News Forum - Facebook plans a name change and rebrand to a metaverse.

Thaiger

IMO, It is more likely initially the overarching parent company name (which is Facebook as well) will change but the individual brands such as Facebook, Instagram etc would stay the same.

That is not so unusual in the company world and would retain the value of brand identification, rightly or wrongly, depending on your point of view!

Or he could be simply hedging his bets in case some government action forces changes!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

IMO, It is more likely initially the overarching parent company name (which is Facebook as well) will change but the individual brands such as Facebook, Instagram etc would stay the same.

That is not so unusual in the company world and would retain the value of brand identification, rightly or wrongly, depending on your point of view!

Or he could be simply hedging his bets in case some government action forces changes!

Yes I assume it will be something like Google and Alphabet? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

I concur.  A re-branding might just kill it anyway. 

Imagine if Coca-Cola tried to rebrand.

They tried "New Coke" back in the 80s and it almost killed them.

2 hours ago, Smithydog said:

They could be planning an Alphabet type reorg to isolate liability to individual business units.

On 10/20/2021 at 10:47 AM, Soidog said:

Rebrand Facebook? Don’t be crazy. The brand value of a company like Facebook is worth hundreds of millions if not billions. Play around with that at your peril.  

I think a better idea would just be to close it all down and don’t bother. World would be a far better place. 

Just change the name to Arsebook as you have to be an arse to want to put all of your personal information and details so another bunch or arses can abuse you.

LINE, WhatsApp etc are great for free international calls and personal one-to-one videos/pictures etc but I stay away from Arsebook as people you have never heard of try to contact you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually use FB quite a bit, ( age 60)  it's unbeatable for networking, and I like it to keep a public journal of sorts- venting etc,  but it's  not without thorns.  

I run two  US political groups TrumpWatch and American Resistance Organization which I take great care to keep free of BS  postings,  moronic memes, annoying GIFs,  etc.,   and  last mid October I shared a post  I knew to be fake news which I labelled  as such  so as to have a discussion about it.  (Chris Christie telling Trump to trigger Biden's stuttering in the debates.)  I got a flag from FB telling me to remove it which I attempted to do, but it was already gone so I   explained that I had labeled it as fake news  etc. No response whatsoever. 

A few days later I found I could not post on my two groups, or ANY political groups throughout the election period,  and than ban lasted until the end of January- absolutely no  feed back or response to my queries as to why 

The AI  is  simply not nuanced enough, it's on overkill when it shouldn't be ( recent censoring of an ancient fertility statuette for instance)  and the site traffic is just too enormous to  effectively moderate with humans.   

It also changed  two journal sites I keep of informal, personally funded  animal sanctuaries  into "businesses" which they certainly are not and the "Business Suites" feature is a nightmare to check messages etc..  

Edited by ChristyS
Fix error

On 10/20/2021 at 8:10 PM, Rookiescot said:

Facebook has one saving grace.

The rightwing Trump supporters hate it.

So its a big thumbs up for me. 

I doubt TrumPutin's disinfo campaign in 2016 through 2020  would have been nearly as effective without  FB  Plenty of his supporters use it. 

On 10/20/2021 at 4:41 PM, JamesE said:

They tried "New Coke" back in the 80s and it almost killed them.

Since Thais shorten Facebook to Face what will the call the rebranded product? I guess "meta" or something like that. 

BTW I've never posted on Facebook and only read posts from others. Facebook knowingly uses your personal information for bad or good. 

On 10/20/2021 at 10:09 PM, Convert54 said:

Maybe will surface as  WeChatbook?🤣  A billion new associate members!

Far too hysterical for WeChat users to soil their hands with.

15 hours ago, LoongFred said:

BTW I've never posted on Facebook and only read posts from others. Facebook knowingly uses your personal information for bad or good.

It's so much worse than that. They follow you around the web and monitor your activities on other sites (with or without the dreaded "Login with Facebook" feature). I was an early adopter of FB but deleted my account and my data several years ago.