News Forum - Vietnam to test reopening starting with Phu Quoc Island

Thaiger

Vietnam was one of the earliest countries to lockdown due to Covid-19, a strategy that had done it well until a massive outbreak in April, just like Thailand. And now, also like Thailand, they are looking to relaunch their tourism industry after close to two years of closures. Vietnam is now looking to reopen in late November, starting with the popular resort island of Phu Quoc. The island aims to reopen to inoculated foreign tourists starting November 20 with charter flights bringing fully vaccinated international travellers to the tropical paradise. Phu Quoc is known for beautiful white sand beaches and […]

The story Vietnam to test reopening starting with Phu Quoc Island as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I here only good things from fellow countrymen who have been there. Better hurry up Thailand, or Vietnam will steal your cheese :D

I have been there a couple of times. It is a nice place. The women there are whiter, slimmer and have larger breasts, but Thailand has the edge. 

Better tourist infrastructure here, and the Thais are smarter at providing for every scope of tourist from the backpackers to five star high end. The communist rule in Vietnam does them no favours. 

Vietnam is a good place to visit a few times but Thailand does attract and will attract the people who come year after year.

It isn't a Thailand versus Vietnam as some like to think. They can compliment each other. Cambodia and Vietnam both benefit from Thailand's success at bringing people to SEA.

The Thais are the absolute professionals when it comes to tourism. Vietnam are still learning.

Tourist Satisfaction: Thailand Has a Better Tourist Return Rate Than Vietnam. Apparently, over 50% of Thailand's tourists return whereas the return rate for Vietnam is around 10%. 

https://www.asiahighlights.com/southeast-asia/vietnam-vs-thailand

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I here only good things from fellow countrymen who have been there. Better hurry up Thailand, or Vietnam will steal your cheese :D

Ha

Never because the Vietnamese don't make you feel "special"

They aren't as fawning as their Thai counterparts and that is what attracts most farang to Thailand, IMO

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

It isn't a Thailand versus Vietnam as some like to think. They can compliment each other. Cambodia and Vietnam both benefit from Thailand's success at bringing people to SEA.

I recommend Rob as the next TAT chairman. Only problem is he uses common sense so may not get the job.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

I recommend Rob as the next TAT chairman. Only problem is he uses common sense so may not get the job.

Complimentary cold beer and massage on arrival. Welcome to Thailand.

The team at TAT know what they are doing. Sustained success and growth over decades. Both in the numbers of arrivals and the amount they spend. They had to open Swampy to handle the exploding numbers and then redo Don Muang a few years later. Phuket airport was at capacity so they are now building a second Phuket Airport just over the Sarasin bridge in Phangnga. 

I saw how quickly they recovered after other setbacks, the Tsunami, Bali bombing, the WFC etc etc.

Thailand has something/somewhere for a wide range of budgets, age groups and nationalities. The Thais no how to do hospitality well and profit from it.

Burma, Malaysia, Cambodia and Vietnam all have nice weather and beaches. More tourists come to Thailand than all those countries combined.

As the old saying goes "There is no flies on the Thais".

Smart people. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Complimentary cold beer and massage on arrival. Welcome to Thailand.

The team at TAT know what they are doing. Sustained success and growth over decades. Both in the numbers of arrivals and the amount they spend. They had to open Swampy to handle the exploding numbers and then redo Don Muang a few years later. Phuket airport was at capacity so they are now building a second Phuket Airport just over the Sarasin bridge in Phangnga. 

I saw how quickly they recovered after other setbacks, the Tsunami, Bali bombing, the WFC etc etc.

Thailand has something/somewhere for a wide range of budgets, age groups and nationalities. The Thais no how to do hospitality well and profit from it.

Burma, Malaysia, Cambodia and Vietnam all have nice weather and beaches. More tourists come to Thailand than all those countries combined.

As the old saying goes "There is no flies on the Thais".

Smart people. 

Absolutely! Well worded. If the above stated was false then why are we here now? Spot Rob. My criticism of some recent decisions may well soon vanish once all is normalized after  Covid19 is contained. Thank you for the quote.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, RobMuir said:

Apparently, over 50% of Thailand's tourists return whereas the return rate for Vietnam is around 10%. 

TBH I'm not surprised at that.

I've been to Vietnam twice, albeit 14 years ago, and although I can see that it'd be interesting the first time in one place or for somewhere to live, I can't see the attraction for too many return visits.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:52 PM, Thaiger said:

Phu Quoc had already been drawing massive crowds with figures from 2019 reporting US $18 billion generated by approximately 670,000 international travellers.

I find that seriously hard to believe.

$18 billion from 670,000 works out to over $25,000 dollars from every international visitor.

Not just over $25,000 per visitor, but $50,000 for a couple, or over $100,000 for a married couple with a couple of young kids.

That's ten times what the average international visitor to Phuket spends (80,000 baht), and twenty times what the average Indian visitor spends.

That just doesn't seem possible let alone likely, and puts some of the TAT's claims in the shade.

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

TBH I'm not surprised at that.

I've been to Vietnam twice, albeit 14 years ago, and although I can see that it'd be interesting the first time in one place or for somewhere to live, I can't see the attraction for too many return visits.

I knew you would agree with me Stonker. You usually do.

• Haha 1