News Forum - Thailand’s focus on wealthy tourists won’t benefit small business

Thaiger

With the November 1 reopening, the government has not been looking to welcome back any and all travellers that want to come to Thailand. Instead, they’ve been narrowly focused on attracting the “right” tourists, attempting to lure wealthy investors and retirees to dump money into Thailand, while often brushing aside the moderate and budget tourists that have for years been the backbone of Thailand’s tourism industry. The proposed long-term visa package is aimed directly at just 4 types of travellers: Wealthy international tourists with assets in multiple countries worth at least US $1 million who must invest at least US$500,000 […]

The story Thailand’s focus on wealthy tourists won’t benefit small business as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"A focus on high-end tourists will bring money to chains and wealthy properties, but will do little, if anything, to stimulate the economy for the average Thai person or business."

Seriously, did anyone expect otherwise?

When a government doesn't need to listen to its populace because votes don't really matter, then they are able to listen to the wealthy, the well-off, and... er... ahem... the generous.

"Let them eat Som Tam!"

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

because votes don't really matter

Why? Because the low on the chain not rich not elite peons don't matter.

4 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"A focus on high-end tourists will bring money to chains and wealthy properties, but will do little, if anything, to stimulate the economy for the average Thai person or business."

Seriously, did anyone expect otherwise?

When a government doesn't need to listen to its populace because votes don't really matter, then they are able to listen to the wealthy, the well-off, and... er... ahem... the generous.

"Let them eat Som Tam!"

That is not unique to Thailand.

Certainly, Som Tam will always be a winner.

Agreed. I guess all the unemployed bar staff, canoe and jet ski owners, small cafes  etc etc will have a longer wait economically from their post covid recovery.

• Like 1

This article hits and focusses on exactly where these jerks are running this country, into the ground, while leaving everyone who built this country to a high popularity, the normal Thai folk high and dry.

There is no one who is going to say, wow, I am going to Thailand and am going to have a wonderful trip hobnobbing with the elite and socialites. Why? Because no one wants to even see those type of people that are not interesting or real.

• Like 2

Good luck with that! I’m only well to do, not wealthy. But I would not put a single penny of my net assets of several mil usd in Thai govt bond. Why would any intelligent person do that? If anything, the pandemic has clearly shown anyone savvy in investing that the political and financial environment in Thailand is to be avoided like the plague. 

• Like 2

Just check the infrastructure of the tourism industry in Thailand!. They would destroy 90% of it these incompetent empty heads. 90 % is in the midrange lower and upper (hotels, operators, restaurants, etc ,etc) . If stupidity would make pain they would scram 24 hours. Also they show the world that they open their mouth without any knowledge but that is because they are unable to reflect themself like little kids before they realize who they see in the mirror. It is really incredible how this kind of incompetend clowns could be in charge to run the country.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Agreed. I guess all the unemployed bar staff, canoe and jet ski owners, small cafes  etc etc will have a longer wait economically from their post covid recovery.

Those in high tourist areas  have been milking the system for years often charging 3+× the regular amount.  The bar people and jet ski operators are mafia types. They aren't ordinary Thais.  Likewise backpackers bring so little that they don't help working Thais 

My thoughts.

Please change the goverment in the next election, they are only interested in rich people, so the corruption can works efective, whats happen with the normal thai people, they suffer alot more and more. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Those in high tourist areas  have been milking the system for years often charging 3+× the regular amount.  The bar people and jet ski operators are mafia types. They aren't ordinary Thais.  Likewise backpackers bring so little that they don't help working Thais 

My thoughts.

Unfortunately this is true of many. Bars and jet ski scammers are mafias. Noted and appreciated.

Honest observations. Imagine how many once nice beaches could be that way again without peddlers harassing folk to buy garbage items they don't need. As well as the bar folk and jet ski scammers.

• Like 1

Looking forward to leaving Thailand soon, lock, stock and barrel. Sick and tired of all this focus on money, on the rich, on the elite on the right tourist. Screw Thailand there's better places to live and retire where the size of your villa and bank account don't matter. A lot of super rich people are often involved in some of the worst aspects of life. 

• Like 2

Thailand’s focus on wealthy tourists won’t benefit small business

or more accurately

Thailand’s focus on wealthy tourists won’t benefit any business

Anyone rich enough to risk these investments will go where the rich are catered for. If I was rich i'd upsticks with my wife and her family ASAP.

• Like 2

I think the rich go to nice places look around look at the beach (pattaya) and the water after every big rain you swim in shit everything is broken or fixt half if i was rich i go somewhere nice like maladive or canary islands i think they need a lot of fixing before the rich come here 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Wealthy international tourists with assets in multiple countries

I've got an allotment in Wales and a lock up garage just over the border in England .. do I qualify .?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Dedinbed said:

I've got an allotment in Wales and a lock up garage just over the border in England .. do I qualify .?

Depends on how much of that stack of cash hidden in your lockup garage you're bringing to Thailand 😉

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Prosaap said:

I think the rich go to nice places look around look at the beach (pattaya) and the water after every big rain you swim in shit everything is broken or fixt half if i was rich i go somewhere nice like maladive or canary islands i think they need a lot of fixing before the rich come here 

As far as I know, Pattaya isn't on the itinerary for wealthy tourists.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chriscpg said:

Looking forward to leaving Thailand soon, lock, stock and barrel. Sick and tired of all this focus on money, on the rich, on the elite on the right tourist. Screw Thailand there's better places to live and retire where the size of your villa and bank account don't matter. A lot of super rich people are often involved in some of the worst aspects of life. 

Enjoy your destination, wherever that may be.

Do send a trip report wont you?

• Like 1

I have commented before on this subject and suggested the same problems in the article. The simple economy of ANY country is the people and their disposable income. So simply, if the average working class person makes money and spends a portion of that everything is fine within the scheme of things. So get the money into the "peoples" pockets and that will kick the economy along quietly. If those in charge cannot see that then maybe they are in the wrong job.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Do you have to pay import tax every time you drive over the border? Does your car get searched?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

This article hits and focusses on exactly where these jerks are running this country, into the ground, while leaving everyone who built this country to a high popularity, the normal Thai folk high and dry.

There is no one who is going to say, wow, I am going to Thailand and am going to have a wonderful trip hobnobbing with the elite and socialites. Why? Because no one wants to even see those type of people that are not interesting or 

4 minutes ago, Transam said:

Why worry about what the gov. does or other folk, surely all that stuff has no impact on your life, unless you want to read it every day to upset yourself...🤔

Your dealing with guys with only time 

no coin .... the pot shots all day long from some of these guys is the tragedy itself 

correct live your life. They could of spent these times getting fit for the return knowing health risk .nahhhhh just complain here all day . 

3 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Do you have to pay import tax every time you drive over the border? Does your car get searched?

For those 3 carrots and a lettuce from the allotment? 🤔 🤣

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Here way go .  They throw the book at you because your walking atm and now your going to run the border with what ever 

yep I say put the insurance up to 20 mil 

23 minutes ago, Poolie said:

As far as I know, Pattaya isn't on the itinerary for wealthy tourists.

Last place they would go 

mega rich in Pattaya .. the wife would feel insecure with young girls everywhere 

so not sure they go to Pattaya more like Miami 

Asia already has place for wealthy 

Singapore u got money name a place better