News Forum - Monday Covid Update: 8,675 new cases and 44 deaths

Thaiger

Today, the CCSA reported 8,675 new Covid-19 cases and 44 coronavirus-related deaths. In the 24-hour period since the last count, the CCSA has reported 9,589 recoveries. There are now 100,042 people in Thailand receiving treatment for Covid-19. Since April 1, in the country’s most severe wave of the virus, the CCSA has reported a total of 1,830,294 confirmed Covid-19 cases. Out of the new cases recorded today, 201 were found in correctional facilities. Tens of thousands of inmates in Thailand’s overcrowded prisons and detention centres have tested positive for Covid-19 over the past several months. More information and provincial totals […]

The story Monday Covid Update: 8,675 new cases and 44 deaths as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

CCSA is clutching at straws. The figures realeased on a Monday & Tuesday are invariably lower because they reflect weekend days when less testing is done. The plain fact is that at best the situation is flat lining in comparison to, for example,  Japan where the decline in recent weeks has been precipitous despite restrictions being far less draconian but vaccination with high quality vaccine has been far faster. Thailand will pay the price of having forcibly imposed a known third rate vaccine on millions of people.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Today, the CCSA reported 8,675 new Covid-19 cases and 44 coronavirus-related deaths. In the 24-hour period since the last count, the CCSA has reported 9,589 recoveries. There are now 100,042 people in Thailand receiving treatment for Covid-19. Since April 1, in the country’s most severe wave of the virus, the CCSA has reported a total of 1,830,294 confirmed Covid-19 cases. Out of the new cases recorded today, 201 were found in correctional facilities. Tens of thousands of inmates in Thailand’s overcrowded prisons and detention centres have tested positive for Covid-19 over the past several months. More information and provincial totals […]

The story Monday Covid Update: 8,675 new cases and 44 deaths as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Opening the country up while the precent of population vaccinated is still low will boost cases substantially IMO.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pompies said:

CCSA is clutching at straws. The figures realeased on a Monday & Tuesday are invariably lower because they reflect weekend days when less testing is done. The plain fact is that at best the situation is flat lining in comparison to, for example,  Japan where the decline in recent weeks has been precipitous despite restrictions being far less draconian but vaccination with high quality vaccine has been far faster. Thailand will pay the price of having forcibly imposed a known third rate vaccine on millions of people.

Sooo many bad decisions ,to exhausting to list!

2 hours ago, Pompies said:

CCSA is clutching at straws. The figures realeased on a Monday & Tuesday are invariably lower because they reflect weekend days when less testing is done. 

But assuming you are correct, surely the acid test is how today's figures compare with last Monday.  8675-v-10111 (down 14%). At the same time, the 7 day rolling average for new infections is down 8%

• Like 1

Delighted to see the lowest TH new infection since July 12th.

I'd just like to raise an issue that I hope will be read by or transmitted to the Editorial Staff. I do wish that when reporting these numbers, you adopted just one format for the provincial figures and stuck to it.

if I am allowed to state a preference, I liked yesterday's format which gave the ranking of the province in terms of infections, number of cases and whether they were up or down on the previous day, and total infections for that province. But I would settle for these figures to be collated in a single format for the sake of consistency.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

But assuming you are correct, surely the acid test is how today's figures compare with last Monday.  8675-v-10111 (down 14%). At the same time, the 7 day rolling average for new infections is down 8%

Indeed! Curbs of neighbouring countries, like Vietnam and Malaysia for example, are very similarly going down too so could it simply be cause it is exactly what is happening?

Also I am always puzzled why nobody ever mentions the only number that should really matter, deaths. And this number is definitely on its way down the past 2 weeks, coincidentally (well not really) also very similarly the same in neighbouring countries, like Vietnam and Malaysia for example. It should be good news - but for too many commentators here, they prefer to speculate on how "wrong" are the cases numbers (not enough testing, lies, bla bla bla...) and how "it will soon be SO bad in Thailand" instead of being greatful that less and less people are dying from covid 19 in Thailand. I really wonder why!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Manu said:

Indeed! Curbs of neighbouring countries, like Vietnam and Malaysia for example, are very similarly going down too so could it simply be cause it is exactly what is happening?

Also I am always puzzled why nobody ever mentions the only number that should really matter, deaths. And this number is definitely on its way down the past 2 weeks, coincidentally (well not really) also very similarly the same in neighbouring countries, like Vietnam and Malaysia for example. It should be good news - but for too many commentators here, they prefer to speculate on how "wrong" are the cases numbers (not enough testing, lies, bla bla bla...) and how "it will soon be SO bad in Thailand" instead of being greatful that less and less people are dying from covid 19 in Thailand. I really wonder why!!

I can't give any reason for many forums members mistrust of TH figures other than the country has such a long history of corruption, that this in itself is the generator. Give a dog a bad name....

I written this elsewhere, but I will say it again. When govs try to hide things like this from the people, there are usually other sources which expose the truth. In Wuhan, the Chinese gov was claiming a handful of fatalities several weeks after WHO declared a pandemic. People who did a bit of digging, discovered that the six crematoria in the city had gone from working four hours a day each on average to 24/7. In addition, it was discovered that Undertakers had run out of funeral urns.

I don't doubt that more testing would have produced more cases, but 1 stat I looked at was showing 22-35% detection rate in TH tests. The UK detection rate was 2.5%. If you don't understand what is going on here, you might conclude the real figures were 9-14X those reported. But the explanation was fairly simple. Most Thais were seeking testing when they were feeling unwell. But in the UK, many of the tests were of regular healthcare/frontline staff being tested, and many more were people who had an app on their phone that advised them they had been in close contact with a CV case. They were supposed to self-isolate for 10 days, but many got the test in order to avoid this. I am inclined to believe, that had the UK waited until they were feeling unwell instead of rushing to get tests because of a phone app, they too would have been showing 20%+ positive tests.