News Forum - Big vaccination push in Chiang Mai in bid to combat Covid-19 surge

Thaiger

The president of the Tourism Council of Chiang Mai is hoping a ramp-up of vaccination efforts will help combat a surge in Covid-19. Punlop Saejew says health officials are pulling out all the stops in a bid to get the northern province ready for the November 1 re-opening. “The current clusters have affected local confidence towards re-opening. Everyone is working hard to flatten the curve by preparing beds for critically ill patients and ramping up vaccinations.” According to a Bangkok Post report, Chiang Mai has around 30% of hospital beds available. However, the provincial communicable disease committee says beds for […]

The story Big vaccination push in Chiang Mai in bid to combat Covid-19 surge as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That's more accurate and completely discredits yesterdays Bangkok Post report of 74%

Punlop says over 51% of residents have received their first vaccine dose, with over 35% fully vaccinated.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

That's more accurate and completely discredits yesterdays Bangkok Post report of 74%

But why wait to ramp up vaccinations now 1 week before opening!! and only after clusters are appearing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

But why wait to ramp up vaccinations now 1 week before opening!! and only after clusters are appearing.

No-one's coming in the 1st week of Nov via the new scheme and I doubt there will be many 'tourists' later in the month but at least Bangkok is sending more vaccine.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Perhaps Prayut was so fixated/obsessed with his 'chocolate teapot' sandboxes. I think Prayut prefers being a little reactive than proactive. 

• Like 2

Okay, now I'm not going to say "I told you so".

Actually, why not 🤭 I told you so several times actually.

It's good they're sending the vaccines, but I'll believe it when I see it. And before they are jabbed and double jabbed, we will be months further. This is not something that can be done in a few weeks.

As for the hospital beds, they learned the trick from Phuket. Hospitals are full. Sirens are heard every couple of minutes. The field hospital with 1500 beds is full too, so they're setting up a new one. That is the figure of "free beds" they quote. They're extra new beds because everything else is full!

And as there is nearly nothing to do for tourists in CM and seeing the boredom and disappointment that it's nothing they hoped for on the faces of the few that came though the sandbox, opening may as well be postponed officially and maybe a few police officers should get away from their phone-screens to enforce mask wearing and closing illegally opened venues.

• Like 4

CM is woefully short of achieving the required vaccination level because it has been run by complacent officials who responded at a glacial pace to every single hotspot that has occurred since day one of the pandemic. Why did they not immediately start testing in all markets adjacent to Muang Mai 3 weeks ago. Instead they say on their collective hands trying to wish away what is now the worst ever situation in CM since the start of the pandemic. Without doubt the city is not ready to open on November 1st, and anyhow what would any visitor come here be able to see & do? Without a proper comprehensive removal of all restrictions there is not one tourist, domestic or overseas who will waste their time & money coming to the open graveyard that is this city. Domestic visitors will be only VFR and so will bring little revenue to hotels, restaurants etc. And as for Charming Chiang Mai, there is nothing practical in this pitiful promotion dreamed up by airheads who have never done a day's work apart from paper pushing. Numerous friends in the lodging and restaurant business are simply not reopening because they have no confidence in there being any increase in business.

• Like 3

I will believe it when I see it. They better send more than a lions share of the Moderna up here as people are waiting for it and will not just jab with the CCP/CP junk, and for the other matter are anti AZ as well.

• Like 1

In Phuket's case, there was a concerted effort to get people vaccinated. In Chiang Mai, it doesn't seem to be the case, which is why I won't be going there.

Just to keep members up to date on Chiang Mai:

Kad luang (Chinatown) remains closed another 3 days for disinfection. Traders can thereafter only return with a negative PCR test result or minimum 1 vaccination which doesn't protect anyone more than 1 minute.

And as of today, another large market is closed. Pratu (Chiang Mai Gate), favourite for food-stalls, is closed as 106 positive cases were found.

I think we all know that this isn't limited to just the markets and only testing in certain specific areas gives a very distorted view.

I have no proof, but my guess is that North Gate food market will be next. 

And of course one dose of Sinovac doesn't protect anyone. And a negative PCR is useless five minutes later. Plus the lack of enforcement ensures that the virus spreads again in the same areas, while they have already moved the tests to another location.

Wherever they set-up testing now, without fail they find lots of positives. Chiang Mai (province as well as city) is riddled with the virus. 

• Like 1