Most Efficient Path

Oshae

Greetings all. When we eventually do make a trip - trying to determine the best route based on the places the wife and I want to see.

Assuming things are relatively normal (no sandbox, BKK open) we would like to do Bangkok, Phuket, Hua Hin, Koh Samui and end in Bangkok to head home.

I'm just not certain on the islands route mostly. Phuket to Hua Hin, then Koh Samui? Or Phuket to Koh Samui, then Hua Hin?

Are there any places along these routes we may want to stop at on the way? Some ideas were Krabi, Chumphon, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Oshae said:

Greetings all. When we eventually do make a trip - trying to determine the best route based on the places the wife and I want to see.

Assuming things are relatively normal (no sandbox, BKK open) we would like to do Bangkok, Phuket, Hua Hin, Koh Samui and end in Bangkok to head home.

I'm just not certain on the islands route mostly. Phuket to Hua Hin, then Koh Samui? Or Phuket to Koh Samui, then Hua Hin?

Are there any places along these routes we may want to stop at on the way? Some ideas were Krabi, Chumphon, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park.

Thanks!

Will you be driving? Taking taxis?

You can do it either way

BKK-HH-Phuket-Samui

Or BKK-Samui-Phuket-HH-BKK

Stops along the way

We did this cave temple in Khao Sam Roi Yot. it was really cool but it is a decent hike up and down the stairs....

http://www.bangkok.com/huahin/hua-hin/phraya-nakhon.htm

There are some really cool, Thai local beach areas you can stop between Hua Hin and Surat Thani

You can get great prices for some nice resorts/villas right on the beach

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

There are some really cool, Thai local beach areas you can stop between Hua Hin and Surat Thani

I've been wanting to make this trip. Is taking the train a good idea?

We would likely be taking taxis. Not sure how confident I am to rent a car and drive myself. Also never driven on the left lol.

I think the main goal is to limit any excessively long road trips without stops. Phuket to Surat Thani looks like a 4 hour drive.

Flying from BKK to Phuket seems the obvious choice. And then I'm thinking we would fly from Phuket to Koh Samui. Ferry back to Surat Thani, and then work our way up the coast to Hua Hin. Breaking up the trip by stopping at various places along the way. Stay in Hua Hin for a few days and back to BKK.

10 minutes ago, Oshae said:

We would likely be taking taxis. Not sure how confident I am to rent a car and drive myself. Also never driven on the left lol.

I think the main goal is to limit any excessively long road trips without stops. Phuket to Surat Thani looks like a 4 hour drive.

Flying from BKK to Phuket seems the obvious choice. And then I'm thinking we would fly from Phuket to Koh Samui. Ferry back to Surat Thani, and then work our way up the coast to Hua Hin. Breaking up the trip by stopping at various places along the way. Stay in Hua Hin for a few days and back to BKK.

My personal opinion

If you were willing to rent a car from Surat Thani to BKK, it would make your trip so much better

Fly to Phuket from BKK, then Phuket to Samui and ferry over to Surat Thani

Pick up the car in Surat Thani and drive to BKK

There are a lot of laid back places on the way up to stop, Chumphon, etc

The drive is really easy, 1 shot up the same highway basically

That's just me, I like to drive for the freedom

In Thailand I always use this for rental cars

I pick the full insurance, no deductible option and if you have it for x number of days, they don't charge a 1 way fee

https://www.rentalcars.com/

23 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

I've been wanting to make this trip. Is taking the train a good idea?

I've never heard of anyone taking the train past Hua Hin

They did enjoy the BKK-Hua Hin, even if slow and late a lot of times

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Oshae said:

How much time do you have?

I agree. Normally when I go places I like to drive for the freedom. In fact I hate being a passenger anywhere I go, or riding with people. I always want to be behind my own wheels lol.

I think maybe I'm just being apprehensive of a foreign country and left hand traffic.

But now that I've been thinking about it and looking at the route and pictures etc, I can handle that highway from Surat Thani to HH and up to BKK. And then we can stop anytime and anywhere we want if desired.

I believe you have the winning route Marc26. I'll check out the rental resource. Thank you! :)

5 minutes ago, Oshae said:

We're going for at least 3 weeks total.

3 weeks is a decent amount of time

I have a bit of ADD, so I like to move around...........

I would look into spending a few days in Ao Nang in the Krabi area, slightly off the straight path, but I really like that town and area......

I know Phuket, Samui and HH very well, so PM any questions if you would like

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

3 weeks is a decent amount of time

I have a bit of ADD, so I like to move around...........

I would look into spending a few days in Ao Nang in the Krabi area, slightly off the straight path, but I really like that town and area......

I know Phuket, Samui and HH very well, so PM any questions if you would like

Where would I potentially be dropping a car off in BKK? An open highway is ok, but I definitely don't want to get into BKK traffic.

Or maybe drop off in HH and then taxi back to BKK.

12 minutes ago, Oshae said:

Where would I potentially be dropping a car off in BKK? An open highway is ok, but I definitely don't want to get into BKK traffic.

Right at the airport.......

15 minutes ago, Oshae said:

Taxi fares from HH to BKK are down to 1600 baht now ! That's in a Fortuner !

No reason to drive.

One slight edit. If we wanted to go to Krabi as well, there is a ferry from Phuket to Krabi. Would you fly from Krabi to Koh Samui or have to go back to Phuket airport?

41 minutes ago, Oshae said:

One slight edit. If we wanted to go to Krabi as well, there is a ferry from Phuket to Krabi. Would you fly from Krabi to Koh Samui or have to go back to Phuket airport?

BKK-Samui-Phuket flights in that order 

Then ferry Phuket to Krabi

Would be my route I'd take 

Then head north from Krabi up towards Hua Hin

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marc26 said:

BKK-Samui-Phuket flights in that order 

Then ferry Phuket to Krabi

Would be my route I'd take 

Then head north from Krabi up towards Hua Hin

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking the same to drive from phuket to bangkok. Do I need to go through road block entering Chumphon and Bangkok for covid test result. Can anyone help to answer this? Much appreciated!