News Forum - Thai government presents actor Russell Crowe with “thank you” gift basket

Thaiger

23 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Going around bashing farangers? Right.

Where in Thailand exactly are you?

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. But never mind…..

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Really? I have asked Thais are they Loa before. As in from Issan.

And Khmen, if they are from southern Issan.

Probably hundreds of times. Always just given a yes or no answer. Never any real fights.

One Northern Thai friend calls me a "Farang Loa"  a lot because I eat a lot of Issan food.

Most Thais have no issue with Laos or Cambodia. The same can't be said about the Burmese though, many Thais don't like them at all.

Yes, the Thais are very polite that way, even when you offend them. I can assure you, the people of Issan do not regard themselves as Lao (it’s Lao by the way, not Loa and Khmer) anymore than an Australian thinks they are from New Zealand. 

27 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I can assure you, the people of Issan do not regard themselves as Lao

It is very obvious to me that despite spending 20 years here you can't actually speak with the locals can you? No need to answer, I can tell.

Here is an English link for you to read and learn something.

Northeastern Thai people are an ethno-regional group native to Northeastern Thailand ("Isan") with an estimated population of about 22 million. Alternative terms for this group are T(h)ai Isan, Thai-Lao, Lao Isan, or Isan Lao.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isan_people

You can't assure me of anything.

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

don’t ever call a Thai Cambodian or Laotian, you could end up with a real fight on your hands.

Was your original comment that was wrong and I tried to help you with. I gave my real life experience. You just made it up.

Now you are claiming the opposite 

38 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes, the Thais are very polite that way, even when you offend them

So which one is it? A real fight or very polite? 

3 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

It is very obvious to me that despite spending 20 years here you can't actually speak with the locals can you? No need to answer, I can tell.

Here is an English link for you to read and learn something.

Northeastern Thai people are an ethno-regional group native to Northeastern Thailand ("Isan") with an estimated population of about 22 million. Alternative terms for this group are T(h)ai Isan, Thai-Lao, Lao Isan, or Isan Lao.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isan_people

You can't assure me of anything.

Thanks for the Wikipedia link 🤭

Yes I speak Thai although I’m hardly fluent and even speak a little Issan as well. I struggle with the writing but that’s the same with English having used a keyboard for so long. 

@RobMuir if you wish to have me engage I must ask you to moderate your tone a little. We don’t know anything about each other and hence a little more civilised tone may help smooth the conversation. Please don’t assume anything about me and I will return the favour. Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Was your original comment that was wrong and I tried to help you with. I gave my real life experience. You just made it up.

Now you are claiming the opposite 

So which one is it? A real fight or very polite? 

It is my real life experience that Thais, and even those from Issan prefer not to be called Lao. If you use the term in a lighthearted way or with people you know then you will be fine. Most Thais avoid conflict up to a point.  Once they flip then your experience should show you they can get very angry very quickly.

I would remind you that this forum is for people to express opinions. You are free to do so just as I am. It seems our opinions differ and hence little point in trying to find common ground.

Thank you anyway for the time taken.