News Forum - Thailand to require 3 million baht insurance for non- OA immigrant visas

Thaiger

That's a little steep for the average 70+ year old. Locking up $100k USD just for insurance (to self insure). That would be an expectation of a extraordinary claim to have to require that kind of money at the ready. I'd be interested to know that the typical medical bill is for the old-timers staying in THA now. Unless your premiums are greater that $600 USD per month this scheme wouldn't even make financial sense. On its face, this idea is not going to help or interest many people.

2 hours ago, vvdb.fr said:

It is not incoherent because Thailand wants wealthy tourists. this multiplication by 8 will annoy only the penniless.

What is inconsistent are the airports expansions for more tourists !

i guess most expats retirees in this country are neither too poor nor quite wealthy? coz probably the wealthy will face the following  reality check apart from getting a.visa :: air
pollution (
can easily download air quality app.to check
daily) can.be quite serious, water
quality (local people do.not drink from
tap water), public drainage system problem (try avoid living in high risk big flood
area),  world ranking in public road
safety, also avoid living too near sky
train station (noise level) or too far
away (too hot to walk long distance

actually to be effective n fairly administered, the easiest and direct  way is to blacklist and not issue visas to those expats not settle their hospital bills, rather than target a particular group of retirees holding OA visa for mandatory insurance, after all, insurers usually exclude all pre-existing health issues for protection, and reimbursement often capped at maximum, so if those evaded payments in the past due to large medical bills, they are still likely to defraud with or without mandatory insurance. 

• 3 weeks later...

thats the most stupid move ive heard so far. most farang already have insurance in their home country that will cover any thai hospital bill.but thai dont accept it without a thai form submitted which usa insurance companies wont fill out because of the leagel wording.this is nuts.

My home country insurance paid for my son to be born 24 years ago. 2 days, private hospital, private room with balcony, etc. 13,000 Baht. The wife and I are still here but plan to retire in 2 years. Looking very seriously at Costa Rica. I would never retire here.....unless..No,..never.          

• Like 1