though 🤣

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

the best social program in existence is a job and/or an income

Im going to nick that quote. Spot on. That is a major issue in some western countries, where handouts become greater than payment of some jobs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1