News Forum - Tourism calls for Russia and India to be added to safe list

Thaiger

Now that the 46 countries that can enter Thailand on November 1 without quarantine have been announced, many in the tourism industry are calling for some notable absences to be added to the list. Tourism groups in major travel hubs are calling on the government to add Russia and India to the list of approved countries, believing it will massively boost the number of travellers coming into Thailand this high season. Russia didn’t make the cut for the 46 approved countries because of a recent surge in Covid-19 in the country the only has about a 33% vaccination rate with […]

The story Tourism calls for Russia and India to be added to safe list as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This article really annoyed me. I’m an Aussie with tickets booked for my Thai wife and myself to travel back to Thailand early next year, and I am hoping to retire in Thailand shortly thereafter.

Why I am annoyed is that, as the article clearly pointed out, Russia is miles behind with its vaccination levels, with only about 33% fully vaccinated, and I’m not sure about India.
To me, I read this statement from the tourism bosses is “we don’t care about the physical health of the Thai people or those visitors who have gone to the trouble of being fully vaccinated. All we want is the money, and if it brings more Covid-19 into Thailand, we’ll as long as we get the money, that’s good enough for us!”

If it’s good enough to add Russia to your list of “safe countries” then why have a list at all, you might as well let anyone in!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

An ozzie is annoyed? " i am not sure about india"!! It has vaccinated 1 billion people, what do you not know?  Except racism of course from a coubtry with just 23 pr is it 24 million people and one of the lowest vacc rates despite this small.number

• Angry 1

20 minutes ago, Dasoba said:

This article really annoyed me. I’m an Aussie with tickets booked for my Thai wife and myself to travel back to Thailand early next year, and I am hoping to retire in Thailand shortly thereafter.

Why I am annoyed is that, as the article clearly pointed out, Russia is miles behind with its vaccination levels, with only about 33% fully vaccinated, and I’m not sure about India.
To me, I read this statement from the tourism bosses is “we don’t care about the physical health of the Thai people or those visitors who have gone to the trouble of being fully vaccinated. All we want is the money, and if it brings more Covid-19 into Thailand, we’ll as long as we get the money, that’s good enough for us!”

If it’s good enough to add Russia to your list of “safe countries” then why have a list at all, you might as well let anyone in!

Haha.

US death rate 1600 PER DAY, cases per day 140k SAFE COUNTRY 

Uk death rate 150, cases per day 50k SAFE COUNTRY 

Lithuania most cases per 100k in a WORLD. Still a safe country 

Bulgaria most deaths per 100k in a WORLD. Still a safe country 

Singapore is about to enter new wave again. SAFE COUNTRY.

Russia 38k cases a day +1000 deaths a day. NOT SAFE.

U either do it honest way. Like INDONESIA did. WHOs safe list? Lets see, Antigua, Poland, and  Bermudas. No tourism, but at least its honest approach.

Or u do it cheat way, like Thailand. They using Russia as a scape goat to justify letting US and UK in. " Hey look, our borders are on control, no virus inside"!

Edited by YesNoMaybe
Typo
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dasoba said:

That's next months big news from Prayut Shhhhhh.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Hmmm. The thing to remember is that as long as there is a very strict regime of PCR test 72 hours prior to arrival and double dose vaccination (evidenced), it doesn't matter which country the people come from. It is the same rule for everyone. Those who try to cheat, will be found out (by the PCR test on arrival). I to have booked to come to Thailand. It's interesting that the country of origin isn't the decisive factor. The decisive factor is Thailand's ability to verify PCR testing and vaccination status.  I am more concerned about the percentage of the people in Phuket who have been vaccinated. The Thaiger hasn't published any stats on this. They just pass on the CCSA case numbers every day. Dasoba, I hear your pain. I feel the same. 

• Like 6

Both countries citizens can enter via the Pattaya (or whichever) sandbox scheme. There is virtually no difference. A single extra test and a requirement to stay in that city for seven days (or go.back home if you want to leave early). BFD 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Dasoba said:

India sofar achieved 1billion doses shots to its citizens.. We are the leaders of vaccination.... 

• Haha 3

I rarely comment on comments but Khun needs to check his statement. At the moment, Australia is busily vaccinating people. Check the current stats on vaccination in my country. We have just surpassed the US per capita. You will say that's easy to do in a country with our population. But have you considered the area over which that population is spread?? Remote communities in our country are literally hundreds of kilometers apart. Type into google how many times your country would fit into Australia in terms of area. Maybe then, you will realise the enormity of the task for us. We will reach 80% double dosed and I have no concerns about the accuracy of the data....

• Like 5

Dprasad, Good on you!!!!!!!! And good on India!!! Dear friend in the Commonwealth, I have been so heartbroken at the disaster that befell India. So many deaths. So many funeral piers. So much anguish! I hope that you and all the citizens of India, will arise from this pandemic stronger, safer andwill hold the memory of your dear ones who died, close to you always :) 

9,000+ people a day reported infected and that this country is even considering opening shows staggering contempt for the wellbeing of tourists.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

I rarely comment on comments but Khun needs to check his statement. At the moment, Australia is busily vaccinating people. Check the current stats on vaccination in my country. We have just surpassed the US per capita. You will say that's easy to do in a country with our population. But have you considered the area over which that population is spread?? Remote communities in our country are literally hundreds of kilometers apart. Type into google how many times your country would fit into Australia in terms of area. Maybe then, you will realise the enormity of the task for us. We will reach 80% double dosed and I have no concerns about the accuracy of the data....

Agreed Jason. Australia is doing well now. Attached is a graph showing the percentage of fully vaccinated people (double dose or single J&J dose) as of today.

Australia insists on releasing “% of eligible population” figures, which is somewhat misleading but even with the total population figures, the Aussies have a high rate of vaccination.

All this data can be found on the Financial Times website:

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker/?areas=gbr&areas=usa&areas=jpn&areas=tha&areas=ind&areas=rus&areas=aus&cumulative=1&doses=full&populationAdjusted=1

93855264-D147-4756-9A38-A1732C1C29C1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Agreed Jason. Australia is doing well now. Attached is a graph showing the percentage of fully vaccinated people (double dose or single J&J dose) as of today.

Australia insists on releasing “% of eligible population” figures, which is somewhat misleading but even with the total population figures, the Aussies have a high rate of vaccination.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker/?areas=gbr&areas=usa&areas=jpn&areas=tha&areas=ind&areas=rus&areas=aus&cumulative=1&doses=full&populationAdjusted=1

Good graph to use as an indicator. I think both nations should be held back a little longer. Should covid levels fall then entry lists can become longer.

Russia's numbers infected are still high and although their vaccine program isn't bad but many of her citizens have downright refused to vaccinate. India has often lied and numbers of infections released by India have been deemed suspect by both physicians and journalists as bodies were conveniently disposed with.

Better being safe than sorry but in the end it doesn't matter where you are from. If a person refuses to stay hygienic, wear masks keep safe distance then infection can follow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Dprasad said:

India sofar achieved 1billion doses shots to its citizens.. We are the leaders of vaccination.... 

2ND after China, 2.2bn doses thus far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I salute u both, but what exact difference does it make for a poor unvaccinated thai chap whod get covid from a fully vaccinated brit?

611527b0623c39b11ce7a8a3_g7f-b41Cxp_Vjdn9ea1z3BV34I02HfCPxy29Jvk7J8mGe5IFbfxI8EVtQSU28mUEsE7lAUStfsEtw8FyumUHlktjttA1jT4fLco613a2jyz1lhmxv-NHINTVzf8kdv2d03ft8WtW.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Good graph to use as an indicator. I think both nations should be held back a little longer. Should covid levels fall then entry lists can become longer.

Russia's numbers infected are still high and although their vaccine program isn't bad but many of her citizens have downright refused to vaccinate. India has often lied and numbers of infections released by India have been deemed suspect by both physicians and journalists as bodies were conveniently disposed with.

Better being safe than sorry but in the end it doesn't matter where you are from. If a person refuses to stay hygienic, wear masks keep safe distance then infection can follow.

Agreed. If “the percentage of the fully vaccinated total population” were to be a key criterion in determining which countries should be added to the safe list, then Russia and India should absolutely NOT be considered, as both are doing poorly in this regard relative to other nations, as shown in the data above.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Agreed. If “the percentage of the fully vaccinated total population” were to be a key criterion in determining which countries should be added to the safe list, then Russia and India should absolutely NOT be considered, as both are doing poorly in this regard relative to other nations, as shown in the data above.

I wonder if local intellectuals understand the concept of vaccine.

If u vaccinated with pcr and u board a plane then what difference what country u fly from?

And by the way U can arrive from a zero vaccine country and be negative and fly from UK and be positive double jabbed lad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The problem is the conflict involving public opinion and expectations versus political policy that confuses and feeds public opinion and expectations !

From the outset of the "global pandemic" that has now devolved into a global epidemic of serious impact there is little consistency in policy other than haphazard political self preservative attempts to pacify expectations while negotiating the result of ignorance, deceptions, opportunism, and manipulations at almost every level everywhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dprasad said:

so that would indicated no more than 36% of the Indian population is double vaccinated and most likely much less? How does that make India leaders of vaccination? Leaders in what way? 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

2ND after China, 2.2bn doses thus far.

That makes China 69% double vaccinated at best and many have had the Sinovac vaccine. So doing ok out there in China but nowhere near the top ten I’m afraid. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Too right. Waiting another month would be wise. India has a humungous population and not to be offensive but it certainly is not the pricne of hygiene among nations. Attitudes are finally changing in Russia but numbers refusing vaccines is still high.

After that month I would allow both. Those denied entry will see another draw back of not vaccinating. 

Not to sound biased with what is a delicate issue but I would not allow African nations entry. Most countries are less than 5 % vaccinated. When I would return home after work duty in Kenya, Uganda, Cameroon and Gabon all passengers disembarking had to report to airport health authorities. Very few had yellow fever, meningitis, cholera etc vaccinations. It was pre covid but I felt sympathy for the authorities trying to reason with the arrivals from high risk areas.

Edited by mickkotlarski
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

"Safe" list ? Misleading name. It's a "cash cow" list. A list of countries whose tourists can be milked for cash. Ha ha ha.

Edited by Bangkok_Gary
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Too right. Waiting another month would be wise. India has a humungous population and not to be offensive but it certainly is not the pricne of hygiene among nations. Attitudes are finally changing in Russia but numbers refusing vaccines is still high.

After that month I would allow both. Those denied entry will see another draw back of not vaccinating. 

Not to sound biased with what is a delicate issue but I would not allow African nations entry. Most countries are less than 5 % vaccinated. When I would return home after work duty in Kenya, Uganda, Cameroon and Gabon all passengers disembarking had to report to airport health authorities. Very few had yellow fever, meningitis, cholera etc vaccinations. It was pre covid but I felt sympathy for the authorities trying to reason with the arrivals from high risk areas.

Lol, " ill allow both" hahaha. Is it a comical forum?

They already there. Russians comin in Phuket since august. One test and then they roaming around, coughin on anglo bystanders))).

and from 1st november they are gonna hang out in Pattaya on a same sandbox. Free to roam since day ONE.

They already selling charters to Pattaya from november 9.

the problem is a second test. 

U Still have a test on a way out. But for some reason(thais prolly think russians are richest) u need to do one more in the middle of ur vacation.