News Forum - Biden reaffirms US would defend Taiwan against Chinese attack

Thaiger

US President Joe Biden said that the US would defend Taiwan in the case of a Chinese attack. He was asked about this hypothetical situation yesterday during a CNN town hall. His response is a departure from the typical US stance on the Taiwan issue, but follows the trend of increasingly firm policy approaches towards China. China considers Taiwan to be Chinese territory, and has often repeated that they wish to see the island reunited and governed by the mainland. They have also made it clear that they are prepared to use force to achieve their goal. Taiwan has responded […]

The story Biden reaffirms US would defend Taiwan against Chinese attack as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I really wonder how he intends to do that? Bearing in mind his army got munched by the goat herders with ten year old rifles, how will they stack up against a well trained outfit with the latest kit?

Interesting. Bombs wont do it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Poolie said:

I really wonder how he intends to do that? Bearing in mind his army got munched by the goat herders with ten year old rifles, how will they stack up against a well trained outfit with the latest kit?

The US didn’t get “munched” they simply chose to leave after the local army couldn’t get their act together to take over security. He was sick and tired of US tax payers making up for their cowardice, corruption and stupidity. The US will also be fighting an army airforce and navy if they get in to conflict with China, unlike the insurgence in Afghanistan. The Russians had the same issue in the 1980’s and many other nations over history. 

We should all be concerned about this situation. Such a conflict wouldn’t remain confined to Taiwan. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Hi Poolie.

The US Army didn't actually get munched so to speak. The Taliban were always in the background but scored no military victories.

However the disaster is after his administration won the election the influence of the Taliban and its geographic spread gained momentum with each passing month. Why he and his team didn't listen to the CIA  months before truly defies logic. Part of the reason Trump wanted to pull out but delayed was because the Afghan military makes Dads Army look like Elite Special Ops.

Right now the situation with Taiwan is critical and negotiations must continue without the snarling.

I agree with you. Bombs won't do it. An intelligent level headed individual is needed to cool things off and avoid a conflict that will hurt all parties.

Unfortunately the current US President is an embarrassment. He maybe able to build bridges with President Xi but I'm not too optimistic. Biden's run so far is terrible. I just hope they can all come up with an agreement.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The US didn’t get “munched” they simply chose to leave after the local army couldn’t get their act together to take over security. He was sick and tired of US tax payers making up for their cowardice, corruption and stupidity. The US will also be fighting an army airforce and navy if they get in to conflict with China, unlike the insurgence in Afghanistan. The Russians had the same issue in the 1980’s and many other nations over history. 

We should all be concerned about this situation. Such a conflict wouldn’t remain confined to Taiwan. 

Hi Soidog

Looks like we typed at the same time. In agreement with your statement. But feel genuinely concerned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billywillyjones said:

Yeah just like he took care of things in Afghanistan.  Joe is a paper tiger or a puppet take your pick.

Puppet with a few strings broken.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Hi Poolie.

The US Army didn't actually get munched so to speak. The Taliban were always in the background but scored no military victories.

However the disaster is after his administration won the election the influence of the Taliban and its geographic spread gained momentum with each passing month. Why he and his team didn't listen to the CIA  months before truly defies logic. Part of the reason Trump wanted to pull out but delayed was because the Afghan military makes Dads Army look like Elite Special Ops.

Right now the situation with Taiwan is critical and negotiations must continue without the snarling.

I agree with you. Bombs won't do it. An intelligent level headed individual is needed to cool things off and avoid a conflict that will hurt all parties.

Unfortunately the current US President is an embarrassment. He maybe able to build bridges with President Xi but I'm not too optimistic. Biden's run so far is terrible. I just hope they can all come up with an agreement.

2400 or more did.

Perhaps he doesnt listen to his intelligence because they guess too much? i.e. The family he eviscerated in the aftermath?

The war mongering nation just can't help themselves. Korean, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq again. And now provoking China which are historically one of the most peaceful countries on earth.

Millions of women and children slaughtered, villages razed, women raped. 

Someone needs to tell old Joe to shut his mouth and worry about fixing his own country first.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Poolie said:

2400 or more did.

Perhaps he doesnt listen to his intelligence because they guess too much? i.e. The family he eviscerated in the aftermath?

Actually the intel was good and the CIA pulled out 3 months earlier and strongly suggested to get US citizens out as well as others and military hardware. Agreed the intel has often been wrong but this was a poorly handled withdraw. 

Previous intel said that the Afghan militia could protect its citizens from the Taliban was BB's though. But that's even more reason to be careful.

With regard to casualties over 20 years both sides lost thousands but there was only a very small portion of Afghanistan held by the Taliban. Only recently did they make the moves to take over. But it's a mess as a militant bunch of goat herders now has US weapons in possession. Even Russia and China are concerned about this blunder.

Getting back to Taiwan I'm still very concerned. Neither China nor Taiwan are backing down and those in the cross fire will get hit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

The war mongering nation just can't help themselves. Korean, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq again. And now provoking China which are historically one of the most peaceful countries on earth.

Millions of women and children slaughtered, villages razed, women raped. 

Someone needs to tell old Joe to shut his mouth and worry about fixing his own country first.

I don't know if he'll be capable enough.

It needs to happen soon because at the moment there's a purge of the US Military Officer Corps going on under the current administration namely Lloyd Austin.

A purge similar to Stalin's purge of the Red Army in the 30's where Patriots are being replaced by activists. 

I don't really rate the PLA (when was the last time it was tested)

But morale in the US Military is at the moment at an all time low over the past 10 months and it's going to get worse due to retention and recruitment issues in the near future. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 23RD said:

It needs to happen soon because at the moment there's a purge of the US Military Officer Corps going on under the current administration namely Lloyd Austin.

A purge similar to Stalin's purge of the Red Army in the 30's where Patriots are being replaced by activists. 

I don't really rate the PLA (when was the last time it was tested)

But morale in the US Military is at the moment at an all time low over the past 10 months and it's going to get worse due to retention and recruitment issues in the near future. 

With Biden in power I'm not holding my breathe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

With Biden in power I'm not holding my breathe.

To true Buddy that standown re-education exercise by Lloyd Austen earlier this year destroyed morale and unity in the US Military.

Which is sad to see as they've some really good Operators and People.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Poolie said:

A family of 12 was killed by an American drone because of a withdrawal?

I dont think so. I think they guessed which vehicle was involved

Hundreds of people are persecuted and killed under Chinese rule on a daily basis, not to mention the 4.5 million and rising they are responsible for with covid. So why not just let them run rough shod over another 23.5 million people that want nothing but their freedom from the CCP...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Poolie said:

A family of 12 was killed by an American drone because of a withdrawal?

I dont think so. I think they guessed which vehicle was involved

If it was an organized withdraw with intel still in place it may not have happened. The 12 innocents was just part of the cluster f++k.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Hi Soidog

Looks like we typed at the same time. In agreement with your statement. But feel genuinely concerned.

Yes seems so 👍🏻  Extremely serious situation developing and these things just need one mistake by a whole chain of people and we could suffer in a way that would make Covid look like a scratch on the knee. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 23RD said:

To true Buddy that standown re-education exercise by Lloyd Austen earlier this year destroyed morale and unity in the US Military.

Which is sad to see as they've some really good Operators and People.

What more can I say...Lets go Brandon.

PS: My last reply got placed in a separate box.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes seems so 👍🏻  Extremely serious situation developing and these things just need one mistake by a whole chain of people and we could suffer in a way that would make Covid look like a scratch on the knee. 

Unfortunately I have to agree.

PS: My last reply got placed in a separate box

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

I think that Afghanistan is a lot different in the context that the war against the Taliban was a guerrilla war, and that these are the most difficult to win. The only certain way to win such wars is to pretty much annihilate the entire population. In a guerrilla war there are going to be many instances of collateral damage to innocent civilians which provokes outrage on both sides against the US at home and abroad.

I look at the two recent cases. Sri Lanka and Ulster. In the first, the gov in Colombo decided that they were not going to worry about world opinion and adopted a "final solution" approach by massacring thousands of Tamil men women and children. In Ulster, the IRA and it's offshoots, never numbered more than about 350 "active service" members, and yet fought the 12k British troops, the Police and numerous Protestant terrorists, many of whose activities were aided by the the army and police, to a standstill over 25 years. The difference between the two guerrilla wars, was that there was a significant Irish-American lobby, that led to some restraints on the conduct of the UK in that case.

I don't see that in the event of Chinese Military being killed while invading Taiwan, there will be too many shedding tears for the mainland forces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Actually the intel was good and the CIA pulled out 3 months earlier and strongly suggested to get US citizens out as well as others and military hardware. Agreed the intel has often been wrong but this was a poorly handled withdraw. 

Previous intel said that the Afghan militia could protect its citizens from the Taliban was BB's though. But that's even more reason to be careful.

With regard to casualties over 20 years both sides lost thousands but there was only a very small portion of Afghanistan held by the Taliban. Only recently did they make the moves to take over. But it's a mess as a militant bunch of goat herders now has US weapons in possession. Even Russia and China are concerned about this blunder.

Getting back to Taiwan I'm still very concerned. Neither China nor Taiwan are backing down and those in the cross fire will get hit.

I'd be inclined to think that much of Biden's problems stem from Trump's agreement with the Taliban, in that he didn't make too many demands of them, and was prepared to take their word for it. 

I don't say that the US should not have pulled out, and I agree with the poster who said that much of the problem was down to Afghani military cowardice. But were Militant Islamists ever going to stop being Militant Islamists? Will the country no longer be a safe haven for Islamic Terrorism?

"Mission accomplished" should have been when they nailed Bin Laden. IMO, they should have announced a time table for withdrawal at that time. They could and should have said, "We will spend a year training and equipping you, but it's up to you to decide whether you are going to let the Taliban return to power".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1