News Forum - Government outlines 7 conditions of quarantine-free re-opening

Thaiger

Is the $50,000 cover a typo ? Wasn't it $100,000 ?

Love having to download the app after landing - can envisage hordes of bemused travellers with no internet access yet raiding SIM shops !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

But that would preclude an extra take for the insurance companies - same PCR test on landing, purely designed to extract money, would be interested to see where the PCR cash ends up - it serves no other meaningful purpose.

I agree that the PCR on arrival is fairly meaningless. As everyone boarding a plane will have had a negative PCR with an absolute maximum of 72 hours, then the arrival PCR is fairly pointless in terms of controlling the virus. If someone on the flight contracted it just after their test, they may be contagious when they are on board. However, the chances of you contracting it and it being detected when you land is virtually Zero. They should PCR test on day 2 or 3 of arrival if they are serious about controlling the virus. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

I agree that the PCR on arrival is fairly meaningless. As everyone boarding a plane will have had a negative PCR with an absolute maximum of 72 hours, then the arrival PCR is fairly pointless in terms of controlling the virus. If someone on the flight contracted it just after their test, they may be contagious when they are on board. However, the chances of you contracting it and it being detected when you land is virtually Zero. They should PCR test on day 2 or 3 of arrival if they are serious about controlling the virus. 

Which is exactly what the UK does on Day 2 and 8 - maybe the thais are panicking they won't get their bung cash before you leave the airport. 

Ironically if you did catch it on the plane, their latest system will allow you to wander off at will and spread it. I pray every day they don't get put in charge of my beer deliveries !

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Which is exactly what the UK does on Day 2 and 8 - maybe the thais are panicking they won't get their bung cash before you leave the airport. 

Ironically if you did catch it on the plane, their latest system will allow you to wander off at will and spread it. I pray every day they don't get put in charge of my beer deliveries !

Spot on. I think they know full well that even testing vaccinated foreigners who have a negative PCR test prior to travel is sufficient in a country that already has massive amounts of infected people.

Like most things the Thais do. In general they look like they are complying with international standards and norms. In reality, their focus is on the money and the reason for the policy is secondary,  and so I believe you are right. Get the money before they leave the airport. It’s the same reason they are insisting on a hotel booking even if you have your own property. What I’ve come to understand after visiting Thailand for more years than I care to remember is this. If their logic confuses you. Follow the money and you will find the answer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I agree with the sentiment @Graham  However, the collective word for all this is Propaganda. This is all about improving local people’s perception on improving life and foreign investor confidence. It’s the same with all these crazy ideas of Elite visas and Nomad Visas and Special investment visas. At a headline level, this makes the Thai government look like it’s introducing an open and progressive immigration policy. It ticks certain boxes which make the outside world think this is a progressive and inclusive country.

They will be doing exactly the same when it comes human rights. Look at the fiasco with unregistered fishing boats and slave trade in the fruit industry. Environmental policy. How many of us have recycling bins in Thailand and how many buses and trucks spew out smoke and the annual smog that covers Chiang Mai. Climate change policy. How many new homes and Condos are being built with ANY insulation?  It’s when you look at the devil residing inside the detail of what they announce compared to what they do, that is when you see the BS you refer to. Thailand gets away with it as it’s not an important country. In the great scheme of things It’s an insignificant economy and military power in SE Asia,  run by the military in a region run by military and dictators. 

The Thais have been playing this game for hundreds of years. It was how they largely avoided colonisation. It was how they managed to survive world war 2 and seemingly are friends with everyone. They are absolute experts at playing the two faced game. This latest piece of propaganda announcing quarantine free travel is “bread & butter” to Thailand.    

Soidog, that's an excellent post summing up the way it has, does, and will work here probably forever.

There will be those who may say you're just slagging Thailand off, but that's that way it is. A case of like it or lump it.

Trying trying change anything - I'm talking about Thais here, not us ferangs - it's like pushing string uphill.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

well, i just saw the insurance thingy and that it ....... this is not going to happen lol , this said we all have such insurance link with our cc ....... still where to stay awaiting the test result? 

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

Soidog, that's an excellent post summing up the way it has, does, and will work here probably forever.

There will be those who may say you're just slagging Thailand off, but that's that way it is. A case of like it or lump it.

Trying trying change anything - I'm talking about Thais here, not us ferangs - it's like pushing string uphill.

Thanks @Bluesofa  it certainly wasn’t intended to be a Thai bashing quote. 

Im one of these people who prefer to see places for what they are and then decide if I can tolerate it. Some people choose to focus on the positives and rationalise or ignore the negatives, nothing wrong with that.  

For example, I could never live in a country like Saudi Arabia or North Korea as it’s simply too oppressive and unfair. Many rich Scandinavian countries seem almost idyllic in terms of social justice and attitudes towards global issues. But it’s too bloody cold 😂

I will be honest and say I run hot and cold about Thailand (no pun intended). There are aspects to it as a chilled way of life and natural beauty that are very appealing. But their government policies on a range of topics and their wealth gap tests my core values many times. Maybe that’s why I’m comfortable spending 6-8 months a year in Thailand and the rest in either the U.K. or some other European country.  I guess nowhere is perfect and if you “think too much” as I do, then Thailand can be a challenge .🤔

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. I actually think a “safer” option is:

Double vaccinated

Antigen test immediately prior to departing. This also elevates the tight timescales of getting a test, getting the results and flying half way around the world, all within 72 hours.  

PCR test on day 2

You need to read carefully the conditions of entry.

3. Have a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours of departure from your home country.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/government-outlines-7-conditions-of-quarantine-free-re-opening

8 minutes ago, Tim said:

3. Have a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours of departure from your home country.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/government-outlines-7-conditions-of-quarantine-free-re-opening

I’m not sure what you are referring to @Tim?  I wasn’t suggesting that what the policy was. I was saying what I think the policy should be 👍🏻

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Soidog said:
45 minutes ago, Tim said:

I’m not sure what you are referring to @Tim?  I wasn’t suggesting that what the policy was. I was saying what I think the policy should be 👍🏻

Fair comment, for sure, @Soidog, but evidently there are those members who may comment as above, when the world and his dog knew perfectly well what you were really saying.

5 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Fair comment, for sure, @Soidog, but evidently there are those members who may comment as above, when the world and his dog knew perfectly well what you were really saying.

Yes, it’s odd how people usually start with a phrase such as “you need to read more carefully” and then clearly show they didn’t read your post to which they are commenting more carefully. I guess we all make mistakes. I know I do 😂😂

• Cool 1

38 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

No surprises there. 1 night SAH+ as expected.

Screenshot_20211021_215028.jpg

So the impression I'm now getting is nothing needs to be uploaded to anything ? The above list just looks like a few sheets of paper evidence.

So it IS $50k cover - I wonder where the $100k came from ?

But I can live with that - though a friend of mine recently travelled just 3 days after his second jab - got through no problems, no-one pulled him up on it.

52 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

That says 72 hours before traveling. Huge difference for those of us living on the other side of the planet. Don’t need to think up a back up plan anymore. 

• Like 1

I just want to know thaif if my pcr test on arrival is clear, can i then go onto where my wife lives at our home in the far north of Thailand. ?

i have already booked a flight to bangkok, should i delay booking the onward flight to where my wife and house is ?

1 hour ago, markhub said:

I just want to know thaif if my pcr test on arrival is clear, can i then go onto where my wife lives at our home in the far north of Thailand. ?

i have already booked a flight to bangkok, should i delay booking the onward flight to where my wife and house is ?

Like all things connected to the junta it depends - you are looking at at least one night in a hotel after your flight to await the result - of course there's no need for the test or the wait for the result given it could be a simple antigen test - result in a few minutes and out, but the hotels on the list are no doubt owned by a consortium headed by Anutins 5th cousin removed and those watches aren't going to buy themselves !

The only potential issue is your PCR result is delayed. But the second you get that all clear get going ! 

Me personally I'm going to book one night in a hotel and play it by ear from there ...however the way the UK is going right now, I'm looking at 2 years quarantine !

This seems reasonable but we will be traveling from the USA and it will take more than 72 hours to get to Thailand! 
I wish they would get on an announce this properly so hotels can make provisions for what is required. Last minute thinking is not of use.

3 hours ago, Anjli said:

This seems reasonable but we will be traveling from the USA and it will take more than 72 hours to get to Thailand! 
I wish they would get on an announce this properly so hotels can make provisions for what is required. Last minute thinking is not of use.

What's not 'properly' announced? It seems straightforward to me?

72+ hours getting from America to Thailand? Walking??

On 10/21/2021 at 5:15 PM, Bornholmeren said:

I agree with you RubMuir - as a frequent traveller to Thailand (from Scandinavia) I am only feeling save with the measures taken. One thing I miss - is information about transit in Bankok airport from my international arrival and a domestic flight to my destination wich is Koh Lanta in my upcoming trip. It is difficult to read if I have to stay in Bankkok until a result of at test - or if I am allowed to proceed to domestic flight and then take the test when I arrive. 

By the way - I really hope that the people om Thailand will welcome us.  

I am sure the lovely Thai people will welcome you

On 10/21/2021 at 9:52 PM, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

What if someone lives in Thailand and wants to go abroad to an eligible country for less than 21 days - does it mean that that person will not be quarantine-exempted?

5 minutes ago, DrH said:

What if someone lives in Thailand and wants to go abroad to an eligible country for less than 21 days - does it mean that that person will not be quarantine-exempted?

If you won't set foot in an "unsafe country",  I can't see why you'd need to quaranten. But I'm not sure logic applies here..

23 hours ago, DrH said:

As I read it there is an exemption for Thailand residences who do short trips to a "safe country"

On 10/25/2021 at 10:02 AM, DrH said:

Good question.

My interpretation is that you must spend 21 consecutive (key word) days in an eligible Country to qualify for entry without quarantine. If you haven't spent 21 consecutive days in an eligible Country then you'd probably have to enter via the 7 day ASH+ scheme. (Blue)