News Forum - Government under pressure to lift alcohol ban, allow nightlife to resume

Thaiger

As Thailand prepares to waive quarantine for vaccinated tourists from low-risk countries, the government is coming under pressure to ease some Covid-19 restrictions. In particular, the Bangkok Post reports on calls to allow restaurants to sell alcohol and for nightlife to resume. Countless bars and clubs remain shuttered, with many operators questioning how Thailand’s re-opening can succeed under such conditions. Thanakorn Kuptajit from the Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association says Thailand risks losing out to neighbours like Singapore and Vietnam, where foreign tourists face no restrictions on the consumption of alcohol. Thanakorn believes the economy can bounce back if the […]

The story Government under pressure to lift alcohol ban, allow nightlife to resume as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

in the first place it is insane that Restaurants can not sell alcohol at all this means nobody comes to eat a friend of mine has this problem as well consider people eating and drinking something less likely you get drunk, but government is such a retarded club of idiots and have no knowledge of such things besides making up insane, stupid, useless rules that only damage others people income and business already for a way to long time... the entire alcohol nonsense... is just a waste, when you let people travel around and give parties/ vegetarian parties, songkran... all that is possible but a simple beer is not government sticks like a turd in the street i step over it.... and i reject to even follow any rules from this incompetent clowns created.... i am so pissed, bunch of idiots it are

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

50 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

As Thailand prepares to waive quarantine for vaccinated tourists from low-risk countries, the government is coming under pressure to ease some Covid-19 restrictions. In particular, the Bangkok Post reports on calls to allow restaurants to sell alcohol and for nightlife to resume. Countless bars and clubs remain shuttered, with many operators questioning how Thailand’s re-opening can succeed under such conditions. Thanakorn Kuptajit from the Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association says Thailand risks losing out to neighbours like Singapore and Vietnam, where foreign tourists face no restrictions on the consumption of alcohol. Thanakorn believes the economy can bounce back if the […]

The story Government under pressure to lift alcohol ban, allow nightlife to resume as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A practical approach would be to require proof of vaccination to enter large indoor venues. It seems to be working in the United States.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

I do not see any response from the brewing companies such as Chang and Leo regarding this.  Their bottom line must be hurting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

allow restaurants to sell alcohol and for nightlife to resume.

So if not all the hoops deter. Once you're allowed to leave the quaranten after 1 or 2 nights, you'll celebrate with a glass of sparkling coke. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Singapore has no restrictions on the consumption of alcohol" What nonsense!!

A mug of beer typically costs ~S$10. If that is not restrictive, then what is?

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Cool 1

This so called government consists of highly conservative people who want to see the demise of the nightlife that is what made Thailand popular. They regard foreigners as dirty and bringers of all kinds of dangerous liberal thoughts with which they do not want ordinary Thai people to be infected. They hanker to take the country back a century to a time where an elite few ruled with absolute power and kept the majority under their economic & ideological control. And in achieving this aim they care not for the destruction that they create.

• Like 8

I agree with the previous comment about large parts of the country opening up when vaccination percentages are low. It's a recipe for disaster. But....tourist areas (particularly islands) are a great possibility. Smaller populations, easier to vaccinate to saturation point and profitable. That is the best start. People will come if the environment is safe. Tourists have to jump through hoops...PCR Tests, vaccination Certificates etc etc. So shouldn't Thailand have to make an effort too?

• Like 1

We all know they will be opening up bars either officially or unofficially well before December 1st. Come next week, I would imagine most bars in tourist areas will be opening up if they want to and no one will be looking to enforce laws. The only bars being closed down will be those who failed to restart consultancy fees to the RTP

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Meanwhile they could place official "government make merit" boxes in the blue areas. May be successful because there's hardly anything else that all those millions of rich tourists that are queueing up can spend their money on 🤣

I'd like to visit but it's not very inviting and there are (still) too many hoops to jump through to get there. So I'll just wait and watch from afar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

I'd like to visit but it's not very inviting and there are (still) too many hoops to jump through to get there. So I'll just wait and watch from afar.

Yes I think a number of people will feel the same. A Dutch couple I know who have been traveling to Thailand for two months during mid October to mid December every year for over 15 years, are now in St Lucia. The type of tourist it seems Thailand wants. Nice couple who are wealthy. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 2

4 hours ago, Pompies said:

This so called government consists of highly conservative people who want to see the demise of the nightlife that is what made Thailand popular. They regard foreigners as dirty and bringers of all kinds of dangerous liberal thoughts with which they do not want ordinary Thai people to be infected. They hanker to take the country back a century to a time where an elite few ruled with absolute power and kept the majority under their economic & ideological control. And in achieving this aim they care not for the destruction that they create.

Not a fan then?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pompies said:

Lol.

12 hours ago, Pompies said:

You think those highly conservative people don't drink alcohol?
They drink probably more than you, but they go for premium alcohols. No Johny Alker Red or Black, but Blue, Swing, Gold and others. Same for expensive old cognacs.

13 hours ago, Gavinski said:

I do not see any response from the brewing companies such as Chang and Leo regarding this.  Their bottom line must be hurting.

Perhaps you've unwittingly hit on the real prob. They are still waiting for the Brewers to despatch the brown envelopes!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tunafish said:

"Singapore has no restrictions on the consumption of alcohol" What nonsense!!

A mug of beer typically costs ~S$10. If that is not restrictive, then what is?

That is not restriction, it is to prevent self destruction🤣

21 hours ago, Gavinski said:

I've been doing my best to support  them😝

• Haha 3

Alcohol abuse is a black eye on Thailand.

Striving to resume past levels of alcohol related health and social problems is moronic. 

The drunks keep high quality foreigners away  

yes jamey 27,i too have been staying in thailand for 6 months each year for 18 years!! but all these hoops is just too much.haveing to buy 2 types of insurance from a thai company when i already have insurance i buy in usa that covers me.ive used it 3 times over the years with np.but now thai insist i get their insurance form filled out and stamped and signed by two directors of my company!!which no usa company will do.so this stops me from coming.very sad as i have many freinds there and my lovely gf of 14 years.so all this crap is killing that.maybe one day someone in govt will understand how much hes screwed up a great country. chock dee to all.if these things are not lifted thai will be years getting there tourtist back.

1 hour ago, Rip255 said:

Alcohol abuse is a black eye on Thailand.

Striving to resume past levels of alcohol related health and social problems is moronic. 

The drunks keep high quality foreigners away  

If you are worried about health and social problems and alcohol abuse being a black eye maybe they could start with banning white whisky which is far worse than chang or leo . Drunken tourists come and go fairly quickly but drunken Thais are here forever.  

• Like 2

It's not really free from quarantine unless I've read it wrong as they have to still stay in a SHA hotel for 24hours upon arrival, my daughter and grandson from the UK, were coming for just a week due to work commitments, arriving on Xmas day, but sadly,  if that's the case they won't be. I hope I'm wrong its been a few years since we've managed to actually physically see each other.

40 minutes ago, Jamey27 said:

That’s only in selected states mostly run by leftists. There is no reason why Thailand cannot open outdoor bars and such as it has been known for quite sometime that catching covid outdoors is virtually impossible, keep the indoor bars and clubs closed for a bit longer. No reason Kao San road can’t be opened up 

I was making a specific option for indoor. Unclear as to why you had to make it political. Or is that just something you do...left...right...liberal...conservative....us...them. Hope you at least feel better getting that out there.

• Like 1