News Forum - US man arrested for bank fraud 1 day before statute of limitation

Thaiger

In the sort of scene usually reserved for action movies, an American man wanted for bank fraud was captured at the last minute, one day before the statute of limitation expired on his crimes. Thomas Grimm, a 63 year old man from the US, was arrested at a hotel in Hua Hin accused of a scam 15 years ago where he defrauded bank customers in a phishing scam. The Economic Crime Division police managed to catch up with the fugitive in the Prachuap Khiri Khan resort town after a 15 year hunt stemming from an e-banking fraud scheme in October […]

The story US man arrested for bank fraud 1 day before statute of limitation as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Thomas Grimm,

Sounds like he might be reaping the reward for his indiscretions then .. 

What did Grim Reaper say when he walked into a shoe shop .? 

I've come for your soles .. 

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Sounds like he might be reaping the reward for his indiscretions then .. 

What did Grim Reaper say when he walked into a shoe shop .? 

I've come for your soles .. 

The two customers said in surprise, "Our soles?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Police obtained a warrant for Grimm’s arrest for the bank fraud from the Thon Buri Criminal Court on Monday, and police managed to catch up with him just in time, one day before the 15-year statute of limitation expired.

Just in the Old Nick of time.

It's as if they had a calendar notification reminder and thought "knew there was something we were supposed to do, but never got round to doing."

25 minutes ago, Scribble said:

It's as if they had a calendar notification reminder and thought "knew there was something we were supposed to do, but never got round to doing."

Exactly! Procrastinators Anonymous ;)

What amazes me is how some people fall for theses scams, we know a bank or any other standard company will never cold call you and ask you directly for your account details, passwords etc via phone or email or text. 

I received an email from Paypal yesterday, it looked very official and stated they had taken $100 out of my Paypal account for a delivery.

I thought, well I have not orderer anything for a few weeks and why would it be in dollars it would be in pounds sterling so obviously a scam.

Plus another check people can do is check the senders email address which will be disguised as Paypal for example, so just right click on it in the email and it will show its true address which will be something strange like safaskjrjklerwe@weAredodgy1637.com

Assuming that he didn't do 90 day reporting and apply for his new visas, so how does he survive 15 years and reside in a hotel (I assume residential Hotel) in Hua Hin?

• Like 1