News Forum - Biden reaffirms US would defend Taiwan against Chinese attack

Thaiger

10 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I think that Afghanistan is a lot different in the context that the war against the Taliban was a guerrilla war, and that these are the most difficult to win. The only certain way to win such wars is to pretty much annihilate the entire population. In a guerrilla war there are going to be many instances of collateral damage to innocent civilians which provokes outrage on both sides against the US at home and abroad.

I look at the two recent cases. Sri Lanka and Ulster. In the first, the gov in Colombo decided that they were not going to worry about world opinion and adopted a "final solution" approach by massacring thousands of Tamil men women and children. In Ulster, the IRA and it's offshoots, never numbered more than about 350 "active service" members, and yet fought the 12k British troops, the Police and numerous Protestant terrorists, many of whose activities were aided by the the army and police, to a standstill over 25 years. The difference between the two guerrilla wars, was that there was a significant Irish-American lobby, that led to some restraints on the conduct of the UK in that case.

I don't see that in the event of Chinese Military being killed while invading Taiwan, there will be too many shedding tears for the mainland forces.

Hi John

An invasion of Taiwan will be truly messy. My concern is neither will back down and the whole region suffers.

Mao Tse Tung publicly announced that although Formosa is Chinese territory and he is sad to see it break away, conflict should be avoided and Taiwan be allowed its independence.

Taiwan is a functioning democracy with its own government, currency and identity. I visited twice and liked the place. China will fight for land but Taiwan will fight for its life. With the amount of international naval firepower in place I hope China can see the wisdom in understanding most most of the worlds nations would support her if attacked.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Hi John

An invasion of Taiwan will be truly messy. My concern is neither will back down and the whole region suffers.

Mao Tse Tung publicly announced that although Formosa is Chinese territory and he is sad to see it break away, conflict should be avoided and Taiwan be allowed its independence.

Taiwan is a functioning democracy with its own government, currency and identity. I visited twice and liked the place. China will fight for land but Taiwan will fight for its life. With the amount of international naval firepower in place I hope China can see the wisdom in understanding most most of the worlds nations would support her if attacked.

Taiwan is 110 miles from China. Comfortably close enough to remove it from the face of the earth without moving much. 

However China wont do that. They'll just wait until they acquiesce. Which they will eventually. They always do.

Mao Tse Tung died in 1976.

8 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Hi John

I have this impression of the current leadership of China, that though they know the truth, they cannot accept anything that shows they were wrong in the past.

A case in point being that they still refer to themselves as Communists. To change the name, would be an admission of failure regarding the days when they were such. In spite of what Mao said about the then Formosa, I suspect that the idea of taking back Taiwan under "Communist" control is more about the insult the current party has felt about justifying that these "renegades" were wrong to opt out of the "joys and delights" of living under that system.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Poolie said:

A family of 12 was killed by an American drone because of a withdrawal?

I dont think so. I think they guessed which vehicle was involved

Probably. But war is messy. The Americans didn’t just drop a bomb on a bunch of people. They dropped a bomb on the enemy and some innocent people who were near to these cowards who hide among civilians were caught up in it. Nice of them to do that to their own people. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Taiwan is 110 miles from China. Comfortably close enough to remove it from the face of the earth without moving much. 

However China wont do that. They'll just wait until they acquiesce. Which they will eventually. They always do.

Poolie. If they always acquiesced then why are they standing up to military threats now? I still believe as most that just because Taiwan's political stance is different they have a right to independence that they chose for themselves.

Its this "you must surrender or be annihilated" outlook that is scaring people.

For a nation that was herself attacked and had provinces colonized as well as being horribly hammered by Japan it has every right to feel bitter about suffering in history.

But how can it support its annexation of an Island it never cared about before but is willing to demolish now that it is a functioning developing independent territory?

Why not China consider turning from Communism? I don't see Russia or Eastern Europe complaining too loud.   

• Like 1

I hope they won’t invade and start a military campaign. Normally I would agree that the Chinese will play the waiting game. They didn’t do that in HK under Xi, and I’m concerned they may not wait for Taiwan either. 

• Like 1

Sad views of a CCP indoctrinated individual with no true thoughts of their own.

22 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Poolie. If they always acquiesced then why are they standing up to military threats now? I still believe as most that just because Taiwan's political stance is different they have a right to independence that they chose for themselves.

Its this "you must surrender or be annihilated" outlook that is scaring people.

For a nation that was herself attacked and had provinces colonized as well as being horribly hammered by Japan it has every right to feel bitter about suffering in history.

But how can it support its annexation of an Island it never cared about before but is willing to demolish now that it is a functioning developing independent territory?

Why not China consider turning from Communism? I don't see Russia or Eastern Europe complaining too loud.   

Dreaming. Discussion over.

If China turns the economic tap off, Taiwan will starve.

Invading Taiwan is no small matter. Getting a foothold on the island is a very risky proposition given China's poor equipment and army/navy training.

Yes they can throw a human wave at it and it sort of worked in Korea but the fact is China's military is vastly inferior to Western powers. They lost hundreds of thousands of troops there just to get a draw.

Given that Taiwan is equipped with Western kit and will be hugely motivated to defend their island I suspect landing will be a real issue for China.

That and the fact within 24 hours the west (and I include Japan and South Korea in that) will also be throwing their forces in means China will most likely fail. 

Atiger

It works both ways.

You call America war mongers (although this has truth) but then say China should strike first.

Are you pro or anti war?

If Hawaii wanted its independence and voted for it then so be it. But would not Tibet and Inner Mongolia have the same rights.

Are you pro or anti freedom?

Oh. By the way nice tits.

• Like 2

Were missing the big picture here Gents is it a case of Biden standing up for Taiwan or The Biden administration doing a large arms deal with Taiwan?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Worry about your own economy. And coal supply.

The west can put you back into the dark ages in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, atiger said:

Biden wants to defend Taiwan ( which is part of China ), from invasion by its own country because China is Americas biggest economic competitor and they want to use Taiwan independence to turn as many countries against China as possible.

Time to take out Biden.

China should strike first.

America are war mongers.

Imagine if Hawaii wanted to be independent and America invaded  to take the country back.

What do the people of Taiwan want? If they held a vote tomorrow how would they vote. Don’t the wishes of he people of Taiwan matter then. The country has been operating as an independent country for 70 years. I’m sure if the people of Hawaii really wanted to be independent then they could be. 

• Like 2

Sorry Poolie but if not for the West China would not have modernized.

• Like 2

I know you rent the keyboard by the minute @Poolie, but for the short time you can use it, please contribute something serious. Taiwan will starve 😂😂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, atiger said:

Biden wants to defend Taiwan ( which is part of China ), from invasion by its own country because China is Americas biggest economic competitor and they want to use Taiwan independence to turn as many countries against China as possible.

Time to take out Biden.

China should strike first.

America are war mongers.

Imagine if Hawaii wanted to be independent and America invaded  to take the country back.

Atiger

It works both ways.

You call America war mongers (although this has truth) but then say China should strike first.

Are you pro or anti war?

If Hawaii wanted its independence and voted for it then so be it. But would not Tibet and Inner Mongolia have the same rights.

Are you pro or anti freedom?

Oh. By the way nice tits.

3 minutes ago, 23RD said:

Were missing the big picture here Gents is it a case of Biden standing up for Taiwan or The Biden administration doing a large arms deal with Taiwan?

Probably both. When has any western democracy defended anyone unless it was in their interest to do so? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 23RD said:

I'd say both.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 23RD said:

If Trump was doing the same deal what would you be saying then?

9 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Sorry Poolie but if not for the West China would not have modernized.

And if China hadn't had the huge market and cheap wages the west wouldn't be interested.

Much of Biden’s problems was of his on doing !

Biden admin showed Americas allies his weakness in dealing with intelligence and military strategies just recently. And when confronted with sharp questions , he walks away. Some in allied  countries  see  him as feeble minded imop! If best they condemned his handling of his last foreign policy  actions

And his trusting the CCP leader to do the right thing by adhering to a past agreement on Taiwan is another phenomenon akin to his trusting the Taliban to do the right thing  

His  admin  was threatened  6 months ago by the CCP but did nothing in response !  6 months and nothing until now! God help us ! 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Poolie said:

And if China hadn't had the huge market and cheap wages the west wouldn't be interested.

India offers the same. As for manufacturing other countries are now cheaper.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yes! This is true. They did a good job modernizing. Even with infringing copyright and steeling technology but China is a strong nation. 

Apart from some disputing I really don't want to see hostilities. I honestly hope there can be a resolution. Part of my concern is people would want to see China demolished but this in itself must be avoided at all cost.

They have suffered over the years and have 1.4 billions souls to feed and accommodate. I honestly think the only way of avoiding conflict is a mutual stand down. BOTH must listen and make allowances.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Correct. What’s your point?  Countries only get involved in conflict if they are protecting their own interests. 

13 minutes ago, riclag said:

Much of Biden’s problems was of his on doing !

Biden admin showed Americas allies his weakness in dealing with intelligence and military strategies just recently. And when confronted with sharp questions , he walks away. Some in allied  countries  see  him as feeble minded imop! If best they condemned his handling of his last foreign policy  actions

And his trusting the CCP leader to do the right thing by adhering to a past agreement on Taiwan is another phenomenon akin to his trusting the Taliban to do the right thing  

His  admin  was threatened  6 months ago by the CCP but did nothing in response !  6 months and nothing until now! God help us ! 

I have to agree Biden is weak. In many ways it’s an abuse of the elderly keeping Biden in post. It’s not the guys fault, but he is clearly suffering with some form of illness. Is this really the best America can offer up as leaders? Scary when you look at the last two Presidents. No wonder China are flexing.  

• Like 5