News Forum - Chiang Mai Covid-19 infections swell ahead of reopening

Thaiger

November 1 is fast approaching and with it a major reopening effort all across Thailand. But a few of the target Blue Zone areas that the government has focused on due to their popularity with foreign tourists are struggling, as Chiang Mai in particular has been battling a swell in Covid-19 infections. Chiang Mai has seen their daily infection numbers jumping since the second week of October and they steadily climbed from under 200 to now in the 350 to 450 range each day. Officials attribute this jump to the uncovering of new infection clusters as the province tests residence […]

The story Chiang Mai Covid-19 infections swell ahead of reopening as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

'Chiang Mai has 74% of its population vaccinated, over 934,000 people'

fully vaccinated or just 1st dose of sinovac ?

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, palooka said:

You increase testing and you find more infections. 

That is a real shock. (to the big opening)

Doesn't look good for the big 4 with hua hin now too looking to delay opening ! Do you Think they rushed it ?🤔

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I seriously do not find much or any truth in this article. The only thing I see true is there is a surge and let's say it is on the way to being out of control. Don't even buy 74% vaccinated and markets are one of the biggest points. I really consider this fake finger pointing.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I seriously do not find much or any truth in this article. The only thing I see true is there is a surge and let's say it is on the way to being out of control. Don't even buy 74% vaccinated and markets are one of the biggest points. I really consider this fake finger pointing.

I don't buy 74% either.  But fake finger pointing?  Not sure what you mean.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

I don't buy 74% either.  But fake finger pointing?  Not sure what you mean.

Primarily for this quote: He fears that clusters like this will continue to be found in part because people don’t want to admit that they visited illegal nightlife venues, parties, or gambling dens, where are they get infected and then spread Covid-19 among their family and community.

If you consider how many open markets and where the vegetable and meat deliveries are coming from and people infected, then this alone can be responsible for thousands and thousands. All of these CM delivery trucks go back to their farm areas and have big interaction with people. The next one is there is no real social distancing here in the big sense when considering malls, stores and restaurants. Those ones that they mentioned  me and my wife don't buy it one bit.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

If you consider how many open markets and where the vegetable and meat deliveries are coming from and people infected, then this alone can be responsible for thousands and thousands. All of these CM delivery trucks go back to their farm areas and have big interaction with people. The next one is there is no real social distancing here in the big sense when considering malls, stores and restaurants. Those ones that they mentioned  me and my wife don't buy it one bit.

I agree with that and why we stay well clear of all CM markets.  Misdirected finger pointing a better description? 😛  They may be saying this to justify club and bar closure extensions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

Doesn't look good for the big 4 with hua hin now too looking to delay opening ! Do you Think they rushed it ?🤔

Definitely.  The decision has always been money driven, cannot blame them though, the country is slipping backwards at a fast pace. 

• Like 3

No way 74% have been vaccinated here. Maybe 74% have seen a poster of a vaccine, but week after week vaccination events have been cancelled as there were no vaccines. Ask 10 people, even in the service industry and more than half will tell you that they didn't have anything yet.

In the weekends Chiang Mai is visited by domestic tourists who do not wear facemasks, do not conform to social distancing and drive all over the place. 

There is no enforcement of any kind. 

The markets are staffed by Myanmar- and out of town workers. Those are mainly unvaccinated altogether and over a thousand have tested positive.

More tourists (domestic and international) will arrive. They may pick up the virus anywhere in Thailand and spread it all over.

To give you an idea of the main market: It was opened again yesterday after 2 weeks closure. But vendors must now have a vaccination certificate. Hence the market is open, but of the thousands of stalls only about 10 are actually open.

The few foreign tourists that you see are completely lost here. There is nothing to do besides visiting a temple or a park. 

Many businesses have gone bust, and the others don't even bother opening. Everything is empty or the shutters are down.

It's a ghost town, day and night.

IMG_20211022_120533.jpg

IMG_20211022_181315.jpg

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Can say that again. 

Quicker now to drive thru the city north to south than take the highway, and that's a first!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Can say that again. 

Quicker now to drive thru the city north to south than take the highway, and that's a first!

Damn shame that, but it is echoed in many places unfortunately

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

I agree with that and why we stay well clear of all CM markets.  Misdirected finger pointing a better description? 😛  They may be saying this to justify club and bar closure extensions.

Misdirected or fake surely works for me. Yes you may be right on them plainly trying to extend the closures, or it could be solemnly only pointing the guilty finger so to be not their fault as is easy to shoot blame in the direction that way considering all the things in the past here that caused minor spreads. It basically in an unfounded unsubstantiated cannot be proven statement. Any relation to being open by law is in their ballgame of fault because in reality they were the ones who dropped the ball in brining in the vaccines in the first place. So pointing the almighty finger outwards when it needs to be pointed inward.

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Yep, I see and hear that a ringing in my ears. Good post Bob20. It takes a CM real hands on person to know what's going on here. and it is not good. But funny is, we as foreigners cover more ground than the average Thai does. We go and go and go and see and see. They not so much out of their box, because they tend to only stay in their box. My wife hates when I deviate on the way home just to go a different way home..

35 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

haha .. same same.

Aint that the darn truth? A new category we can do. Sort of, you know you are married to a Thai when: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gummy said:

Damn shame that, but it is echoed in many places unfortunately

Yes and no. Do you remember when it was so nice way back when we had not so many tourists double and triple and quadruple plus plus ? We as the old timers should be respected by them. 

13 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yes and no. Do you remember when it was so nice way back when we had not so many tourists double and triple and quadruple plus plus ? We as the old timers should be respected by them. 

Why do you feel the need to be respected by anyone?

I will never get this.

Expats saying "I contribute this much "

And that "they should be respected "

No one is living there by charity 

They are all living there because they want to

They shouldn't be demanding any recognition

But so many expats in Thailand think thru deserve it for some reason  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Why do you feel the need to be respected by anyone?

I will never get this.

Expats saying "I contribute this much "

And that "they should be respected "

No one is living there by charity 

They are all living there because they want to

They shouldn't be demanding any recognition

But so many expats in Thailand think thru deserve it for some reason  

Yeah when I was living back in Australia I never stopped to thank or recognise any immigrants for their "contributions" to my country and my life.

It is bizarre that quite a high % feel that Thailand owes them something.

I have noticed it is more often than not the ones who are cohabitating with a bargirl who feel that "Thailand" owes them. Former PM Taksin did recognise them years ago saying "Thankyou to the foreigners who take our second hand women and their children"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Officials attribute this jump to the uncovering of new infection clusters as the province tests residence

Surprise!!! More Testing... More "Cases" Less Testing Less "Cases" 

Let's keep this simple shall we...

If you REALLY wanted to know the impact of a disease you would count the number confirmed "cases" that are treated and/or die in the hospitals. In particular, how many are seriously ill in the intensive care units and how many are confirmed (by forensic autopsy) to have died of the illness called SARS COV2. Counting asymptomatic "Cases" (also known as normal not sick people) is at minimum a disingenuous attempt at an epidemiological analysis and at worst, it is a blatant obfuscation. 

Counting asymptomatic "cases" (people who are NOT sick) is a complete travesty. 

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Grammar correction additional content.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Most Americans will fail, but for me I know I can pass that test at a very high level at 90% or

I found that post hard to follow.