News Forum - Biden reaffirms US would defend Taiwan against Chinese attack

Thaiger

18 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

If Trump was doing the same deal what would you be saying then?

Who cares!!! This about avoiding conflict. Neither Trump nor Obama were soft on China but hostilities are peaking now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, riclag said:

Much of Biden’s problems was of his on doing !

Biden admin showed Americas allies his weakness in dealing with intelligence and military strategies just recently. And when confronted with sharp questions , he walks away. Some in allied  countries  see  him as feeble minded imop! If best they condemned his handling of his last foreign policy  actions

And his trusting the CCP leader to do the right thing by adhering to a past agreement on Taiwan is another phenomenon akin to his trusting the Taliban to do the right thing  

His  admin  was threatened  6 months ago by the CCP but did nothing in response !  6 months and nothing until now! God help us ! 

If Biden says he will defend Taiwan you have a problem with it.

If Biden says he will not defend Taiwan you have a problem with it.

We get it. You are a fully paid up member of the Trump cult.

But it gets really tiresome listening to you guys want your cake and eat it approach.

Is Biden right to protect Taiwan or wrong? Thats all I want to know.

Is he right or wrong to protect Taiwan? Your reply needs one word. Right or wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Who cares!!! This about avoiding conflict. Neither Trump nor Obama were soft on China but hostilities are peaking now.

Agreed. This needs level heads not hot heads. Everyone needs to take a step back. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

It was always going to go this way regardless of who is in charge of the US or China. What you have is two global powers fighting over who is in charge of the worlds economy.

It is a sad fact my friend but this confrontation is going to happen.

44 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Invading Taiwan is no small matter. Getting a foothold on the island is a very risky proposition given China's poor equipment and army/navy training.

Yes they can throw a human wave at it and it sort of worked in Korea but the fact is China's military is vastly inferior to Western powers. They lost hundreds of thousands of troops there just to get a draw.

Given that Taiwan is equipped with Western kit and will be hugely motivated to defend their island I suspect landing will be a real issue for China.

That and the fact within 24 hours the west (and I include Japan and South Korea in that) will also be throwing their forces in means China will most likely fail. 

It'll be very messy. Neither should underestimate the other. China with hypersonic missiles and a large army is no pushover but a combined allied naval force packs a strong punch.

This is a time for negotiation though.

During the cold war with all the grizzle and snarl neither the US nor the Soviets really wanted a war.

• Like 1

America might be the big player in this but many other countries have already committed to defend Taiwan irrespective to American involvement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

It was always going to go this way regardless of who is in charge of the US or China. What you have is two global powers fighting over who is in charge of the worlds economy.

Unfortunately you spoke some truthful and wise words that sum up this pig f++k. Two global powers are fighting for supremacy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

If Trump was doing the same deal what would you be saying then?

I'd be saying good on you Big Don but the difference China wouldn't dare look sideways at Taiwan when Donald J Trump was in The Whitehouse.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I sincerely hope you are wrong when you say it will happen. For many years the Wear and the Soviet Union squared up but never fought directly. Proxy wars were fought in places like Vietnam and Korea and even spats like Cuba. I do hope both sides don’t consider this to be an opportunity for a proxy war. Taiwan is a very different prospect to the cold war era. I suspect this is about testing resolve and see how soft the stance is. Biden is right to make a firm commitment to Taiwan. I would however like to see regional powers such as Japan and South Korea make similar statements. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

It'll be very messy. Neither should underestimate the other. China with hypersonic missiles and a large army is no pushover but a combined allied naval force packs a strong punch.

During the cold war with all the grizzle and snarl neither the US nor the Soviets really wanted a war.

Hypersonic missiles are line of sight. The missile simply cannot turn.

This "fear" of hypersonic missiles is a scare story. If they were effective the US would have had them 30,40 or even 50 years ago.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 23RD said:

I'd be saying good on you Big Don but the difference China wouldn't dare look sideways at Taiwan when Donald J Trump was in The Whitehouse.

I think that is true. That’s why I think this is about testing resolve. Many conflicts break out when one side tests the other and the response is weak. Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait came about because Saddam thought the US wasn’t too fussed if they invaded. That proved a mistake. Thankfully that was contained to those two countries. A war between two super powers like the US and China would impact all of us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I sincerely hope you are wrong when you say it will happen. For many years the Wear and the Soviet Union squared up but never fought directly. Proxy wars were fought in places like Vietnam and Korea and even spats like Cuba. I do hope both sides don’t consider this to be an opportunity for a proxy war. Taiwan is a very different prospect to the cold war era. I suspect this is about testing resolve and see how soft the stance is. Biden is right to make a firm commitment to Taiwan. I would however like to see regional powers such as Japan and South Korea make similar statements. 

Japan has already stated they will fight to protect Taiwan if invaded not sure on South Korea as they have their own crackpot living next door..

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

I think that is true. That’s why I think this is about testing resolve. Many conflicts break out when one side tests the other and the response is weak. Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait came about because Saddam thought the US wasn’t too fussed if they invaded. That proved a mistake. Thankfully that was contained to those two countries. A war between to super powers like the US and China would impact all of us. 

Very true Soidog Bud strong Countries need strong leadership I don't think it would ever come to a conflict with the US & China (to much behind the scenes diplomacy) but China will wait it out until the time is right look at Afghanistan they slid right in there with zero expense and no shots fired to exploit the natural resources. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 23RD said:

Very true Soidog Bud strong Countries need strong leadership I don't think it would ever come to a conflict with the US & China (to much behind the scenes diplomacy) but China will wait it out until the time is right look at Afghanistan they slid right in there with zero expense and no shots fired to exploit the natural resources. 

Yes I agree. China have always played the long game. It’s what you can do when you have a totalitarian government with a leader for life. You can develop and stick to 25-50 year strategies. A weakness of western democracies is that they are all short term tactical fixes. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Hah! John and I were just discussing the same thing in the Collapse of China thread. We do have a habit of agreeing often Soidog.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

India offers the same. As for manufacturing other countries are now cheaper.

In reality only is it now that other places are cheaper. India previously had it's chance but failed to take on the opportunity that China did. In addition the alternative countries to China other than India are incapable of equivalent industrial scale due to deficiency in energy resources.

IMHO any major military engagement over Taiwan will eventuate it it's obliteration by reason of opposing positions of political defense and defiance way in advance of genuine humanitarian concern on either side. Once any conflict is militarily initiated it is doubtful that it will remain isolated or brief.

13 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Taiwan will not be a proxy war for the simple reason that the two most advanced silicone chip manufacturers on the planet are located there.

The west simply cannot allow those to be in the hands of China.

Ergo it becomes a war of existence. 

The USSR (as it was at the time) knew their war machine was not capable of taking on the west and would only have tried to do so under extreme circumstances like it could no longer feed itself.

Hence why the US carried on selling wheat to the USSR at a vastly reduced cost in order to prevent it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Hypersonic missiles are line of sight. The missile simply cannot turn.

This "fear" of hypersonic missiles is a scare story. If they were effective the US would have had them 30,40 or even 50 years ago.

Agreed but enough could cause some damage. With the way things are shaping  up I'd ban fire crackers and pop guns to stop the hostilities.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Taiwan will not be a proxy war for the simple reason that the two most advanced silicone chip manufacturers on the planet are located there.

The west simply cannot allow those to be in the hands of China.

Ergo it becomes a war of existence. 

The USSR (as it was at the time) knew their war machine was not capable of taking on the west and would only have tried to do so under extreme circumstances like it could no longer feed itself.

Hence why the US carried on selling wheat to the USSR at a vastly reduced cost in order to prevent it.

Sound!! Solid!!! Keep em fat and fed. Happy days mate!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Let them go each other if they want to.

The world is overpopulated anyway. Thailand will stay out of it, I'll be right.

23 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Sound!! Solid!!! Keep em fat and fed. Happy days mate!

China takes 3000 budding chip engineers a year from Taiwan and educates them. That should keep someone happy.

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

The US didn’t get “munched” they simply chose to leave after the local army couldn’t get their act together to take over security. He was sick and tired of US tax payers making up for their cowardice, corruption and stupidity. The US will also be fighting an army airforce and navy if they get in to conflict with China, unlike the insurgence in Afghanistan. The Russians had the same issue in the 1980’s and many other nations over history. 

We should all be concerned about this situation. Such a conflict wouldn’t remain confined to Taiwan. 

China not has a battled proofed Army and technical they are 50 years behind western countries. There is no chinese tech all is transfered or produced from western countries. No aircraft or anything else. They even have no own gps and their space navigation is over european companies. To understand it better just look at a chinese aircraft carrier or why they cannot build own aircrafts. It is simple because all the tech they need for it comes from abroad. But some brainwashed posters have an awareness of childrens and are not able to understand the reality of things or why China is listed as a development country and not on the list of developped countries.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stardust said:

China not has a battled proofed Army and technical they are 50 years behind western countries. There is no chinese tech all is transfered or produced from western countries. No aircraft or anything else. They even have no own gps and their space navigation is over european companies. To understand it better just look at a chinese aircraft carrier or why they cannot build own aircrafts. It is simple because all the tech they need for it comes from abroad. But some brainwashed posters have an awareness of childrens and are not able to understand the reality of things or why China is listed as a development country and not on the list of developped countries.

To understand why they failed to produce aircrafts

• Like 1

China needs to be put back in their place. One big mistake was and is allowing them to build artificial islands that they made into military hubs. They are bullies and if not stopped will keep on taking what is not theirs. Taiwan is their own entity and clearly does not want to be owned by the CCP devil.
Not a fan of Biden but I do agree the USA needs to formally recognize Taiwan as their own country and put the USA navy there if Taiwan would allow it. 

The world needs to unite and pull their reliance of China out and to a stop, but that will not fully ever happen. Time to push back and shut the CCP up. And we must also thank them fir the virus. Mighty kind of them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

China needs to be put back in their place. One big mistake was and is allowing them to build artificial islands that they made into military hubs. They are bullies and if not stopped will keep on taking what is not theirs. Taiwan is their own entity and clearly does not want to be owned by the CCP devil.
Not a fan of Biden but I do agree the USA needs to formally recognize Taiwan as their own country and put the USA navy there if Taiwan would allow it. 

The world needs to unite and pull their reliance of China out and to a stop, but that will not fully ever happen. Time to push back and shut the CCP up. And we must also thank them fir the virus. Mighty kind of them. 

Exactly, fully agree

• Like 4