News Forum - PM tells reporters to focus on economy, doesn’t want to talk about election

Thaiger

The Thai PM says he can cope with everything he has to deal with and is not bothered by rumours of political disagreements. However, according to a Bangkok Post report, he then asked journalists to stop asking about the election and focus their questions on the economy instead. Prayut Chan-o-cha was addressing the media after yesterday’s meeting of the Defence Council. Controversy continues to surround how long the PM has left in office, with opposition politicians and others insisting his term is up on August 24 next year. This is based on a constitutional ruling that nobody can serve as […]

The story PM tells reporters to focus on economy, doesn’t want to talk about election as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Comes to power 2014, but officially elected 2019 (depending how they want to interpret the system).

The Military will not give up power to anyone anytime soon no matter how many elections are held in Thailand.  

• Like 4

2014 is when he became dictator with the military in control and that has never changed and with the military wrote constitution it will never change 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Those who believe the PM’s time is up next August insist his term began when he seized power as head of the National Council for Peace and Order in May 2014. However, the PM’s Secretariat Office has previously claimed that his term only began after the declaration of the current charter in 2017.

No problem. If he gets caught out, just change the constitution - yet again. He'll eventually find a flavour he likes.

22 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

However, the question of when his term ends continues to be hotly debated and is expected to influence when the election might take place. It’s understood that opposition parties will petition for a Constitutional Court ruling on the matter.

Ha ha ha! The court will I'm sure, do as they're told.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

30 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Thai PM says he can cope with everything he has to deal with and is not bothered by rumours of political disagreements. However, according to a Bangkok Post report, he then asked journalists to stop asking about the election and focus their questions on the economy instead. Prayut Chan-o-cha was addressing the media after yesterday’s meeting of the Defence Council. Controversy continues to surround how long the PM has left in office, with opposition politicians and others insisting his term is up on August 24 next year. This is based on a constitutional ruling that nobody can serve as […]

The story PM tells reporters to focus on economy, doesn’t want to talk about election as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Get used to Prayut.

He may have seized control in 2014 but he was in caretaker control until the new constitution was formally recognised in 2017. 

He could then legally organise elections under this constitution which happened in 2019. Yes he won and it was technically his first election under the new constitution so therefore his first 4 year term.

Constitutional court will rule in his favour to stand another term, it would be unconstitutional not to allow him the second term.

Stinks I know.

• Like 3
  • Cool 2

I can't argue with any of the posts above, but perhaps everyone should take another perspective; you are all arguing from a perspective that it is he who will decide.

Were I one of the PTB in Thailand, I would certainly hesitate in permitting Prayut to stay on; that 2X4 year limit in the new constitution is there for a reason. Simply put, I would be uncomfortable in allowing him to accumulate too much power and thus wriggle out of control. Think it through; if allowed another term, he would have (yet another!) four years to place people in government and throughout Thailand's power structures who would owe him, and him personally.

Is that the kind of situation that would make the PTB happy?

Recall Thai history; even Prem was only given two terms. And, others are waiting in the wings; asking them to wait (yet another!) 4 years might not be wise to one's position. Finally, how much cash and influence will he and his cronies accumulate in (yet another!) four year term? Things to think about.

I am not sure if Prayut will be permitted to continue or not.

I doubt that I would permit it.

If I can see these problems, I am sure others can as well.

Hmm...

• Like 4

The above comments are noble sentiments. I just think it's laughable that a PM should think that they can actually dictate what the public discourse should be. 

• Cool 1