News Forum - Tourism calls for Russia and India to be added to safe list

Thaiger

1 hour ago, BlueSphinx said:

Shame on you for advocating denial of medical treatment for those that choose not to be vaxxed.  There are many VERY legitimate reasons for not wanting it (e.g. underlying medical conditions, religious convictions, unfavorable risk/benefit for age-category, etc.). 

''....by choice   .." , I said

People who are ill do not have a choice, risk/benfit for age, let the doctors decide that when they state who should be vaccinated subject to age, therefore that is not a personal choice.

Religious convictions, make them get vaccinated, they have no right to put other people at risks just because they believe in fairy stories. 

My belief and I suppose I am allowed to have one, is religions are nothing but a lot of tosh. 

3 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I do wish people who quote figures would check before they publish them or give a source for the claim. The correct figure is 67% fully vaxxed, with a further 6% partials giving about 73%.

But what concerns me most about the UK figures, is that in the past two months, the total share of the population that has had one or both jabs has increased from 70 to just 73%, which supposes that the bulk of the eligible population that wants to be vaxxed, has been. At present, I see nothing to suggest to me that the UK will reach 80% fully vaxxed.

We are both wrong. It is 74.55%

https://www.sortiraparis.com/news/coronavirus/articles/240384-vaccine-in-the-world-as-of-datadatestodayfrlatest-the-percentage-of-people-vacci/lang/en

But then again different figures are given by different sources so none of us (Joe Public)  really knows.

5 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

A definite case of "statistics can be made to prove anything". True there have been 1BN shots given, but only just over 20% of Indians have been fully vaxxed, and about 50% have received no vax at all.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

In addition to what you have said, how many Indians have been tested? India doesn't have a clue how many infected people are walking around.

3 minutes ago, JamesR said:

https://www.sortiraparis.com/news/coronavirus/articles/240384-vaccine-in-the-world-as-of-datadatestodayfrlatest-the-percentage-of-people-vacci/lang/en

But then again different figures are given by different sources so none of us (Joe Public)  really knows.

The official figures from Gov.UK are as follows: Single vaccs-86.4%. Double vaccs- 79.2%

Boosters approx 2.5 million. Regionally, as of last week Booster jab walk in centres are open (so long as you meet the criteria i.e. you have had 2 jabs and the time lapse from your second jab is 6 months and one day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

That sounds very much like a scam to me, particularly looking to fleece the gullible. For these certs to have validity, they would have to be entered on the UK database. So you are an anti-vaxxer and want to travel abroad but don't want to be vaxxed and someone offers to send you a QR code showing that you are vaxxed? And what happens when someone with a code reader sees that this is not entered on the UK database? 

And what are you going to do when you've sent your $100 and you get nothing back, or a code that will not stand scrutiny? Complain to the cops?

Of course, UK and Irish Airports already use a lot of QR coding at security gates as I am sure others do. How difficult would it be to modify these gates to read QR vax certs? I can also foresee the possibility that if Anti-vaxxers are seen as a major obstacle to reducing Covid, they may find themselves excluded from normal life, and this can be done with technology in spaces such as shops, bars, theatres etc installing QR readers to weed out the un-vaxxed.

The Indian certificate is actually very simple to verify.  It's QR coded and can even be read by a smartphone camera.  Just click on https://verify.cowin.gov.in/ and point your camera at the code.

The Cowin API is available to everyone so any airport can easily incorporate it into their QR readers.

Verify Cowin.png

9 minutes ago, Guevara said:

In addition to what you have said, how many Indians have been tested? India doesn't have a clue how many infected people are walking around.

599 million tests till yesterday

Just now, Guevara said:

The official figures from Gov.UK are as follows: Single vaccs-86.4%. Double vaccs- 79.2%

Boosters approx 2.5 million. Regionally, as of last week Booster jab walk in centres are open (so long as you meet the criteria i.e. you have had 2 jabs and the time lapse from your second jab is 6 months and one day.

Cheers for the info, so I said 80% so I was pretty close. 

I can get my booster jab in a couple of weeks time. 

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

That sounds very much like a scam to me, particularly looking to fleece the gullible. For these certs to have validity, they would have to be entered on the UK database. So you are an anti-vaxxer and want to travel abroad but don't want to be vaxxed and someone offers to send you a QR code showing that you are vaxxed? And what happens when someone with a code reader sees that this is not entered on the UK database? 

And what are you going to do when you've sent your $100 and you get nothing back, or a code that will not stand scrutiny? Complain to the cops?

Of course, UK and Irish Airports already use a lot of QR coding at security gates as I am sure others do. How difficult would it be to modify these gates to read QR vax certs? I can also foresee the possibility that if Anti-vaxxers are seen as a major obstacle to reducing Covid, they may find themselves excluded from normal life, and this can be done with technology in spaces such as shops, bars, theatres etc installing QR readers to weed out the un-vaxxed.

It couldn't happen in the UK as the system would be electronic and not a card.

The reason it does and can work in the USA is many states use paper cards, they are used domestically to get into bars etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesR said:

The reason it does and can work in the USA is many states use paper cards, they are used domestically to get into bars etc.

Primitive.

9 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

And the award for the dumbest comment of the day goes to...

To you for stating that only 67% of Brits have been fully vaccinated. 

17 minutes ago, JamesR said:

What is 74.55%?  Looking at that link it looks to me that it is counting all those vaccinated regardless of whether there are one or two doses. I look further and discrepancies can be explained by the fact that the figure quoted on the French site, is almost identical to the figures given by the UK gov site: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations and that UK figure is clearly stated to be about first doses. In addition, the site also under-reports the UK population. Most sites have it at 67 or 68 mill which lowers the percentage even further.

14 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

What is 74.55%?  Looking at that link it looks to me that it is counting all those vaccinated regardless of whether there are one or two doses. I look further and discrepancies can be explained by the fact that the figure quoted on the French site, is almost identical to the figures given by the UK gov site: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations and that UK figure is clearly stated to be about first doses. In addition, the site also under-reports the UK population. Most sites have it at 67 or 68 mill which lowers the percentage even further.

It is all confusing as @Guevara state the following.

"The official figures from Gov.UK are as follows: Single vaccs-86.4%. Double vaccs- 79.2%

Boosters approx 2.5 million. Regionally, as of last week Booster jab walk in centres are open (so long as you meet the criteria i.e. you have had 2 jabs and the time lapse from your second jab is 6 months and one day."

31 minutes ago, Guevara said:

When considering those figures from the UK, you need to bear in mind, that the percentage is based on "eligibility" and not total population. The UK have recently started to vax 12-18 yr olds. Before that they were not added to the population figures which is how the UK determines percentages.

As of yesterday the UK were reporting 49.68 mill with one dose. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations Depending on which figure you believe on UK population (66 to 68 mill). the UK has vaxxed 75.3% at most, and 73.1 at the least. The lower figure is very close to 72.9% reported https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations and is based on each country's entire population and not just those who a gov deems eligible to be counted. In addition, the link that I gave reports up to 23rd Oct. The UK site is reporting data up to 16.00 yesterday. Therefore if you are relying on percentages of population, rather than percentages of "eligibles", the our world in data link is far more accurate.

3 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

When considering those figures from the UK, you need to bear in mind, that the percentage is based on "eligibility" and not total population. The UK have recently started to vax 12-18 yr olds. Before that they were not added to the population figures which is how the UK determines percentages.

As of yesterday the UK were reporting 49.68 mill with one dose. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations Depending on which figure you believe on UK population (66 to 68 mill). the UK has vaxxed 75.3% at most, and 73.1 at the least. The lower figure is very close to 72.9% reported https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations and is based on each country's entire population and not just those who a gov deems eligible to be counted. In addition, the link that I gave reports up to 23rd Oct. The UK site is reporting data up to 16.00 yesterday. Therefore if you are relying on percentages of population, rather than percentages of "eligibles", the our world in data link is far more accurate.

Right so at one point it was over 80% but now they have added kids to the plan so that has made the total vaccinated smaller as a percentage of the population too.

It is still  a good number re the UK as I think most other countries are not vaccinating kids yet so in real terms their vaccination percentages are also less than they quote.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The Indian certificate is actually very simple to verify.  It's QR coded and can even be read by a smartphone camera.  Just click on https://verify.cowin.gov.in/ and point your camera at the code.

The Cowin API is available to everyone so any airport can easily incorporate it into their QR readers.

Verify Cowin.png

I think we are talking about slightly different cases. On the one hand, someone has made a post showing a link which is showing someone, obviously a criminal, offering to falsify a QR code, which will almost certainly fail scrutiny because it will not be in the database of the purported issuing country.

I see a different prob in India. I think the possibility of bribing someone there to add false info to the database is very real. How hard would it be to find a Doc and tell him you don't want the vax, you want the cert? OTOH, what are the chances that some crook in the US could find an accomplice who could get his false certs onto the UK gov database?  

55 minutes ago, JamesR said:

It couldn't happen in the UK as the system would be electronic and not a card.

Which is why I said it sounded like a scam to me. I also added, that anyone who was scammed, could hardly complain to the Police.

8 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Which is why I said it sounded like a scam to me. I also added, that anyone who was scammed, could hardly complain to the Police.

Which reminds me for some reason about a TV licence, it is the word 'Police' I think.

I kept on getting letters from the TV licence department stating I do not have a licence and I had to tell them why.

I had told them two years ago so why should I have to tell them again I though as I do not use their service as I use Netflix.

A few weeks later a guy came to the door to ask why I did not have a licence, I said I had already told them, he said it is against the law to watch the BBC etc without a licence.

I told him I know, I also know it is against the law to rob a bank or steal from a shop for example but I do not have to go and make a report to the police every year to tell them I have not done any of those things.

He gave up and went away.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JamesR said:

To you for stating that only 67% of Brits have been fully vaccinated. 

It seems dumb is starting to become as contagious on this forum. Unfortunately there is no vaccine to help.

But let me give you a simple lesson in arithmetic. The UK gov has just updated it's figures as of 16.00 today. They are now showing 45.56 mill vaccinated. Based on a population of 67.5 (ONS figures), you arrive at a figure of 67.5%

So what could be dumber than telling someone they are dumb, when they are right and you are wrong. The previous award has been made in error, and will now be given the most deserving recipient. You can wear it with pride.

Anyone who is double vaccinated should be let in as tourist, businessman, monger, whatever

Always be some in country un-vaccinated as is their choice.  Move forward, life goes on

Peace

35 minutes ago, JamesR said:

It is all confusing as @Guevara state the following.

"The official figures from Gov.UK are as follows: Single vaccs-86.4%. Double vaccs- 79.2%

Boosters approx 2.5 million. Regionally, as of last week Booster jab walk in centres are open (so long as you meet the criteria i.e. you have had 2 jabs and the time lapse from your second jab is 6 months and one day."

As I've already explained to Guevara, those figures are not based on entire population but "eligible for vaxxing". For a long time, the UK's version of the UK population did not include under 18's because they were not eligible for vaxxing. If you extrapolate the percentage of vaxxed as a percentage of the eligible for vaxxing, you get a UK population of about 57.5 Mill. The real population is about another 10 mill.

The more you lower the real population, the higher you can appear to make the vax rates.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wasminbe said:

Agreed! Many times I've seen these sick men haggling with the women on Pattaya beach road trying to get a 3, 4 or 5 for one deal.-Extremely rude to local business workers as well. Some I've met are good people, but the majority I could do without.

Don't you have to be 'sick' in the first place to want to walk down the Pattaya Beach Road after doing it once.

I was staying in Rayong two years ago and thought I would go for a day trip to Pattaya, it is a terrible place, I walked down the beach road and was accosted by a prozzie every ten yards or so, and this was in the afternoon.

I will not do that again.

Lots of guys of all nationalities went from one woman to the other like butterflies, I suppose they were trying to get it for free. 🤣