News Forum - Thailand’s focus on wealthy tourists won’t benefit small business

Thaiger

Businesses that aim to have sustainable profits, have product offerings aimed at all segments of the market. From the budget to the premium end. It's essentially spreading the risk.  

2 hours ago, Swissguy said:

Please change the goverment in the next election, they are only interested in rich people, so the corruption can works efective, whats happen with the normal thai people, they suffer alot more and more. 

I agree that the government is overdue for a change, but I didn't believe ordinary Thais are affected by whether low end tourists and backpackers are let in or discouraged. 

Thailand needs visitors who bring needed cash not those trying to live off the land via making you tube videos or selling pictures, etc. Tourism should be profitable but not sleazy.  

I'd vote for keeping the Thailand on <$5 / day crowd in neighboring countries.

That what i mean where you have a beautifull place in thailand where the not make a mess not finish something half clear clean beach and water maybe inside a resort but as soon you stap out there is garbage every where but its probebly a toerist that make the mess now there are not that many toerist but there is more garbage thats not what the rich want to see be happy with the one that come your country is not that nice

Most replies are amusing. As if all the market stalls and small businesses that closed in the last few years are going to come back with proper investment, business plans, Michelin star chefs and English speaking waiters in tuxedo to cater for the rich 🤭

Thailand is not in any position to make demands and should be thankful for anyone jumping through impossible hoops to come here.

Later, when they're in a position of luxury again (maybe) they might try and cherry pick. And only if meanwhile they use some of the income to improve services. But certainly not now.

(But by all means try, it will just keep it quieter and safer for the ones already here)

• Like 7
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Those in high tourist areas  have been milking the system for years often charging 3+× the regular amount.  The bar people and jet ski operators are mafia types. They aren't ordinary Thais.  Likewise backpackers bring so little that they don't help working Thais 

My thoughts.

You obviously go to the wrong places.

Backpackers eat, drink, travel and stay in establishments run by working Thais'. 

Next level up populate the 2,3,4 star hotels, rent transportation and general benefit working Thais.

Then there are the farang residents who contribute heavily to the local areas they live in.

The rich contribute very little to working Thais'

My thoughts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Unfortunately this is true of many. Bars and jet ski scammers are mafias. Noted and appreciated.

Honest observations. Imagine how many once nice beaches could be that way again without peddlers harassing folk to buy garbage items they don't need. As well as the bar folk and jet ski scammers.

We all know who supports these kind of establishments and locations.

2 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

I've got an allotment in Wales and a lock up garage just over the border in England .. do I qualify .?

You have property in 2 countries, that makes you rich and you qualify.

• Cool 1

5 minutes ago, Disenfranchised said:

Backpackers eat, drink, travel and stay in establishments run by working Thais'. 

Next level up populate the 2,3,4 star hotels, rent transportation and general benefit working Thais.

Then there are the farang residents who contribute heavily to the local areas they live in.

My thoughts.

Far less than you obviously think.

37 minutes ago, Disenfranchised said:

We all know who supports these kind of establishments and locations.

Both patronage and administration.

54 minutes ago, Disenfranchised said:

My thoughts.

I really doubt it. Backpackers/world travelers take pride in getting by on next to nothing. Poor Thais often offer them food etc. This is nothing except taking advance of others. Sorry to say this but a European nephew of my wife was very proud he spent two years in South America on nothing and not seaming to work.  He said that was his world education.  I not saying all young people have to be rich but they definitely need to contribute and pay 100%  of their way.

I don't look up at these types as they are using others. 

5 hours ago, Prosaap said:

I think the rich go to nice places look around look at the beach (pattaya) and the water after every big rain you swim in shit everything is broken or fixt half if i was rich i go somewhere nice like maladive or canary islands i think they need a lot of fixing before the rich come here 

Exactly and high end world class is only possible in small areas/countries like Singapore, Monacco. This is not possible for the whole country and sizes like Thailand it can only be mixed in all ranges like you see in Spain, Italy, Europe. And to developp a world class destination needs decades, the infrastructure was build a decade itvdoesnt fall from the sky. And do the they think all hotels, restaurants and streetvendors are next 5 star restaurants and hotels. It shows that they are clowns, not able to think and have no glue about anything.

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

I really doubt it. Backpackers/world travelers take pride in getting by on next to nothing. Poor Thais often offer them food etc. This is nothing except taking advance of others. Sorry to say this but a European nephew of my wife was very proud he spent two years in South America on nothing and not seaming to work.  He said that was his world education.  I not saying all young people have to be rich but they definitely need to contribute and pay 100%  of their way.

I don't look up at these types as they are using others. 

This shows you never were in Australia, Bali, Europe otherwise you would know it and didn't have to doubt it. By the way believing is different then knowing! 

4 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Most replies are amusing. As if all the market stalls and small businesses that closed in the last few years are going to come back with proper investment, business plans, Michelin star chefs and English speaking waiters in tuxedo to cater for the rich 🤭

Thailand is not in any position to make demands and should be thankful for anyone jumping through impossible hoops to come here.

Later, when they're in a position of luxury again (maybe) they might try and cherry pick. And only if meanwhile they use some of the income to improve services. But certainly not now.

(But by all means try, it will just keep it quieter and safer for the ones already here)

Exactly they really think a infrastructure for high end comes by a wish. Their awareness is the same like from little kids. It is incredible sombody have to explain adults simple things of the reality of the world. They are not able to understand that Singapore needed a decade to build up such infrastructure, costs a lot of money and needed high skilled people the opposite who are in charge in Thailand. 

Interesting this article was published in the Straits Times, and not a a Thai newspaper or website. The PooYais like this High Quality Tourist fantasy, and not going to hear low class complaints.

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Poor Thais often offer them food etc.

You're dreaming mate, of hippies, fifty five years gone. They went extinct by the end of the 70's. There are cheapsters sure, but for every one, there is another carrying a monster Nikon plus lenses, laptop, I phone, and a wallet full a credit & ATM cards. Leaving them aside, Low quality also means the non hipster working stiffs pumping money into Pattaya, literally. In PooYais eyes they are same same but different. Just like the Indo minister who doesn't want backpackers,  but really means, the Bali Bogan Brigade, dumped on his shores via vomit comet. 

If they continue on this path, they are alienating small GH and hotel owners. I used to stay with a family who runs a Guest House, has for two decades now.  She owns three or four houses, drives an Audi. Now she is told, we do not want your customers in our country. Maybe you can find another livelihood.

BTW maids' will be wanted these in these exclusive PooYai resorts.  

Edited by Mudshark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

This shows you never were in Australia, Bali, Europe otherwise you would know it and didn't have to doubt it. By the way believing is different then knowing! 

25 minutes ago, Mudshark said:

Interesting this article was published in the Straits Times, and not a a Thai newspaper or website. The PooYais like this High Quality Tourist fantasy, and not going to hear low class complaints.

You're dreaming mate, of hippies, fifty five years gone. They went extinct by the end of the 70's. There are cheapsters sure, but for every one, there is another carrying a monster Nikon plus lenses, laptop, I phone, and a wallet full a credit & ATM cards. Leaving them aside, Low quality also means the non hipster working stiffs pumping money into Pattaya, literally. In PooYais eyes they are same same but different. Just like the Indo minister who doesn't want backpackers,  but really means, the Bali Bogan Brigade, dumped on his shores via vomit comet. 

If they continue on this path, they are alienating small GH and hotel owners. I used to stay with a family who runs a Guest House, has for two decades now.  She owns three or four houses, drives an Audi. Now she is told, we do not want your customers in our country. Maybe you can find another livelihood.

I have no idea what your point is. For me everyone needs to take personal responsibility and not rely on the charity of others. Double so if traveling from home.

7 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I have no idea what your point is. For me everyone needs to take personal responsibility and not rely on the charity of others. Double so if traveling from home.

Beautiful thought and love the belief in personal responsibility.

However, do you have a point?  We are talking about the economic consequences  if the high quality tourist concept actually gets rammed through.

Cheers

Edited by Mudshark

10 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

My point is awareness from the reality of the world. In this case the spreading of midrange lower and upper is the most common in big countries around the world. By the way I never see guesthouses or hostels with a sign rooms and food for free. I think a adult should be able to think and understand some simple things and some simple things about infrastructures and businesses.

30 minutes ago, Mudshark said:

I think they should be willing to pay their way and not be a burden on society. One that gets by and travels miminally, really is only interested in contribution the least amount possible. I fail to see why they make a positive difference. 

Although staying cheap is ok for some. If I have to travel and sleep cheap, I’d rather stay home.

These guys have no idea how insulting and demeaning this kind of biased program is. To tell us that we're less than a "quality" human being because we don't have a pocket full of money is classist bigotry. From the 2 tiered pricing system that's just been okay'd by the courts to this personal insult (yes, I'm taking this personally,) I'm done here. I hear Vietnam is a pretty good place to be these days. Enough of this.

Edited by Alex
Spelling

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

These guys have no idea how insulting and demeaning this kind of biased program is. To tell us that we're less than a "quality" human being because we don't have a pocket full of money is classist bigotry. From the 2 tiered pricing system that's just been okay'd by the courts to this personal insult (yes, I'm taking this personally,) I'm done here. I hear Vietnam is a pretty good place to be these days. Enough of this.

Forget it. You are not entitled to travel and enjoy life in a foreign country. The Thai people here can decide who to admit and who to block. Further more they can determine how much financial support you need. This is Thailand where you will always be a guest,  not your homeland. 

Sure some can get by living cheap and staying in cheap places. But most Thai want to see oppertunity and progress, 

14 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I really doubt it. Backpackers/world travelers take pride in getting by on next to nothing. Poor Thais often offer them food etc.

Someone please tell me where i can get some free thai food😂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Someone please tell me where i can get some free thai food😂

Get up early. Put on an orange robe, shave your head and eyebrows and they will be lining up to give you free food.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

These guys have no idea how insulting and demeaning this kind of biased program is. To tell us that we're less than a "quality" human being because we don't have a pocket full of money is classist bigotry.

I have to say I disagree with you. I really appreciate the way I get more respect with my pockets full of money in Thailand. It enforces the feeling of me being "special".

How do you plan on getting to Vietnam? Will you be jealous of the people on the front seats of the plane with their pockets full of money? 

It is how the world works.

31 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Get up early. Put on an orange robe, shave your head and eyebrows and they will be lining up to give you free food.

i must remember to ditch my nike shoes too