News Forum - Thailand to require 3 million baht insurance for non- OA immigrant visas

Thaiger

6 hours ago, Chaimai said:

No...I am saying that they didn't increase it by 650%

Do the maths :- 400K to 3 Million is +650%.  An increase of 2.6 million above 400K is + 650%. Did you learn another form of Maths? 

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Confused here, can someone confirm this for me please?

I am here on an Non Imm O based on retirement and get annual extensions, number 5 next week.

If I take a trip to the UK and come back after a few weeks ........

1) Do I buy Thai covid insurance from the list to cover me for the remaining time on my extension of stay.?

2) Cover is for $50k USD for Covid only.

3) I can just go for the cheapest policy as I already have good UK health insurance.

4) I will need a Thailand Pass and PCR test results

5) I can use a standard re-entry permit which I will buy when I do my renewal next wee,

6) If no changes, I need to book a one night stay in a quarantine hotel.

Thanks

1. You can purchase the Covid Insurance from any Insurance provider.
2. From Nov 1st, yes.
3. Yes, but I'd ensure it covers isolation in the event of non treatment of an asymptomatic condition.
4. From Nov 1st, fully vaccinated, PCR test 72 hours prior to departure from the UK and on arrival.
    Download Mor Chana App (the Thailand Pass is to register and receive a QR code for entry).
5. Yes.
6. Fully vaccinated one night in a SHA+ hotel, unvaccinated 10 nights in an AQ hotel.

Topic on entry requirements from Nov 1st here: Thailand entry requirements from Nov 1st 2021. - > Visas, Long Stay, Extensions, Re-entry Permit - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:30 AM, Thaiger said:

In a revision to the rules for non-immigrant visas, foreigners will now be required to hold a minimum of 3 million baht in health insurance in order to be eligible for long-term stays in Thailand, 8 times more than the 400,000 baht that has been previously required. The new rule was announced yesterday by Deputy Minister of Public Health Satit Pitutacha, saying that the increase in insurance is necessary to make sure that, should a traveller get ill during their one year in the country, more insurance money available is necessary to guarantee they receive the proper treatment. The massively […]

The story Thailand requires 3 million baht insurance for non-immigrant visas as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Assuming the new insurance of 3 Million inpatient level is required starting in 2022 then it would require the same $USD 100,000 policy that was required this past year if you were planning to leave and reenter Thailand. It seems that retired expats not planning to travel will need to upgrade from the 400,000Baht  policy to a 3 Mil Baht policy in order to renew their visa next year.    

Time will tell if it will be lowered to 1.5Mil to match the newest tourist insurance level or left at 3Mil.  Personally I think it will be 3Mil for Non-AO because we are a captive audience whereas they want to lower the amount to 1.5Mil to attract tourists.  If the Immigration wanted to be fair to all involved the required insurance would be the same for Retirement, Non-O , Tourists & Thai wife visa.  

FYI :  These are the current quotes I just received last week from one insurance company using a 300k deductable.   Visa Friendly & Maxima should meet the new requirements.

Age 66-70 Years - Estimated Premium*
STANDARD EXTRA (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 26,098 THB
VISA-FRIENDLY (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 46,684 THB
MAXIMA (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 56,440 THB

Age 71-75 Years- Estimated Premium*
STANDARD EXTRA (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 38,891 THB
VISA-FRIENDLY (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 67,109 THB
MAXIMA (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 84,107 THB

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Soidog9 said:

Assuming the new insurance of 3 Million inpatient level is required starting in 2022 then it would require the same $USD 100,000 policy that was required this past year if you were planning to leave and reenter Thailand.

Confusing and incorrect.

28 minutes ago, Soidog9 said:

Time will tell if it will be lowered to 1.5Mil to match the newest tourist insurance level or left at 3Mil.  Personally I think it will be 3Mil for Non-AO because we are a captive audience whereas they want to lower the amount to 1.5Mil to attract tourists.  If the Immigration wanted to be fair to all involved the required insurance would be the same for Retirement, Non-O , Tourists & Thai wife visa.  

Sorry, again your confusing two different Insurance policies.

30 minutes ago, Soidog9 said:

FYI :  These are the current quotes I just received last week from one insurance company using a 300k deductable.   Visa Friendly & Maxima should meet the new requirements.

Age 66-70 Years - Estimated Premium*
STANDARD EXTRA (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 26,098 THB
VISA-FRIENDLY (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 46,684 THB
MAXIMA (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 56,440 THB

Age 71-75 Years- Estimated Premium*
STANDARD EXTRA (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 38,891 THB
VISA-FRIENDLY (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 67,109 THB
MAXIMA (IPD + OPD) + 300 K Deductible = 84,107 THB

Which Insurance company.

For extension applications on Non O-A Visas Immigration only accept policies from a TGIA approved Insurer.

34 minutes ago, Faz said:

Confusing and incorrect.

Sorry, again your confusing two different Insurance policies.

Which Insurance company.

For extension applications on Non O-A Visas Immigration only accept policies from a TGIA approved Insurer.

Sorry if you are confused.  Last year for renewing retirement visa a 3 Million Baht insurance policy was required IF you planned to travel & leave and re-enter Thailand during that 12 month visa period.  If you were already in Thailand & not planning to travel in the coming year you could buy the 400,000 policy.  

So if the new 3 Million levis for all new and existing retired persons  it would only be an increase for persons not planning to travel. Those that travelled this past year would be buying the same policy of 3 Mil coverage.

The insurance rates I posted were from my Thai approved insurance company from this last week when I re-newed my policy.

5 minutes ago, Soidog9 said:

Last year for renewing retirement visa a 3 Million Baht insurance policy was required IF you planned to travel & leave and re-enter Thailand during that 12 month visa period.

Is that an O-A extension for purpose of retirement granted by CM Immigration direct or via an agent?   I heard nothing about any new requirement from those few expats here, that I know, on O-A extensions.  

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Is that an O-A extension for purpose of retirement granted by CM Immigration direct or via an agent?   I heard nothing about any new requirement from those few expats here, that I know, on O-A extensions.  

Hi Rob ~  That is an O-A extension for retirement.  I always go directly without an agent.  

Last year immigration required an insurance policy of 3 Mil to enter Thailand for O-A however if you were already here and renewing they said 400,000 is fine.  I was told if I planned to travel I would need to have the 3 Mil policy in order to get back in Thailand on my current retirement visa.  The new possible law sounds like it may make the 3 Mil policy required even for renewing your retirement visa.  Of course this is not law yet so it could change.  Have to wait and see what happens over the next couple months I guess.

I hear there are agents who can get around the immigration insurance requirement for "a fee " but I prefer to do things the proper way.    

- John

28 minutes ago, Soidog9 said:

Sorry if you are confused.  Last year for renewing retirement visa a 3 Million Baht insurance policy was required IF you planned to travel & leave and re-enter Thailand during that 12 month visa period.

I'm not confused and sorry you appear to have been scammed by someone last year.

30 minutes ago, Soidog9 said:

So if the new 3 Million levis for all new and existing retired persons  it would only be an increase for persons not planning to travel.

It's not all new and existing retired persons.

6 minutes ago, Soidog9 said:

Last year immigration required an insurance policy of 3 Mil to enter Thailand for O-A however if you were already here and renewing they said 400,000 is fine.

You want 1,600,000 baht change.
The requirement for Health Insurance for extensions based on an O-A Visa always has been and still is 400/40K baht. No change to Immigration requirements as yet.
548-2562 (2019) change clause 2.22 327-2557 O-A Ins ENG-THAi.pdf

(6) Only for an alien, who has been granted Non Immigrant Visa Class O-A, must buy a Thai health insurance online, which covers the length of stay in the Kingdom with no less than 40,000 baht coverage for outpatient treatment and no less than 400,000 baht for inpatient, via the website longstay.tgia.org

There has been no official announcement regarding the start date of requiring 3M baht Health Insurance.

16 minutes ago, Faz said:

I'm not confused and sorry you appear to have been scammed by someone last year.

It's not all new and existing retired persons.

You want 1,600,000 baht change.
The requirement for Health Insurance for extensions based on an O-A Visa always has been and still is 400/40K baht. No change to Immigration requirements as yet.
548-2562 (2019) change clause 2.22 327-2557 O-A Ins ENG-THAi.pdf

(6) Only for an alien, who has been granted Non Immigrant Visa Class O-A, must buy a Thai health insurance online, which covers the length of stay in the Kingdom with no less than 40,000 baht coverage for outpatient treatment and no less than 400,000 baht for inpatient, via the website longstay.tgia.org

There has been no official announcement regarding the start date of requiring 3M baht Health Insurance.

Faz ~  

Yes immigration requires 400,000 / 40,000 coverage for your retirement renewal but it seems all foreign passengers arriving into Thailand are required to show $100,000 USD  medical coverage that includes Covid.  I did not travel last year so I am not 100% sure this is a problem when re-entering the country.   Did you exit and re-enter Thailand last year?    Maybe you can shed some light on this? Thanks

This is from thre Thai consulate in Los Angeles - USA.  

image.thumb.png.149d8e984a193ba637f2b09b5a7920c7.png

1 hour ago, Soidog9 said:

Last year immigration required an insurance policy of 3 Mil to enter Thailand for O-A

That was never the case and if you entered under that premise then it was incorrect.  The new rule isn't due to take effect until ~Sept '22, if at all.

53 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

That was never the case and if you entered under that premise then it was incorrect.  The new rule isn't due to take effect until ~Sept '22, if at all.

I understood it was due to Covid-19 insurance required to get into Thailand.  It is really hard to get good information regarding immigrations policies sometimes because Consulates & immigration offices seem to  have conflicting rules. 

3 minutes ago, Soidog9 said:

I understood it was due to Covid-19 insurance required to get into Thailand.  It is really hard to get good information regarding immigrations policies sometimes because Consulates & immigration offices seem to  have conflicting rules. 

Luckily we have Faz !👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soidog9 said:

Now I understand your issue and the confusion.

There are two separate Insurance requirements.
1. The mandatory general Health Insurance required for Non O-A Visa applications and extensions of stay from that Visa type, which is currently 400,000 inpatient, 40,000 outpatient THB, to cover accident, illness, surgery.

2 The mandatory Covid Insurance applicable to all inbound foreigners to Thailand, which is currently $100,000 USD to cover the treatment of Covid.

What Immigration told you last year was that if you went back to the UK, to re-enter you'd also require the additional  $100,000 USD Covid Insurance. However quoting this type of Insurance in BHT causes confusion.

The general Health Insurance for the Non O-A Visa and extensions, is on every website quoted as BHT. Whereas the Covid Insurance for entry into Thailand, is on every website quoted in USD.

Changes:
From Nov 1st 2021, the current $100,000 USD Covid Insurance for entry to Thailand is being reduced to the lesser figure of only $50,000 USD.

It's also been approved to increase the current general Health Insurance from the current 400/40K Non O-A Visa and extension applications from that Visa type to 3 million BHT. Certain news outlets have suggested this will be effective from Sept 2022, but as yet there has been no confirmation from either the MFA or Thai Immigration. In this regard it's a complete cluster f***.
It's been suggested but not clear that the new general Health Insurance of 3M BHT will also be inclusive of Covid cover - an all in one policy.

Even the Thai Embassies appear to be in disarray regarding the general Health Insurance requirement for the Non O-A Visa applications.

The Thai Embassy USA, states:
2.10 Additional health insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant O-A / O-X (Long Stay)

The Thai Embassy UK states:

The Thai Embassy Canberra Australia states:
3.5 Health Insurance

Someone's seriously lost the plot and it isn't me!

• Like 3

On 10/20/2021 at 8:14 AM, AussieBob said:

There was a lot of media stories some years ago - many hospitals complained - they sent a delegation to see the Junta Govt about losing money over the period of many previous years.  After 'consultation' with the Thai health insurance industry, the Junta announced the mandatory insurance for O-A Visas.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/advanced/217882/destitute-foreigners-and-thailand-hospitals

Additionally, there has been a lot of uninsured tourists visiting Thailand and ending up costing the hospitals (and themselves) a lot of money.  This issue has become a big one too for many years - and the flow on the long term Expats is inevitable. 

UK manhttps://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2018/10/24/uk-man-stranded-in-thailand-facing-a-100000-medical-bill-may-be-rescued-by-crowd-funding-success/

We have two different worlds: In Thailand foreigners are blamed for a few unpaid medical bills and the government response is to charge unreasonable insurance premiums to everybody spending time and money in Thailand. In Western Europe migrants enter illegally, get financial assistance for food and lodging and free healthcare, even when denied asylum and waiting for their appeal.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 10:21 PM, Faz said:

Now I understand your issue and the confusion.

There are two separate Insurance requirements.
1. The mandatory general Health Insurance required for Non O-A Visa applications and extensions of stay from that Visa type, which is currently 400,000 inpatient, 40,000 outpatient THB, to cover accident, illness, surgery.

2 The mandatory Covid Insurance applicable to all inbound foreigners to Thailand, which is currently $100,000 USD to cover the treatment of Covid.

What Immigration told you last year was that if you went back to the UK, to re-enter you'd also require the additional  $100,000 USD Covid Insurance. However quoting this type of Insurance in BHT causes confusion.

The general Health Insurance for the Non O-A Visa and extensions, is on every website quoted as BHT. Whereas the Covid Insurance for entry into Thailand, is on every website quoted in USD.

Changes:
From Nov 1st 2021, the current $100,000 USD Covid Insurance for entry to Thailand is being reduced to the lesser figure of only $50,000 USD.

It's also been approved to increase the current general Health Insurance from the current 400/40K Non O-A Visa and extension applications from that Visa type to 3 million BHT. Certain news outlets have suggested this will be effective from Sept 2022, but as yet there has been no confirmation from either the MFA or Thai Immigration. In this regard it's a complete cluster f***.
It's been suggested but not clear that the new general Health Insurance of 3M BHT will also be inclusive of Covid cover - an all in one policy.

Even the Thai Embassies appear to be in disarray regarding the general Health Insurance requirement for the Non O-A Visa applications.

The Thai Embassy USA, states:
2.10 Additional health insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant O-A / O-X (Long Stay)

The Thai Embassy UK states:

The Thai Embassy Canberra Australia states:
3.5 Health Insurance

Someone's seriously lost the plot and it isn't me!

Faz ~  Thanks for clearing that up.  We will have to wait and see what they put into law next year I guess.  Just seems to be a bit of the normal organized chaos.    555

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, Craig said:

I’m thinking why don’t all countries require expats to have health insurance?  Why should citizens of that country pay the health bills of the expats who can’t or refuse?  To me, it not a matter of wanting farang here or not wanting farang here.  It’s about being insured so your health bills are paid by YOU.  

Because forcing people to buy insurance does not solve the problem you describe. 1) Insurance policies exclude pre-existing conditions or anything related to them. And that is what any insured person is most likely to get treatment for. So, in that case, all the requirement for insurance does is displace money to an insurance company that could otherwise be used to pay for treatment. 2) I have never met anybody in Thailand who did not pay for their medical treatment. Thai hospitals will not treat you unless you pay for treatment up front. 3) I believe it was only a couple of months ago that the Thai government added a fee on to aircraft arrivals. This 500 baht fee they said was so Thailand could recover the costs of treating tourists without insurance or sufficient funds. Now, they want to add the scam insurance in addition to the 500 baht fee. 4) Having the required Thai insurance doesn't actually insure anything. A couple of weeks ago, when too many people were filing claims for Covid policies, one insurance company just decided to up and quit and not pay. So much for hospitals getting their money. The policy holder/victim is right back to being forced to pay again--minus the money wasted on insurance.  5) The only thing this requirement will do is remove the amount of money retirees currently have to pay their medical bills. Otherwise the situation remains as it is, except of course many people will be aged out of being able to acquire any insurance, no matter the cost. 6) And nobody is going to be able to skip out on their medical debts. Immigration has all your residential and banking information. Nobody is going to get away with anything.

Edited by Metaluna
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 11:52 AM, ThailandBob said:

Look, the Thai government is looking for HiSo long stay retirees, who they figure can afford the cost.

Any country that is going to bring in 20 to 30 million lower middle class Chinese in for tourism every year is going to be utterly incompatible with an expat retirement policy that targets 1 million gazillionaires over five years time. Those people expect Monaco, Cannes, and Switzerland. Whatever the merits or demerits of Thailand, it will never fit into that particular group of places.

6 minutes ago, Metaluna said:

Any country that is going to bring in 20 to 30 million lower middle class Chinese in for tourism every year is going to be utterly incompatible with an expat retirement policy that targets 1 million gazillionaires over five years time. Those people expect Monaco, Cannes, and Switzerland. Whatever the merits or demerits of Thailand, it will never fit into that particular group of places.

I think you'll find forcing a western concept such as a 'class' system on the Chinese is doomed to failure.

2 hours ago, Metaluna said:

5) The only thing this requirement will do is remove the amount of money retirees currently have to pay their medical bills. Otherwise the situation remains as it is, except of course many people will be aged out of being able to acquire any insurance, no matter the cost. 6) And nobody is going to be able to skip out on their medical debts. Immigration has all your residential and banking information. Nobody is going to get away with anything.

Well-said. Apparently, as retirees here, we're simply not spending enough money.  So, a scheme had to be cooked up to get more of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Metaluna said:

2) I have never met anybody in Thailand who did not pay for their medical treatment. Thai hospitals will not treat you unless you pay for treatment up front.

And if your incapacitated, unable to respond, require emergency surgery, life support - what then?

4 hours ago, Metaluna said:

Because forcing people to buy insurance does not solve the problem you describe. 1) Insurance policies exclude pre-existing conditions or anything related to them. And that is what any insured person is most likely to get treatment for. So, in that case, all the requirement for insurance does is displace money to an insurance company that could otherwise be used to pay for treatment. 2) I have never met anybody in Thailand who did not pay for their medical treatment. Thai hospitals will not treat you unless you pay for treatment up front. 3) I believe it was only a couple of months ago that the Thai government added a fee on to aircraft arrivals. This 500 baht fee they said was so Thailand could recover the costs of treating tourists without insurance or sufficient funds. Now, they want to add the scam insurance in addition to the 500 baht fee. 4) Having the required Thai insurance doesn't actually insure anything. A couple of weeks ago, when too many people were filing claims for Covid policies, one insurance company just decided to up and quit and not pay. So much for hospitals getting their money. The policy holder/victim is right back to being forced to pay again--minus the money wasted on insurance.  5) The only thing this requirement will do is remove the amount of money retirees currently have to pay their medical bills. Otherwise the situation remains as it is, except of course many people will be aged out of being able to acquire any insurance, no matter the cost. 6) And nobody is going to be able to skip out on their medical debts. Immigration has all your residential and banking information. Nobody is going to get away with anything.

I see that @KaptainRob thankfully changed the title of the thread to refer to "O-A" visas only and I also see that the article has been changed by the Thaiger to reflect that so there's no doubt.

THANK  YOU!

To try to put it into perspective, @Metaluna , @ThailandBob , and anyone else who sees this as a "scam" it may be worth not only reminding people of what @Faz has been saying repeatedly - that you can cancel your 'O-A' visa and get an 'O' relatively easily - but my saying how it was explained by our local head of immigration to a particularly obnoxious and belligerent farang on an O-A visa /retirement extension who was complaining about having to pay for his insurance a couple of years ago when I didn't as I have an O visa / retirement extension, since he said that he'd "forgotten" to bring his policy.

As she tried to explain to him, I thought very patiently and perfectly logically, as I was on an O visa / retirement extension I had to keep a minimum of 400,000 baht in my bank account at all times, which was specifically in case of any medical expenses as had been widely publicised when the change was made as justification. They knew that the money was there, so if necessary it could be accessed even after my demise to pay for any bills.

He, on the other hand, had no requirement to have any money in an account in Thailand and they had no means of either verifying his funds overseas or of accessing them if necessary, which was why they needed those like him to have an approved and verifiable insurance policy.

She then went on to explain to him, exactly as @Faz has done, that he always had the option of an O visa and retirement extensions instead if he wanted to.

Unsurprisingly he left without an extension, and afterwards the Immigration staff just smiled, rolled their eyes, and I overheard the head of immigration saying that if he hadn't wanted to argue about it they'd have given him a year's extension anyway as long as he'd got either the insurance policy or an O visa by next year.

That really doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

2 hours ago, Faz said:

5 hours ago, Metaluna said:

2) (snip) Thai hospitals will not treat you unless you pay for treatment up front.

And if your incapacitated, unable to respond, require emergency surgery, life support - what then?

I've never paid for any treatment in a Thai government hospital, local or provincial, "up front", and in private hospitals such as Bangkok Hospital group I've always just been advised of the cost then paid afterwards - although for anything major I know they expect verified insurance or "up front" payments, as you say - as they do from anyone else.

On a couple of occasions when I've needed A&E treatment out of working hours in the local state hospital and the cashier wasn't there, they simply asked me to pay next time I came in and to tell the cashier.

Different hospitals may well have different policies and different people a different experience, though.

If you're incapacitated, etc, then it's up to your Next of Kin or whoever else you've nominated to give instructions - and in their absence, there's always the insurance policy for "O-A retirees" and the 400,000 in your account for "O retirees".

10 minutes ago, Stonker said:

As she tried to explain to him, I thought very patiently and perfectly logically, as I was on an O visa / retirement extension I had to keep a minimum of 400,000 baht in my bank account at all times, which was specifically in case of any medical expenses as had been widely publicised when the change was made as justification. They knew that the money was there, so if necessary it could be accessed even after my demise to pay for any bills.

The financial requirement for an extension based on retirement is 800K THB, 400K TH based on Thai spouse, unless your using the combination method, 400K THB and 12 x 35K monthly transfers = 800K THB, unless of course your 'grandfathered' being in Thailand consecutively before October 21, 1998.

15 minutes ago, Stonker said:

He, on the other hand, had no requirement to have any money in an account in Thailand and they had no means of either verifying his funds overseas or of accessing them if necessary, which was why they needed those like him to have an approved and verifiable insurance policy.

If he originally had a Non O-A Visa and wanted a 1 year extension, he'd also need to provide proof of 800K in a Thai bank account, as well as the mandatory 400/40K THB Health Insurance.

18 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I've never paid for any treatment in a Thai government hospital, local or provincial, "up front", and in private hospitals such as Bangkok Hospital group I've always just been advised of the cost then paid afterwards - although for anything major I know they expect verified insurance or "up front" payments, as you say - as they do from anyone else.

Same experience as you.

19 minutes ago, Stonker said:

If you're incapacitated, etc, then it's up to your Next of Kin or whoever else you've nominated to give instructions - and in their absence, there's always the insurance policy for "O-A retirees" and the 400,000 in your account for "O retirees".

Some don't have a next of kin, or made any provisions should they decease.
Therein lies part of the issue.

I can understand the requirement for a mandatory Health Insurance for the Non O-A Visa application as that Visa effectively allows them to stay in Thailand for almost two years without any necessity of even having a Thai bank account. I do not understand the requirement when they apply for extensions based on retirement, at which point they must provide evidence of finances in a Thai bank.

There are other areas within Thailand's Immigration system that allows foreigners to stay in Thailand without proof of finances or Thai bank accounts, that remain unchallenged or questioned, yet are much more likely to result in the ability to pay hospital bills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faz said:

The financial requirement for an extension based on retirement is 800K THB, 400K TH based on Thai spouse, unless your using the combination method, 400K THB and 12 x 35K monthly transfers = 800K THB, (snip)

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.

The 400k she was referring to was the 400k, from the 800k, that I keep in the bank all year round as a minimum. He'd complained using me as an example, so she simply told him why I didn't need an insurance policy but he did.

I'm just repeating what she said, and it seemed /still seems perfectly reasonable to me.

2 hours ago, Faz said:

Some don't have a next of kin, or made any provisions should they decease.
Therein lies part of the issue.

Agreed, potentially it's an issue but I've got doubts about just how much of an issue it is in real terms - a private hospital just won't take someone like that, or they'll just switch them off if they're being treated and they go into a coma with no sign of being able to pay, and I doubt state hospitals will over exert themselves with no one encouraging them.

That's probably not unique to Thailand, but that's a very different issue as you rightly said.

2 hours ago, Faz said:

I can understand the requirement for a mandatory Health Insurance for the Non O-A Visa application as that Visa effectively allows them to stay in Thailand for almost two years without any necessity of even having a Thai bank account. I do not understand the requirement when they apply for extensions based on retirement, at which point they must provide evidence of finances in a Thai bank.

As I recall her explaining it at the time, and up until then I'd never really had any interest in an O-A visa as IIRC I've been on an O since I came here in my 30's, she told him that an "O-A retirement" was primarily intended for those wanting a one or two year stay, arranged abroad, after which they'd usually go home then either come back again with another "O-A retirement" for another year or two, or come back with an "O" which they'd then get retirement extensions on if they weren't intending to return home later.

The O-A, as she explained it, was never intended for an indefinite stay while the O was, and people were simply mis-using the O-A visa hence the difference.

Taken on those grounds, that seems to make sense.

2 hours ago, Faz said:

There are other areas within Thailand's Immigration system that allows foreigners to stay in Thailand without proof of finances or Thai bank accounts, that remain unchallenged or questioned, yet are much more likely to result in the ability to pay hospital bills.

Agreed absolutely, but I don't think that 'they can get away with it on their visas so why can't I on an A-O' is really a very good argument for those on O-A visas, and in my view those kicking up a stink on those grounds are far more likely to result in things being made worse for many rather than better for a few, so rather like the goat herder complaining about his medical bills some farangs here are our own worst enemies.

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, Faz said:

Typical interest on a Savings account is 0.5%.
A 12 month fixed term account typically offers 1.2%.

Again, different immigration offices = different rules.

I'd had the money that I'd used for my 800k in a deposit / limited access account for years without any problem at all, then a couple of years ago my immigration office decided it had to only be in a current account with regular transactions in and out, even though I had 10 -12 mill in the account with TMB and just took some out every few months transferring it to a smaller account with Kasikorn.

It wasn't a problem as they still gave me the extension for another year, but it meant that after that I had to keep more in Kasikorn at 0% interest instead which TMB weren't over impressed with.