News Forum - Governor says income distribution essential to Phuket recovery

Thaiger

The Governor of Phuket announced in a speech yesterday that his goal was to maximize income distribution as the island begins to open up more. Phuket is expecting an influx of tourists to arrive after the November 1 reopening, and a campaign is being launched to make sure that the benefit from the increased tourism can be shared by all. The campaign is called “Together Phuket Stepping Forward,” and is intended to unite business leaders and Phuket officials in preparing and promoting the island for tourism. Governor Narong Woonciew commented on the success of the Phuket sandbox scheme, and described […]

The story Governor says income distribution essential to Phuket recovery as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

One of the things I enjoy most about visiting Phuket, is that I get to "distribute" income. Governments don't decide where I spend money....I do :) I don't spend it in the hotel I'm staying at (owned by some corporate conglomerate). I spend it at the street food place, operated by three generations of one family. Or the family who hire out motorbikes and do laundry. So thanks Governor....I'll do the income distribution :)

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

One of the things I enjoy most about visiting Phuket, is that I get to "distribute" income. Governments don't decide where I spend money....I do :) I don't spend it in the hotel I'm staying at (owned by some corporate conglomerate). I spend it at the street food place, operated by three generations of one family. Or the family who hire out motorbikes and do laundry. So thanks Governor....I'll do the income distribution :)

So you're finally coming!!  Let's hope you don't get to distribute income for your 14 day jail term...

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The Governor of Phuket announced in a speech yesterday that his goal was to maximize income distribution as the island begins to open up more.

Nothing but a cheap, meaningless soundbite from the governor, whose island's visitors spend their money as they - and they only - wish, be it on accommodation, meals, entertainment, travel or whatever. Exactly how does Narong envisage his role in this 'income distribution'? . . . the income has already been distributed and with utterly no help from him.

• Like 1

Tired of reading about the supposed influx of people into Thailand. Anyone with an IQ of 50 knows to check hotel reservations to see how many actual tourist are on the way. I would say it's not a very big influx to worry about distribution of income.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Tired of reading about the supposed influx of people into Thailand. Anyone with an IQ of 50 knows to check hotel reservations to see how many actual tourist are on the way. I would say it's not a very big influx to worry about distribution of income.

Fair comment, @Ronnie, given the 'supposed' status of pretty well everything, lately.

And your debut post, too, so welcome to TT forum, where I'm sure you'll find many happy and willing debaters.

555!

In order for wealth to be distributed around the island, people need to A, be allowed to come into the country  and B, have something to spend it on.

That means attract the tourists, and provide what they want. 

As Thailand in general,  and Phuket in particular, is not welcoming, the Sandbox etc is just not tourist holiday maker friendly.

The new rules as of November 1, (which still have not been gazetted), and therefore just pie in the sky, are in my opinion,  a nightmare and I don't see people coming in any significant numbers as a result! 

So the distribution of wealth is not going to happen, and the poor are going to get even more poor and desperate.

So sad!

• Like 1

The Governor must have had a Zoom call to that Fortune teller who the Government put on the payroll a few years back. He must have looked into his Crystal ball and seen hundreds of Tourists coming off the planes at Phuket Airport lol.

• Haha 1