News Forum - Biden reaffirms US would defend Taiwan against Chinese attack

Thaiger

I was surprised to hear President Biden's response to the question would we defend Taiwan. U.S. policy has been one of ambiguity on that question, neither saying yes or no. I think that the policy of ambiguity is better. Personally, I  would defend Taiwan. I have to wonder how successful an invasion would be and wonder, if it occurred, would it not wreck the Chinese economy. Surely if the U.S. did not respond militarily, it would end all economic activity with China followed by many of our allies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atiger said:

No. 88% of Americans are useless obese and a burden on society. They have their military deployed in 80 different countries. They lied to the world when the said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction so they could invade the country and killed 1.5 million people. Americans are evil, obese and need to be punished. Go China!

Well maybe China will go the same was as Saddam. How did that all work out for him and his insane sons. 😂😂. I’m not sure Xi would fit down the same fox hole as Saddam? 

• Like 2

Taiwan, like Hong Kong, wants to be separate to China and be in control of their own destiny. China's expansionism is bullish and they are making enemies of all the countries surrounding them. Japan once had the same aspiritation to dominate all of Asia and look what happened. This is all the work of the CCP. As for the ordinary Chinese citizen, they just want to have a roof over their head, a steady job, education for their children and a bright future...don't we all. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, larry_conley said:

I was surprised to hear President Biden's response to the question would we defend Taiwan. U.S. policy has been one of ambiguity on that question, neither saying yes or no. I think that the policy of ambiguity is better. Personally, I  would defend Taiwan. I have to wonder how successful an invasion would be and wonder, if it occurred, would it not wreck the Chinese economy. Surely if the U.S. did not respond militarily, it would end all economic activity with China followed by many of our allies.

Empty kettle makes the most noise. Where is the US when Chinese impose the National Security Law in Hong Kong before 2047? 

9 hours ago, Poolie said:

China takes 3000 budding chip engineers a year from Taiwan and educates them. That should keep someone happy.

And now the PRC is trying to take their lives if not their homeland. That should keep someone concerned.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Hi Poolie.

The US Army didn't actually get munched so to speak. The Taliban were always in the background but scored no military victories.

However the disaster is after his administration won the election the influence of the Taliban and its geographic spread gained momentum with each passing month. Why he and his team didn't listen to the CIA  months before truly defies logic. Part of the reason Trump wanted to pull out but delayed was because the Afghan military makes Dads Army look like Elite Special Ops.

Right now the situation with Taiwan is critical and negotiations must continue without the snarling.

I agree with you. Bombs won't do it. An intelligent level headed individual is needed to cool things off and avoid a conflict that will hurt all parties.

Unfortunately the current US President is an embarrassment. He maybe able to build bridges with President Xi but I'm not too optimistic. Biden's run so far is terrible. I just hope they can all come up with an agreement.

I am curious how such agreement should look like 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, atiger said:

No. 88% of Americans are useless obese and a burden on society. They have their military deployed in 80 different countries. They lied to the world when the said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction so they could invade the country and killed 1.5 million people. Americans are evil, obese and need to be punished. Go China!

Yes.

Many Chinese are a burden on the world. Everywhere they go disgust follows. Even their own Tourism, Culture and Foreign affairs Ministries has produced articles on how they must act overseas. 74 different rules from don't urinate in public, don't spit in public, don't jump cues, don't defecate in lifts etc etc.

Sure the US has done some bad things over the years but China is no angel. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, PfizerModernaJohnson said:

I am curious how such agreement should look like

A section 301investigation will work wonders shaping the agreement. One of the few things that Presidents Trump and Biden are consistent about are the phase1 (and phase2 if needed) trade agreements. Simply put China has dishonoured its agreement. The 200billion over 2 years is only words, just as they dishonoured their agreements with the Philippines and Vietnam.

This is now catching up with them. If they don't pay up the world will see the we can receive but not give out attitude. This may just silence the Chinese military.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

India offers the same. As for manufacturing other countries are now cheaper.

This is yet another factor that worries China with so many manufacturers pulling out. Besides not adhering to most of her promises China may well face alienation from many. India among others offer viable alternatives.

The hostilities against Taiwan to the point of China's military saying "bring it on" will leave many scarred but in particular itself. The PRC is running out of options quickly and I hope that China has enough wisdom to back down.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I think that Afghanistan is a lot different in the context that the war against the Taliban was a guerrilla war, and that these are the most difficult to win. The only certain way to win such wars is to pretty much annihilate the entire population. In a guerrilla war there are going to be many instances of collateral damage to innocent civilians which provokes outrage on both sides against the US at home and abroad.

I look at the two recent cases. Sri Lanka and Ulster. In the first, the gov in Colombo decided that they were not going to worry about world opinion and adopted a "final solution" approach by massacring thousands of Tamil men women and children. In Ulster, the IRA and it's offshoots, never numbered more than about 350 "active service" members, and yet fought the 12k British troops, the Police and numerous Protestant terrorists, many of whose activities were aided by the the army and police, to a standstill over 25 years. The difference between the two guerrilla wars, was that there was a significant Irish-American lobby, that led to some restraints on the conduct of the UK in that case.

I don't see that in the event of Chinese Military being killed while invading Taiwan, there will be too many shedding tears for the mainland forces.

Precisely. If China was in Afghanistan the losses would still be high and a similar result. The US should have pulled out after Bin Laden was dealt with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

And now the PRC is trying to take their lives if not their homeland. That should keep someone concerned.

Sorry, doesn't make sense. China educates 3000 chip engineers a year and is trying to kill them?

As I said discussion over.

14 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

America might be the big player in this but many other countries have already committed to defend Taiwan irrespective to American involvement. 

Exactly and a lot missing this point.

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Sorry, doesn't make sense. China educates 3000 chip engineers a year and is trying to kill them?

What a nonsense all the engineering fir the chios is by taiwanese engineers and til today the chinese engineers failed to produced them bythemself. Some really lost completly the ground of the reality and living in a fairy tale fantasia universe. They even have no knowledge where the chips comes from in a huawei phone or any pc produced in China. It seams some have a awareness of a little kid otherwise it is not understandable how an adult is writing fairy tales and expect adults would believe it or have no knowledge about nowadays productions. There are millions who are working in companies and to expect they are all stupid or the whole world is too stupid needs really an awareness of a little kid or to be a clown.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Poolie said:

WTF? If you think there will be no casualties from military conflict think again. If discussion is over for you then you have the option of not participating.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

WTF? If you think there will be no casualties from military conflict think again. If discussion is over for you then you have the option of not participating.  

It may have escaped your attention but there is no military conflict.

With that in mind I'm not participating. I live in the real world.

34 minutes ago, Poolie said:

It may have escaped your attention but there is no military conflict.

With that in mind I'm not participating. I live in the real world.

Then tell the Chinese generals to get their planes out of Taiwanese air space. The US and allies can then remove theirs. Problem solved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

15 hours ago, larry_conley said:

Agree ,to defend but I think if push came to shove ,sloppy Joe would push for diplomacy and  sanctions ! 
Military action is a last resort and it would be devastating politically for the dems who support him especially in the up incoming 2022 primary 

• Like 1

Just seen that Biden's administration or shall we say the real leaders of America have been back peddling on what old sleepy Joe said. They talk about his statement not being an announcement on American policy on Taiwan but don't go on to clearly state what that policy is. Seems the word of the President of the United states means nothing anymore, thank god the allies are still backing Taiwan.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Then tell the Chinese generals to get their planes out of Taiwanese air space. The US and allies can then remove theirs. Problem solved.

ADIZ is not the same as airspace. Part of the same space belongs to China. More western press evasion.

3 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Precisely. If China was in Afghanistan the losses would still be high and a similar result. The US should have pulled out after Bin Laden was dealt with.

But if it had been China in Afghanistan, I think they would have a lot fewer compunction about civilian casualties.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

ADIZ is not the same as airspace. Part of the same space belongs to China. More western press evasion.

I thought discussion was over? And the airspace is Taiwanese. More PRC propaganda.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

But if it had been China in Afghanistan, I think they would have a lot fewer compunction about civilian casualties.

Fewer as in ZERO I totally agree. There certainly wouldn't be any world press in there reporting on the atrocities being committed by the CCP.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Empty kettle makes the most noise. Where is the US when Chinese impose the National Security Law in Hong Kong before 2047? 

I understand your point based on principle. However, like all conflicts, countries only enter in to them if they have a vested interest. No such interest existed for Hong Kong. I regularly think similar things about the western powers. We invade Afghanistan and Iraq and claim it’s to liberate people from tyranny. Where were we in Rwanda, Angola or even Myanmar today? No vested interest and so nothing more than a few diplomatic comments. The world is a harsh place!  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Soidog said:

I understand your point based on principle. However, like all conflicts, countries only enter in to them if they have a vested interest. No such interest existed for Hong Kong. I regularly think similar things about the western powers. We invade Afghanistan and Iraq and claim it’s to liberate people from tyranny. Where were we in Rwanda, Angola or even Myanmar today? No vested interest and so nothing more than a few diplomatic comments. The world is a harsh place!  

Agree. it's ashamed after 20 years in afghanistan and to let it go its effort and lives loss during this time. 

• Like 1