News Forum - Tourism Minister proposes reopening entertainment venues November 1

Thaiger

20 minutes ago, thingamabob said:

There will be very few tourists unless the govt opens up the bars etc.

What % of tourists do you think spend time in the bars and it's a main focus of their trip?

Give me a guess...

4 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I saw one myself from a Friday night from Bangla road it was busy

Was there last night and fairly busy .. most bars have signs up to stop you from filming especially live.. but 10pm everything closed everyone out of bars, shutters down.. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

And yet you choose to live there

Thailand sure has some pull on some people......

Yes obviously 

This was your quote

all my years going to Phuket(18) "

7 hours ago, Tjampman said:

Could they drop the tax on beer as well, please?

With prices like they have it is difficult to be a functioning alcoholic 😂

Do your best.

Your best is always good enough.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What is he proposing that most other countries haven't?

(Especially mine with so many bad proposals)

There has been so many, what seems like, hasty proposals by so many countries 

I think people have lost sight that this is unprecedented times

No one is really "qualified " to handle this because we/they never faced this 

What do you think many of us would do as tourism minister of a country that has lost 95% of it's business?

Plus they have pressure from their citizens

I am sure any decisions we would make in these roles wouldn't be perfect either and questioned

One of my best friends growing up is Mayor of my city 

I'm not bashing him, but I'd rate him in the lower 3rd tier of intelligence amongst my friends

And he was handed a frigging pandemic to try and sort out!

This shit is incredibly hard, I think we all lose sight of that...   

I agree these are difficult times and no one alive today has had to deal with a pandemic on this scale. I also agree every country has made poor decision with the benefit of hindsight. However, we are now some 22 months in to this pandemic.  Most countries have experienced wave after wave of cases and deaths. We know it is mainly airborne transmission which is the greatest risk, and we know the vaccines available reduce risk of death. So given all of that, you have to be in the 30th tier of intelligence, or the upper 1st tier of selfishness, to suggest opening nightlife such as bars and clubs until you have vaccinated more. I don’t blame anyone for trying to strike a balance in order to get things moving again. But lifting of nightlife is placing a heavy weight in favour of the virus.   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

And yet you choose to live there

Thailand sure has some pull on some people......

Your point is what other than total nonsense what exactly ? You have stated elsewhere  you are 46 years old. That means I was living here when you were 7 years old. Bet I have more of an insight into Thailand than you will ever have.  So unless you pride yourself in bickering may I suggest you offer something contributory to the thread ?

12 hours ago, Randalltexcobb said:

If your farang and you break rule you will pay 

so don’t worry what you see , worry what u do 

now do you want to be looking over shoulders half cut all day 

if not they will tap you on shoulder and you will pay .... that’s not a holiday 

Bangla Road is FULLY open - this is not cloak and dagger sneak in around the back stuff, it is fully open. If the police weren't happy about that they would have done something about it by now.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

5 hours ago, Poolie said:

Do your best.

Your best is always good enough.

Unless you're Anthony Joshua/Frank Bruno/Eddie the Eagle....

5 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Unless you're Anthony Joshua/Frank Bruno/Eddie the Eagle....

He should be ok I reckon. There's only him and a glass involved 🍹

11 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

My guess it will be going up soon, the shops are running out of ciggies 

yup none to get here right now besides the green labels...

9 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

Yes obviously 

This was your quote

all my years going to Phuket(18) "

You really didn't understand my point????

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree these are difficult times and no one alive today has had to deal with a pandemic on this scale. I also agree every country has made poor decision with the benefit of hindsight. However, we are now some 22 months in to this pandemic.  Most countries have experienced wave after wave of cases and deaths. We know it is mainly airborne transmission which is the greatest risk, and we know the vaccines available reduce risk of death. So given all of that, you have to be in the 30th tier of intelligence, or the upper 1st tier of selfishness, to suggest opening nightlife such as bars and clubs until you have vaccinated more. I don’t blame anyone for trying to strike a balance in order to get things moving again. But lifting of nightlife is placing a heavy weight in favour of the virus.   

And I agree that they shouldn't open nightclubs

Anyhow I'd say open-air bars are ok but that opens up a battle of  "you let them open but not us"

My point was it is easy for us to criticize without acknowledging we wouldn't have all the right answers either 

The pressure some of these decision makers are under is immense

4 hours ago, gummy said:

Your point is what other than total nonsense what exactly ? You have stated elsewhere  you are 46 years old. That means I was living here when you were 7 years old. Bet I have more of an insight into Thailand than you will ever have.  So unless you pride yourself in bickering may I suggest you offer something contributory to the thread ?

My point is why the hell would you live In a country you feel that way

It's baffling....

If you truly feel that way, why wouldn't you move your wife(and possible kids) back to your home country 

By the way, I'm not saying you are  wrong in your thoughts(maybe exgarrating a bit)

But the way you speak, it would be detrimental for your family to live there 

So I don't understand anyone who truly feels that way wouldn't move to a better situation 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

So I don't understand anyone who truly feels that way wouldn't move to a better situation 

With his attitude I can't see the average Thai warming to him and wouldn't want him here so he wouldn't only be doing himself a favour by leaving.

Nothing worse than someone showing up uninvited to a place who then constantly slags it and the locals off.

If he has been here 39 years and can't even read the local lingo I don't know how accurate his insight is.

Time to move on.

Edited by RobMuir

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Unfortunately their assumptions that the poor Issan people would suffer badly from contagion did not go as  they had hoped perhaps, so in an attempt to ensure that the virus spread he  encouraged the infected Bangkokians and others to travel for SongKran this year

That is ludicrous.

Bangkok was the centre of the outbreak so that is where most of the vaccines went.

Phuket needed to open up to tourism whichwas important to the economy. Tourists don't want to go to Issan.

The PM is from Issan himself, so your death conspiracy is absurd.

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What % of tourists do you think spend time in the bars and it's a main focus of their trip?

Give me a guess...

I would guess 5%

14 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

That is ludicrous.

Bangkok was the centre of the outbreak so that is where most of the vaccines went.

Phuket needed to open up to tourism whichwas important to the economy. Tourists don't want to go to Issan.

The PM is from Issan himself, so your death conspiracy is absurd.

Correct 

And the way villages are spread out, there were less likely predisposed to outbreaks

But Gummy is correct in that the villages, from what I have seen and read, did a good job of mitigating spreads and putting restrictions in place 

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

Correct 

And the way villages are spread out, there were less likely predisposed to outbreaks

But Gummy is correct in that the villages, from what I have seen and read, did a good job of mitigating spreads and putting restrictions in place 

Plus a lot Bangkok is airconned. Half those poorly built Issan houses have air coming in from all directions which probably also helped keep the numbers very low.

The Thais did ten times better than similarly populated Britain with a low death rate.

The farangers criticizing Thailand about covid should have a look back at their own country. Very few faranger countries did a better job than Thailand.

But some people just ignore the numbers and love to Thaibash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Plus a lot Bangkok is airconned. Half those poorly built Issan houses have air coming in from all directions which probably also helped keep the numbers very low.

The Thais did ten times better than similarly populated Britain with a low death rate.

The farangers criticizing Thailand about covid should have a look back at their own country. Very few faranger countries did a better job than Thailand.

But some people just ignore the numbers and love to Thaibash.

I was telling everyone what a blinding job Thailand had done with the virus - it has almost passed us by I was telling everyone. Proud of  my adopted country.

However fast forward 18 months and its blatantly clear Thailand got lucky, very very lucky - that luck was horribly confirmed when Covid did hit and the utter incompetence shown by Prayuth, a man so out of his depth its not funny, and his even more incompetent sidekick kicked in and shone a very bright light on that luck ! Didn't Thailand go from like second in the world to 3rd worst in the world ?

Now reduced to endless promises of vaccines that don't materialise to try and keep a lid on it, and when they do his own people don't want them, but his Chinese paymasters are higher in the pecking order than thai people, and now having to rely on donations from other countries yet have one of the largest dollar reserves in the world. Pure incompetence on an unparalleled scale.

As for comparing it to lets say more developed countries you are forgetting the chasm between their testing and Thailands testing - if Thailand had carried out testing on the same scale - I wonder how they would compare then ? You would also do well to appreciate the land sizes between the countries you are comparing and how the populations live. You're comparing apples with oranges.

The rest is history and the Thai people have suffered miserably as  result - but don't take my word for it, ask them! They're probably best placed to comment on this, however you might not like what you hear.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

And I agree that they shouldn't open nightclubs

Anyhow I'd say open-air bars are ok but that opens up a battle of  "you let them open but not us"

My point was it is easy for us to criticize without acknowledging we wouldn't have all the right answers either 

The pressure some of these decision makers are under is immense

Totally agree and I’ve said many times I would not to be in the shoes of decision makers. Damned if you do and dammed if you don’t. 

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

My point is why the hell would you live In a country you feel that way

It's baffling....

If you truly feel that way, why wouldn't you move your wife(and possible kids) back to your home country 

By the way, I'm not saying you are  wrong in your thoughts(maybe exgarrating a bit)

But the way you speak, it would be detrimental for your family to live there 

Simple, you don't get anywhere running  from a problem. You stay and help your families and friends  improve their lives for the benefit of the kids. Cowards never achieve anything. As I said after 38 years and families, friends and kids here you stay, not run away.

2 hours ago, gummy said:

Simple, you don't get anywhere running  from a problem. You stay and help your families and friends  improve their lives for the benefit of the kids. Cowards never achieve anything. As I said after 38 years and families, friends and kids here you stay, not run away.

Fair enough......

You moved there in 1982? That's incredible 

I wasn't even dry humping girls yet 5555

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Benroon said:

The rest is history and the Thai people have suffered miserably as  result - but don't take my word for it, ask them! They're probably best placed to comment on this, however you might not like what you hear.

Although they wouldn't mine and moan 1/10th of what goes on here

They just get on with things, that is one of the best traits of Thai people, IMO

PS......I don't disagree with anything you said 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gummy said:

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Good onya mate, I don't know what they would do without you.

Surprised after 38 years you haven't made more progress.

9 hours ago, Benroon said:

They're probably best placed to comment on this, however you might not like what you hear

I think most of them are well aware that Europe and the Americas are 10 times as bad as here as Anutin predicted it would back in March 2020 after trying to hand out free masks to the Karens at the airport who claimed they didn't need them.

They see it on the news. Daily. They are not stupid.