News Forum - Travellers after November 1 told to book quarantine hotels

Thaiger

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

We weren’t talking about coverage we were talking about government action on the issues so I’m not sure why you’re getting confused!

Ifyou actually watched the news you would see what the government are doing. 

That was your original question. You asked what they were doing today.

You have confused yourself.

6 minutes ago, sturge56 said:

We are trying to get back to our home before the Thai government steals it from us,

Thats a new one. 

The Thai government have brought in some rules and regulations so they can open up the country to foreigners. Try getting in to Australia, China etc currently.

Calm down fella, the government are not going to steal your house.

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Ok, understood

And yes, that can be a cause for concern, for sure

I told about being worried when we were in Mexico in July and having to take the PCR test to return to Canada and the worry(paranoia really) of testing positive and the hassle put a damper on my trip

So I think a valid concern................sorry I misunderstood that

Actually the apology is owed to me when you so confidently respnded to my post by saying "not true at all" AND THEN proceeded to inaccurately state that Canada and the US requires tests upon arrival. Essentially calling me a liar, and posting misinformation at the same time. If you had taken one minute, like I did, you could have easily looked for the information online rather than just babbling out BS. YOUR response to my post saying that I wasn't "true" is exactly what is wrong with the conversations now. So I am calling YOU out for being "not true at all". You don't get an "oopsie my bad I misunderstood pass."

12 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Just wait till the rules are published and the uncertainly has passed.

Well basically on 31st October... As usual, the final and official announcement will be made the day before things are supposed to happen.

5 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Ifyou actually watched the news you would see what the government are doing. 

That was your original question. You asked what they were doing today.

You have confused yourself.

I watch the news - and yet I'm still struggling to understand why you're confused.

So give us an update on how well the government are doing on covid vaccines that you've picked up from 'the news' ..

10 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

Anyone who plans a holiday outside of their home country at the moment is a bit of a fool. 

Given the ups and downs of the COVID crisis in any particular country, one should expect problems. It is no good whining about them. 

I for one, have no expectation of traveling vacation wise until at least the middle of 2022 or even later. 

That is what's called common sense!

100% agree. To travel to reunite with family or for pressing business needs (can’t imagine what can’t be achieved with Zoom and email mind you), seems perfectly reasonable. To travel so you can flop on a beach or swim in the sea or spend the night with a girl your daughter/granddaughter age seems utterly reckless.  The whole world is getting close to sorting this mess out. It’s going to take another 6-12 months, but even by March next year we will all be in a much better place. Just sit tight a little longer and keep us all safe. 

8 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Actually the apology is owed to me when you so confidently respnded to my post by saying "not true at all" AND THEN proceeded to inaccurately state that Canada and the US requires tests upon arrival. Essentially calling me a liar, and posting misinformation at the same time. If you had taken one minute, like I did, you could have easily looked for the information online rather than just babbling out BS. YOUR response to my post saying that I wasn't "true" is exactly what is wrong with the conversations now. So I am calling YOU out for being "not true at all". You don't get an "oopsie my bad I misunderstood pass."

See below, i read it wrong.....my apologies

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

100% agree. To travel to reunite with family or for pressing business needs (can’t imagine what can’t be achieved with Zoom and email mind you), seems perfectly reasonable. To travel so you can flop on a beach or swim in the sea or spend the night with a girl your daughter/granddaughter age seems utterly reckless.  The whole world is getting close to sorting this mess out. It’s going to take another 6-12 months, but even by March next year we will all be in a much better place. Just sit tight a little longer and keep us all safe. 

The only problem with this logical thinking SD

Is where will they now go that makes them feel like a big shot and special?

13 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

The United States is not requiring antigen tests upon arrival. Site your source that says that the United States and Canada are requiring testing after arrival. Which would mean a test prior to flying and after flying.

COVID-19 Testing Required for U.S. Entry

Effective January 26, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will require all air passengers two years of age and over entering the United States (including U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents) to present a negative COVID-19 test, taken within three (3) calendar days of departure, or proof of recovery from the virus within the last 90 days. Airlines must confirm the negative test result or proof of recent recovery for all passengers prior to boarding. Airlines must deny boarding of passengers who do not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/covid-19_testing_required_US_Entry.html

All travellers can be eligible to enter Canada as a fully vaccinated traveller regardless of citizenship. Canadians must meet and follow all of the same entry requirements.

If you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, you also do not have to do on-arrival testing, unless you are selected for a mandatory randomized test.

Yes I read it wrong LGM, my apologies

I didn't see where it said "testing on arrival"

You can see in another post, that is a valid concern

You don't want to land and then get a positive result

I mentioned being in Mexico and worrying about getting a positive test

I can't keep track of which countries were added/removed in the endless list of lists, but looks like there will be cancellations (or non-bookings) as the Russians announced a one week lockdown due to soaring numbers...

And the UK may have few travellers, as there is a high number of infections. Those people are likely vaccinated and symptomless, but would fail a PCR test.

Looks like that Cessna filled with tourists won't be fully booked just yet 🤣

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Zoom doesn't solve all, there are people that have to be in front of their client for physical reasons

Me personally, I picked up a few clients over the pandemic that I had never met. I could still do their business but it is weird to be doing business for people you never met in person

The only thing I can do really is just laugh, there is no point in me complaining otherwise I would have to turn into a full time complainer.

I have been watching what has been going on and told myself it is 99% certain they will not be ready to open on the 1st November even though the UK is on (maybe) the special list or whatever it will be called.

I saw an article a few weeks ago stating the special visa system has been extended for new travellers from the end of September, the visa was valid for 90 days plus more extensions, I looked on the Thai Embassy web site in London and it states the special visa is now expired and there is no information it has been extended past September.

So the only thing I can apply for in my situation is a 60 day visa which can be extended but it is not clear for how long, 30 days or another 60 days?

It is all too complicated and unstable so I suppose just like thousands of others I will postpone my trip for now.

There is a British expression, "They could not arrange a piss-up in a brewery"

17 hours ago, Soidog said:

I just don’t understand the U.K. government in this. There has just been a cross party parliamentary report come out a week or so back, explaining that one of the major mistakes back in March 2020 was not locking down quick enough. I dont think we need to lockdown, but what is wrong with mandating face masks in enclosed public spaces? Do something before it’s left too late again and they are forced to do everything they, and no one else wants. All this crap about  “encouraging” and “strongly suggesting”. Crazy 

I carried on wearing masks here in the UK when going into Tesco, garages etc up until last week, 95% of others had stopped wearing their masks weeks ago in such places so there was little point for me to carry on wearing one as the masks protects others not there wearer.

I wish they would make them mandatory again and introduce a vaccine passport, if people do not want to have the vaccine then stay at home.

They could introduce the above as it would have very little impact on peoples lives and simple to do, the NHS app generates your passport on your phone in a minute based on your already recorded vaccine status. 

It was also announced that any one over 50 could now book a booster jab and not just when invited to do so so I tried to book and was told I was not eligible yet as we have to be invited.

The government are complaining we are not getting the booster jabs, well we can't if we are not allowed to book them.

18 minutes ago, JamesR said:

The only thing I can do really is just laugh, there is no point in me complaining otherwise I would have to turn into a full time complainer.

I have been watching what has been going on and told myself it is 99% certain they will not be ready to open on the 1st November even though the UK is on (maybe) the special list or whatever it will be called.

I saw an article a few weeks ago stating the special visa system has been extended for new travellers from the end of September, the visa was valid for 90 days plus more extensions, I looked on the Thai Embassy web site in London and it states the special visa is now expired and there is no information it has been extended past September.

So the only thing I can apply for in my situation is a 60 day visa which can be extended but it is not clear for how long, 30 days or another 60 days?

It is all too complicated and unstable so I suppose just like thousands of others I will postpone my trip for now.

There is a British expression, "They could not arrange a piss-up in a brewery"

@JamesR, what you describe is the same as my situation. I can confirm that the 60 day tourist visa can be extended once for 30 days while you are in Thailand. Following that, your options are:

1. Do a border run and go straight in and out to a country like Cambodia or Loas. You can then return on visa exemption for 30 days, which itself can then be extended for a further 30 days. 

2.  If the border isn’t open then it’s likely you can extend your stay due to Covid. This is less certain and the extension period is also less certain. 

3.  Finally of course you can just leave and return home or spend some time in an another country on holiday and then return.  

I plan on doing 1 or 2 as I want to stay in Thailand 5-6 months of possible. 

On 10/20/2021 at 8:44 PM, Timo said:

My parents had tickets books for 10 nov for a while to come see me, haven't cancelled yet but probably will, just cant trust the Thai gov.

Same for my family we cannot trust this unprofessional government .

On 10/20/2021 at 8:58 PM, Pi_Tim said:

And the day they announced the reopening, it was a headline in many international news !!

Who is going to trust what now ??

Are they going to cancel the concerts !! ??

we have reached the top of incompetence

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I carried on wearing masks here in the UK when going into Tesco, garages etc up until last week, 95% of others had stopped wearing their masks weeks ago in such places so there was little point for me to carry on wearing one as the masks protects others not there wearer.

I wish they would make them mandatory again and introduce a vaccine passport, if people do not want to have the vaccine then stay at home.

They could introduce the above as it would have very little impact on peoples lives and simple to do, the NHS app generates your passport on your phone in a minute based on your already recorded vaccine status. 

It was also announced that any one over 50 could now book a booster jab and not just when invited to do so so I tried to book and was told I was not eligible yet as we have to be invited.

The government are complaining we are not getting the booster jabs, well we can't if we are not allowed to book them.

I totally agree with all of that @JamesR  I really don’t know why people are so anti-mask and anti-passport. Many people I respect claim it’s an infringement on their freedoms. The same people don’t support ID cards which I do.

Again, I’m in exactly the same position with the booster and I’m not eligible until end of November at the earliest. I also tried to book but you are not eligible until 6 months after your second jab. I do think the 6 month limit should be more flexible. If they have the vaccines (which they do) then just boost people who are close to the 6 month window. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

@JamesR, what you describe is the same as my situation. I can confirm that the 60 day tourist visa can be extended once for 30 days while you are in Thailand. Following that, your options are:

1. Do a border run and go straight in and out to a country like Cambodia or Loas. You can then return on visa exemption for 30 days, which itself can then be extended for a further 30 days. 

2.  If the border isn’t open then it’s likely you can extend your stay due to Covid. This is less certain and the extension period is also less certain. 

3.  Finally of course you can just leave and return home or spend some time in an another country on holiday and then return.  

I plan on doing 1 or 2 as I want to stay in Thailand 5-6 months of possible. 

Or wait a week or two to see if the 90 day special extendable visa is updated on the London Thai Embassy website.

Am I correct, was there an article stating the 90 day visa was going to be extended for new travellers?

I have and additional problem as I might need to return quickly as I sold my large family house of 27 years in June this year just days before the £500,000 stamp duty holiday ended.

I did not buy again as my thoughts were the mass of people who wanted to use the benefit of lower stamp duty will already have done it, there will still be demand but not as much.

I have seen in the area I sold many of the house prices have been reduced over the last few months and the demand does not seem to be the same.

It is the same for the house I am currently staying in in London which I am house-sitting for my sister as it is on the market for sale.

The agent has just suggested putting the asking price down by quite a large amount and there is only one viewing every two weeks now, much less than before.

Plus the annual house price rise in June 'year-on-year' was 13.5%, but  by September it was down to 10% so it looks like prices are falling so I am waiting as the house I sold is part of my pension and so I wish to buy a few smaller properties to rent out and if I can get them cheaper in a few months time then that will be good. 

14 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I totally agree with all of that @JamesR  I really don’t know why people are so anti-mask and anti-passport. Many people I respect claim it’s an infringement on their freedoms. The same people don’t support ID cards which I do.

Again, I’m in exactly the same position with the booster and I’m not eligible until end of November at the earliest. I also tried to book but you are not eligible until 6 months after your second jab. I do think the 6 month limit should be more flexible. If they have the vaccines (which they do) then just boost people who are close to the 6 month window. 

I bet the same people complain about illegal immigration but still don't want an ID system.

I was in Germany a few years ago and the police turned up, checked some peoples ID cards and then took them away, they must have been illegal. 

My second jab was just more than six months ago but the reason I can not book on the online booster app after putting in my NHS number etc is I have to wait to be invited, I read on the news today anybody over 50 can now apply without being invited but that has not been set in the app yet it seems, I will try in a few days to see if it has been updated.

All they have to do is take out the code which checks the 'invite' status and then relaunch the app, they should be able to do it in a few hours including testing.

9 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Or wait a week or two to see if the 90 day special extendable visa is updated on the London Thai Embassy website.

Am I correct, was there an article stating the 90 day visa was going to be extended for new travellers?

I have and additional problem as I might need to return quickly as I sold my large family house of 27 years in June this year just days before the £500,000 stamp duty holiday ended.

I did not buy again as my thoughts were the mass of people who wanted to use the benefit of lower stamp duty will already have done it, there will still be demand but not as much.

I have seen in the area I sold many of the house prices have been reduced over the last few months and the demand does not seem to be the same.

It is the same for the house I am currently staying in in London which I am house-sitting for my sister as it is on the market for sale.

The agent has just suggested putting the asking price down by quite a large amount and there is only one viewing every two weeks now, much less than before.

Plus the annual house price rise in June 'year-on-year' was 13.5%, but  by September it was down to 10% so it looks like prices are falling so I am waiting as the house I sold is part of my pension and so I wish to buy a few smaller properties to rent out and if I can get them cheaper in a few months time then that will be good. 

Yes you are right about the 90 day STV. It was announced that this was being extend (essentially restarted) for a further year. I also looked at that as an option, but the associated health insurance made me move away from it. 

On the house side of things (which is a little off topic but I’ll be quick!). You say prices rose by by 13.5% in June but now rose by only 10%. That still sounds like they are increasing but the rate of increase is slowing. I have 3 properties I rent out in the U.K. as an income. Good luck with that as it can prove a nice earner and it can also be problematic. As I move in to retirement over the next 10 years I will sell each one every 5 years or so. I can make better use of the cash than I can the income as I get older 👍🏻