Learn how to eat like a local – Thai table manner

Thaiger

Like all cultures in the world, Thailand has its own customs and rules when it comes to eating. Whether you’re invited to dinner in a Thai local’s house, eating with new Thai friends, attending a business lunch with Thais, or dining in a Thai restaurant, it’s a great idea to pay attention and follow basic table manner. You don’t have to be nervous as most Thai people will forgive you for not understanding their customs. Still, following the common eating etiquette and showing a good table manner will definitely make you shine. 1. Wait until you’re seated The seating etiquette […]

The story Learn how to eat like a local – Thai table manner as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I just cannot get used to sharing anything that is put on the table that's why when I order a meal I make sure it is non shareable, and I usually have a 2ft exclusion zone around my plate and any chancers that cross that zone will incur the full force of a steel fork to the back of their hand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Gin phit dai mai  ? Gin  nit noi Kharp  I eat spicy 🌶 ! But as I grow older my acid reflux interferes in my food choice!

I loved to eat  (sticky rice)kao niaow with nam phit( spicy sauce)😉

Take a big wad of sticky rice from those weaved baskets and start dunckin in the sauce ! Aloi maak maak

Edited by riclag
  • Cool 1

• KaptainRob changed the title to Learn how to eat like a local – Thai table manner

Sharing a meal in Covid times is not a good idea. Once the pandemic is behind us...ok. Thanks for the tips though.

• Haha 1

I really enjoy Thai food. Thankfully the street food sellers take pity on me with the spices. They look at me and kindly ask if I want mild foods. I immediately agree and trust their judgement. So far, I've managed to survive and enjoy the cuisines of different provinces. 

5 hours ago, Sarisin said:

Table manners? our lot all have them and chairs- but still sit on the floor!

Another thing I've noticed in group restaurant dining is that there are at least two or three rounds of ordering. So if you didn't get what you wanted the first time you can order it down the line.

• Like 1

Why do they bring your main meal before they bring the starter, are they really trying to wind me up or does this happen to other diners too?😀

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Why do they bring your main meal before they bring the starter, are they really trying to wind me up or does this happen to other diners too?😀

You're looking at it through western eyes. "Appetizers" are more along the lines of "small plates" You've gotta go full-on Zen: "The food arrives in the order it's supposed to", and just roll with it. If you want "appetizers" first, just order them and nothing else until they get there.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you want to learn to eat like a local?

Are they eating at any of the 5 star places I eat at?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TukTuk said:

Why would you want to learn to eat like a local?

Are they eating at any of the 5 star places I eat at?

Quite so, old chap. I expect none of the bounders know how to eat Caviar & Foie Gras, like us....eh?

*sarcasm included*

• Haha 3

And keep your mouth closed when eating - no open mouth chewing like a dog.

And a tip for very spicy foods - only breath through nose - never through the mouth.

17 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Quite so, old chap. I expect none of the bounders know how to eat Caviar & Foie Gras, like us....eh?

*sarcasm included*

However the skill of cleaning one's nose out with a pastry fork can only be witnessed at some of Bangkok's so-called fine dining establishments.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 11:03 AM, Marble-eye said:

Happens everywhere - even thought it's listed as starters and mains it all turns up together even if you point it out. Then you order a decent red and they go and extract it from the FRIDGE !!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Happens everywhere - even thought it's listed as starters and mains it all turns up together even if you point it out. Then you order a decent red and they go and extract it from the FRIDGE !!!!

Oh Benroon I think you may have opened a can of worms there, to chill or not to chill. Room temperatures in the UK are a million miles away from room temperatures here in Thailand and it is often advised to serve red wine at 16°C to 18°C, so for me personally I do chill my red wine before consumption, warm reds are not too agreeable for my liking, any more Philistines out there share the same views?

3 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Oh Benroon I think you may have opened a can of worms there, to chill or not to chill. Room temperatures in the UK are a million miles away from room temperatures here in Thailand and it is often advised to serve red wine at 16°C to 18°C, so for me personally I do chill my red wine before consumption, warm reds are not too agreeable for my liking, any more Philistines out there share the same views?

I'm ashamed to even know you !! 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Not Philistine at all - you nailed it with the room temperature explanation.

When I had an upcountry restaurant we had to keep immediate stock of wine in the fridge as it became too warm in the store area.......warm wine is unpleasant.

At Patrick's Belgian restaurant in Pattaya they offer the reds chilled or at "European room temperature". 

In basic Thai bars/restaurants I usually 2 glasses at a the outset to allow one to warm up..

• Like 2

Yep if you store it for long periods in high temperatures it will go off, which is why the worlds top cellars are chilled to precision levels. However when it comes to drinking it for me, the colder it is the more taste you lose and if you really hit the chill button on the fridge it's like drinking liquid metal ! I've never had a problem with thai room temperature. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2021 at 5:03 PM, Marble-eye said:

Simple solution for your problem is to order in stages. Order only your starters or appetizers first. While you are eating those (or when you finished with them, up to you) ask for the menu again and order  your choise of main dishes. And when you want to order deserts or something else later, do so while eating or after finishing your main dishes.

That way you stay in control of your own diner. Simple.

On 10/25/2021 at 3:56 PM, Thaiger said:

Learn how to eat like a local – Thai table manner

Ah, my mistake! I saw the title of the article and had initially assumed it was a member making a cynical post.

Mind you, seeing as now I realise it's been written by a journalist, how about 'table manners' with an 's', the same as  '2. Food are often shared' shouldn't that be, 'food is often shared'?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 5:18 PM, Benroon said:

Yep if you store it for long periods in high temperatures it will go off, which is why the worlds top cellars are chilled to precision levels. However when it comes to drinking it for me, the colder it is the more taste you lose and if you really hit the chill button on the fridge it's like drinking liquid metal ! I've never had a problem with thai room temperature. 

.....and no one ever becomes ill. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 5:26 PM, Sarisin said:

Table manners? our lot all have them and chairs- but still sit on the floor!

and eating with your hands. squeezing those sticky rice into a ball in an art i cannot handle

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

and eating with your hands. squeezing those sticky rice into a ball in an art i cannot handle

Cleans out your nails though; excellent stuff ..

• Haha 2