News Forum - Thailand to require 3 million baht insurance for non- OA immigrant visas

Thaiger

5 hours ago, Johno said:

And of course  the 800,000 baht  required in a thai bank with no interest 

Typical interest on a Savings account is 0.5%.
A 12 month fixed term account typically offers 1.2%.

• Like 1

Hi Anyone know of the new 50000 insurance providers?

They changed the requirement from 3 million to 1.5 million for vaccinated traveller. 

Are there are any providers for the 1.5 million insurance for COE?

6 minutes ago, Jacob23 said:

Hi Anyone know of the new 50000 insurance providers?

They changed the requirement from 3 million to 1.5 million for vaccinated traveller. 

Are there are any providers for the 1.5 million insurance for COE?

From Nov 1st, the requirement is $50,000 USD, down from $100,000 USD for the Covid Insurance.
You can use any Insurance company for this policy.
If flying Emirates they offer a free inclusive Covid Insurance package.

Many of the Insurers are still quoting for the $100,000, so beware when getting an estimate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Faz said:

From Nov 1st, the requirement is $50,000 USD, down from $100,000 USD for the Covid Insurance.
You can use any Insurance company for this policy.
If flying Emirates they offer a free inclusive Covid Insurance package.

Many of the Insurers are still quoting for the $100,000, so beware when getting an estimate.

In terms of the Non OA they are all only quoting for 3 million baht cover currently.

Does anyone know if the reduced 1.5 million baht will also apply to the Non OA visa?

1 hour ago, ThairdOfBS said:

Does anyone know if the reduced 1.5 million baht will also apply to the Non OA visa?

Answered in a PM.

The reduction from the currently required $100,000USD Covid Insurance, to $50,000 USD from Nov 1st has nothing to do with Visa types, it's a requirement for all foreigners wishing to enter Thailand.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:04 PM, AussieBob said:

That is true as already pointed out it does not apply (yet) for O Visa - only for O-A Visa. Bujt if/when it does the problem is that your existing policy will be non-compliant because it does not cover outpatient expenses  and well as inpatient expenses.  It is the outpatient coverage that makes the mandatory insurance plans so expensive (and so profitable).  Plus, as far as I am aware your current policy does not have a maximum coverage of only 400K per event - I believe that it is a much higher per event coverage (I have received a quote from Pacific Cross before, and they are recommended by Expats I know).  The insurance coverage required for O-A Visas is a huge ripoff and IMO is a scam - it is no co-incidence that the inpatient coverage has been (allegedly) increased to 3 Million Baht - that matches the $100,000 USD mandatory Covid coverage currently required for tourists visiting Thailand (and will probably remain in place for a long long time). 

I note that the insurance coverage for Tourists has now been dropped to $50K USD coverage from November 1.  Given that so many pundits claimed that the increase for O-A Visa Expats was made to 3 million baht to align it with that required for tourists ($100K USD), then I wonder if/when the Junta will also drop the insurance coverage amount mandated for retired O-A Expats?  If they do change it back down, then I might even think that the Junta is treating Expats fairly and reasonably - but I wont hold my breath while waiting. 

6 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I note that the insurance coverage for Tourists has now been dropped to $50K USD coverage from November 1.  Given that so many pundits claimed that the increase for O-A Visa Expats was made to 3 million baht to align it with that required for tourists ($100K USD), then I wonder if/when the Junta will also drop the insurance coverage amount mandated for retired O-A Expats?  If they do change it back down, then I might even think that the Junta is treating Expats fairly and reasonably - but I wont hold my breath while waiting. 

Two different Insurance policies covering different circumstances Bob.

5 minutes ago, Faz said:

Two different Insurance policies covering different circumstances Bob.

You can believe what you like Faz - but I believe that they increased it to 3 million baht to match the $100K USD for tourists (@ 30 Baht per 1 USD). Do you have any definitive proof otherwise - if not then you can say it is a coincidence, whereas I say they saw the discrepancy and that is why they increased the amount from 400K to 3 Million - an increase of 650% !!  

The $100,000 USD is for all foreigners entering Thailand, not simply Tourists, reducing to $50,000 USD from Nov 1st. This is Insurance for the treatment of Covid 19.
For entry to Thailand.

The 400/40K THB Health Insurance applicable only to the 'long term' Visa types, increasing to 3M THB for the treatment of accidents, illness, surgical procedures. (And I believe in future will be inclusive of Covid Ins).
For Visa and extension applications.

Different as chalk and cheese.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

You can believe what you like Faz - but I believe that they increased it to 3 million baht to match the $100K USD for tourists (@ 30 Baht per 1 USD). Do you have any definitive proof otherwise - if not then you can say it is a coincidence, whereas I say they saw the discrepancy and that is why they increased the amount from 400K to 3 Million - an increase of 650% !!  

Sorry Bob, but you are wrong on this one. I have been following it closely, not only for my own travels next year, but for daughters who want to visit Thailand in December.

4 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Sorry Bob, but you are wrong on this one. I have been following it closely, not only for my own travels next year, but for daughters who want to visit Thailand in December.

Surely not.

There must be some mistake. 😄

• Haha 3

Every one should put away their Thai Insurance Requirements crystal balls.

If you live in Thailand, you know the Thai's make the rules the way they see fit.

You have two choices, to abide by the rules or move out.

No sense worrying about it now; unless you have no way to leave IF you ever had to in the future for any reason.

3 hours ago, Faz said:

The $100,000 USD is for all foreigners entering Thailand, not simply Tourists, reducing to $50,000 USD from Nov 1st. This is Insurance for the treatment of Covid 19.
For entry to Thailand.

My i suggest you list or work with insurance companies to list costs from  a bare bone s almost throw away policy (i.e dirt cheap) to more expensive for returning travellers

1 hour ago, poohy said:

My i suggest you list or work with insurance companies to list costs from  a bare bone s almost throw away policy (i.e dirt cheap) to more expensive for returning travellers

I have nothing to do with any Insurance company.
The cheapest Covid Insurance policy is free from Emirates.
Can't get much cheaper than free.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chaimai said:

You are saying that they increased it by 650% for what reason??

5 hours ago, Faz said:

Its in the ticket price. Just in case you didnt realise that - nothing is free.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TukTuk said:

Every one should put away their Thai Insurance Requirements crystal balls.

If you live in Thailand, you know the Thai's make the rules the way they see fit.

You have two choices, to abide by the rules or move out.

No sense worrying about it now; unless you have no way to leave IF you ever had to in the future for any reason.

Third choice - join and Expat Forum and vent your frustrations to like-minded Expats (and others).

I have found that the people who are 'stuck' in Thailand, are the ones who just ignore everything and dont care about it (Mai Pen Rai).   It is exactly because they have learned what you said about the Thais making up the rules as they go - they know that there is no use worrying about it because they cannot leave anyway.  Whereas there are others of us that do have options, and we are the ones more likely to vent our frustrations and express our feelings. 

No right or wrong - all just opinions. Except Poolie - he is always right, because he never says anything.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Faz said:

For entry to Thailand.

The 400/40K THB Health Insurance applicable only to the 'long term' Visa types, increasing to 3M THB for the treatment of accidents, illness, surgical procedures. (And I believe in future will be inclusive of Covid Ins).
For Visa and extension applications.

Different as chalk and cheese.

Same question - why did they increase it by 650%??

7 hours ago, Faz said:

But the ticket Is not free is it  so how can insurance be free .nonsense

Eg If emirates flight is 20k more than another Airline the insurance is 20 k

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

You are saying that they increased it by 650% for what reason??

No...I am saying that they didn't increase it by 650%

5 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Well thanks for the obvious and enlightenment Bob.
I mentioned it only in reply to @poohy who wants someone to do the research on Insurance price differences on his behalf.

5 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Same question - why did they increase it by 650%??

No idea Bob, you'd have to ask the MFA and Immigration.

Never have I stated I agree with it, I just state it as it is.
The change only affects a small number of foreigners and there are alternative options available.
If my original Visa had been a Non Imm O-A, my priority now would be to obtain a Non O Visa to rid myself of any mandatory Health Insurance.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AussieBob said:

If you book a return flight with Emirates, the Insurance is valid for the duration of your stay in Thailand.
It's a comprehensive Travel Insurance policy, covering far more than just treatment from Covid.

There are cheaper flights available, but then you'd need to purchase a separate Covid Insurance policy and a separate Travel Insurance policy (optional). More hurdles to jump through. Emirates offer a very good comprehensive Travel Insurance policy obtained by merely booking through them. Free or inclusive of the airfare price it should be seriously considered.

• Like 4

Confused here, can someone confirm this for me please?

I am here on an Non Imm O based on retirement and get annual extensions, number 5 next week.

If I take a trip to the UK and come back after a few weeks ........

1) Do I buy Thai covid insurance from the list to cover me for the remaining time on my extension of stay.?

2) Cover is for $50k USD for Covid only.

3) I can just go for the cheapest policy as I already have good UK health insurance.

4) I will need a Thailand Pass and PCR test results

5) I can use a standard re-entry permit which I will buy when I do my renewal next wee,

6) If no changes, I need to book a one night stay in a quarantine hotel.

Thanks