News Forum - Government under pressure to lift alcohol ban, allow nightlife to resume

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Jamey27 said:

I know the Europeans, Americans and Canadians don’t 

You obviously talked to all of them then? Impressive. Thats 1.1bn people you engaged in conversation. Busy bloke. 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

It seems that by the Palau government making that decision they are on apar with the Thai government when it comes to poor decision making ruining their economy due to reliance upon tourism.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-26/china-tourist-ban-leaves-palau-tourism-in-peril/10160020

But Gummy this is during the Covid19 pandemic. China itself banned travelers leaving their shores. Where the difference will be noticed is post pandemic times (whenever that may be).

Sure the economic damage is done but they have saved/lessened the damage to the environment. Simply put ...whose nations tourist numbers haven't suffered recently?

Had they continued with the vast numbers of tourists of all walks of life the troubles would not have gone. Especially the impact on marine life. In the article you sent me President Tommy Remengesau was scaling down tourist numbers even before the China travel ban.

Most travelers to Palau are beach enthusiasts and divers. Thailand attracts are far greater variety and is not just Islands. If Palau's environment suffers damage it may lose 90% of it's GDP not just 25% from banning tour groups.

Which getting back to the topic at hand wrt alcohol ban this may easily backfire. Give it a few weeks and results will speak for themselves.     

2 hours ago, Jamey27 said:

I know the Europeans, Americans and Canadians don’t 

Keep going Jamey. Others in Asia feel the same way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

It seems that by the Palau government making that decision they are on apar with the Thai government when it comes to poor decision making ruining their economy due to reliance upon tourism.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-26/china-tourist-ban-leaves-palau-tourism-in-peril/10160020

In fairness mate, your link is 3 years old.

1 minute ago, mickkotlarski said:

Keep going Jamey. Others in Asia feel the same way.

Whoops...there's another 4.61bn. You are a talkative lot aren't you?

• Haha 1

Just now, mickkotlarski said:

But Gummy this is during the Covid19 pandemic. China itself banned travelers leaving their shores. Where the difference will be noticed is post pandemic times (whenever that may be).

Sure the economic damage is done but they have saved/lessened the damage to the environment. Simply put ...whose nations tourist numbers haven't suffered recently?

Had they continued with the vast numbers of tourists of all walks of life the troubles would not have gone. Especially the impact on marine life. In the article you sent me President Tommy Remengesau was scaling down tourist numbers even before the China travel ban.

Most travelers to Palau are beach enthusiasts and divers. Thailand attracts are far greater variety and is not just Islands. If Palau's environment suffers damage it may lose 90% of it's GDP not just 25% from banning tour groups.

Which getting back to the topic at hand wrt alcohol ban this may easily backfire. Give it a few weeks and results will speak for themselves.     

Well, what you say of course is very true, although I do disagree  about it is only Chinese tourists ruining places, generally speaking its very many tourists of many other nationalities that do that also as Palau recognised.  So many places that were once pristine have been ruined.  Even Everest itself , not they I have been there to check but the reports suggest that there has to be an even bigger scaling down of expeditions.  That favourite saying of "leave only your footprints" seem to have been truly lost or even disregarded in the pursuit of money typified by TAT and the Thai governments attitude generally.

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well, what you say of course is very true, although I do disagree  about it is only Chinese tourists ruining places, generally speaking its very many tourists of many other nationalities that do that also as Palau recognised.  So many places that were once pristine have been ruined.  Even Everest itself , not they I have been there to check but the reports suggest that there has to be an even bigger scaling down of expeditions.  That favourite saying of "leave only your footprints" seem to have been truly lost or even disregarded in the pursuit of money typified by TAT and the Thai governments attitude generally.

Agreed not just the Chinese many others have been terrible travelers before the Chinese. But the reason that the Chinese have been quoted is they are the worst example.

This also goes hand in hand with parts of the world that simply don't have fully developed infrastructure or resources to handle the high numbers.

Wrt the alcohol ban the Chinese are the lesser offenders. But instances of other undesirable actions are many.

From a Covid perspective tour groups such as the Chinese huddle together closely.  From a social distance point of view this is risky even though China reports low numbers of infections. If one individual contracts the disease the entire group can easily be infected. Far more so than an independent traveller.

1 minute ago, Poolie said:

We'll see. Once the Olympics are finished.

They already are. But with the pro China stance I think it's safe to assume that Beijing 2022 is the subject at hand.

1 minute ago, mickkotlarski said:

They already are. But with the pro China stance I think it's safe to assume that Beijing 2022 is the subject at hand.

It is estimated that the average Chinese tourist remains in the country for one week and spends 30,000–40,000 baht (US$1,000–1,300) per person, per trip. The average Chinese tourist spends 6,400 baht (US$180) per day—more than the average visitor's 5,690 baht (US$160).

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

It is estimated that the average Chinese tourist remains in the country for one week and spends 30,000–40,000 baht (US$1,000–1,300) per person, per trip. The average Chinese tourist spends 6,400 baht (US$180) per day—more than the average visitor's 5,690 baht (US$160).

????

7 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

????

Sigh....sometimes it gets like work.

Right. You tried to denigrate the Chinese presence as tourists in Thailand. They arent wanted in Asia according to you.

This is the latest from Wikipedia on Chinese tourists from Thailand.

12 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Sigh....sometimes it gets like work.

Right. You tried to denigrate the Chinese presence as tourists in Thailand. They arent wanted in Asia according to you.

This is the latest from Wikipedia on Chinese tourists from Thailand.

Yes indeed. It can truly feel like heavy lifting. 

And continuing on from the same source...In 2013, the Chinese National Tourism Administration published A Guide to Civilized Tourism which has specific statements regarding how to act as a tourist in Thailand.[23]

15 minutes ago, Jamey27 said:

Or you can just look at the many, many, many public opinion polls that are out there. Emojis are the tools of the intellectually weak. 

Says who?

On 10/28/2021 at 5:29 AM, JamesR said:

I think many of the unhappy farangs are the ones living full time in Thailand as you can see from this article and many of the others over the last few months, so many of them use this forum as a place to moan.

When I am there for quite a number of months I think of the song from "The Clash"

Should I stay or should I go now,

Should I stay or should I go,

If I stay there may be trouble,

Should I stay or should I go.

A lot of the full time farang residents probably sing:

Should I go or should I moan now.

Should I go or should I moan,

If I go I can not moan now,

I will stay and I will moan.

Your very observant.  A lot of "grimmpy old men " who are living in Thailand and many aren't well adjusted. It's easier to moan and gripe about things than to comment on what's good. Additionally they don't try to fit in