News Forum - “Free parking” signs placed at Pattaya pier after complaints of scammers

Thaiger

After numerous complaints that people were soliciting money for parking spaces at Pattaya’s Bali Hai Pier, some reportedly asking for up to 500 baht, city officials have installed signs announcing that parking is free and to report if they are being charged for a space. The Pattaya News has reported that the free spaces are located at the blue field at the Bali Hai Pier. Pattaya City Deputy Mayor Wuttisak Reumkitkarn told The Pattaya News the charges are “a scam and is not a Pattaya City policy”. He added that law enforcement officers have installed a sign, advising that the “area […]

The story “Free parking” signs placed at Pattaya pier after complaints of scammers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If you can scam people out of money in free parking areas,

next job could be in the government fleecing of taxpayers

hope my VPN is working 5555

notice the sign is in english.....hence your "targets" for $$$

any of these signs posted in thai, or the scammers know better than to try that...

reminds me of a sign in CNX at a food court that was in english and chinese about not stealing silverware

4 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

any of these signs posted in thai, or the scammers know better than to try that...

reminds me of a sign in CNX at a food court that was in english and chinese about not stealing silverware

Pick a country and I will provide you with the tourist scams in that country.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Good on you, city officials! I love seeing scammers given a healthy serving of truth!!!

The signs won't do any good when they are intimidating people to pay them to park

They would do it Patong all the time, and you are stuck because you don't want to come back and your bike damaged

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

The signs won't do any good when they are intimidating people to pay them to park

They would do it Patong all the time, and you are stuck because you don't want to come back and your bike damaged

Patpong is private property,the road is not public land,it is owned by the patpong family.Thats why they can close it and set up the night market on it.

I used to park in the multi storey car park in patpong that you have to pay to use,same as any other car park on private property.

I am not aware of any free public parking in patpong.

4 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Learning to read thai is a chore😂

3 hours ago, Cathat said:

Patpong is private property,the road is not public land,it is owned by the patpong family.Thats why they can close it and set up the night market on it.

I used to park in the multi storey car park in patpong that you have to pay to use,same as any other car park on private property.

I am not aware of any free public parking in patpong.

I said Patong in Phuket 

So many of the tuk tuk guys will tell peope they have to pay to park in a space on the street 

10 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I said Patong in Phuket 

So many of the tuk tuk guys will tell peope they have to pay to park in a space on the street 

Ah ok,my mistake,yes I know of the problems in patong on beach road also,that is 100 percent local taxi mafia.

Nothing can be done about it.

9 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

If you can scam people out of money in free parking areas,

next job could be in the government fleecing of taxpayers

hope my VPN is working 5555

VPN working?   5555.  Yeah right they work.   5555555

Thailand has a lot of Taxi and Parking scams - it is endemic and it aint going to change anytime soon.  

If you think that because you know the law and dont have to pay, that when you return your bike/car will not be damaged, then you are ignorant. If you think that the Police will investigate and prosecute those who damaged your car/bike, then you are delusional.

What you do is smile and negotiate the price down to something you find acceptable. If they will not come down low enough for you, then leave the carpark - sometimes that will get them to accept a reasonable fee. To refuse to pay and walk away is stupid - refer paragraph 2.

• Like 2

Just now, AussieBob said:

Thailand has a lot of Taxi and Parking scams - it is endemic and it aint going to change anytime soon.  

If you think that because you know the law and dont have to pay, that when you return your bike/car will not be damaged, then you are ignorant. If you think that the Police will investigate and prosecute those who damaged your car/bike, then you are delusional.

What you do is smile and negotiate the price down to something you find acceptable. If they will not come down low enough for you, then leave the carpark - sometimes that will get them to accept a reasonable fee. To refuse to pay and walk away is stupid - refer paragraph 2.

PS - sometimes in the hotel carparks that are very busy all over Thailand, there are parking lot 'inspectors' to keep non-visitors out.  Slip them a 50 Baht note and your car/bike will be looked after really good 😉

• Like 1

It's not just Thailand, in the UK if you parked your car near a football stadium to watch the game local kids would Come up to you and ask you for money to keep an eye on your car or else.had it happen a few times to me round Birmingham.Was a long time ago though. 

On 10/25/2021 at 3:36 PM, Marc26 said:

Pick more...........

Why? still waiting for answer to my 1st pick....is not a valid choice.???.zero scams?????

On 10/25/2021 at 8:06 PM, HiuMak said:

Learning to read thai is a chore😂

I use my google translate cam--learned that one from the thais and their mindset translate=communication

37 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Why? still waiting for answer to my 1st pick....is not a valid choice.???.zero scams?????

Absolutely 

My 1st trip ever I got scammed going to Palace

Told it was closed

But the tuk tuk offered to take me around 

Honestly it wasn't that bad of a price(I'm thinking 500 baht way back)

But he did try to set me up with a gem scam

Suggested we relax in a park

What da ya know, a guy wandered up with a great deal on gems! 555

But worse scams in Thailand for sure

As well as any other country 

15 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Absolutely 

My 1st trip ever I got scammed going to Palace

Told it was closed

But the tuk tuk offered to take me around 

Honestly it wasn't that bad of a price(I'm thinking 500 baht way back)

But he did try to set me up with a gem scam

Suggested we relax in a park

What da ya know, a guy wandered up with a great deal on gems! 555

But worse scams in Thailand for sure

As well as any other country 

Please post a pic of the wonderful deal you got on your thai gems...you also mentioned worse scams--do tell

18 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Please post a pic of the wonderful deal you got on your thai gems...you also mentioned worse scams--do tell

I am not a mope! I was a newbie but you could see it was a gem scam a mile away

A few "men in dresses", wouldn't even call them ladyboys, did the" grab my dick and take my money" on soi 24 outside my hotel

Was going to 7-11 and only had 1k in my pocket............so no biggie

Jet ski scams in the 10's of thousands baht are a nasty one............never been on one in Thailand though

Has anyone got scammed anywhere?

I got scammed in Colombia

We were on a boat tour and the driver was great, he took my friend and I to a secluded beach that no other tourists were on

After picking us up he brought us to another beach with more tourists to eat

Stupid, we were feeling good and ordered and didn't ask prices

They came back with a bill 4x what it should be and they weren't taking 'no" for an answer

I was pissed at myself for letting my guard down more than anything

On 10/27/2021 at 2:37 PM, Marc26 said:

I was pissed at myself for letting my guard down more than anything

The lesson is repeated until it is learned grasshopper

It is being said that in order to increase tourism to Pattaya and to kickstart the entertainment business areas an accidental  spelling mistake on these signs as now been adopted so that they now read   “Free Porking”