News Forum - Thailand to require 3 million baht insurance for non- OA immigrant visas

Thaiger

In a revision to the rules for non-immigrant visas, foreigners will now be required to hold a minimum of 3 million baht in health insurance in order to be eligible for long-term stays in Thailand, 8 times more than the 400,000 baht that has been previously required. The new rule was announced yesterday by Deputy Minister of Public Health Satit Pitutacha, saying that the increase in insurance is necessary to make sure that, should a traveller get ill during their one year in the country, more insurance money available is necessary to guarantee they receive the proper treatment. The massively […]

The story Thailand requires 3 million baht insurance for non-immigrant visas as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Wow this will make staying here long term more attractive!🙃.. I wonder what the numbers that can't afford treatment if they live here from the 3768.. and not all but many companies don't insure over 70 year old's or premiums are extremely high.. 

• Like 2

This is going to greatly reduce the people who want to come to Thailand to retire. Much cheaper to retire in the Philippines and the cost of everything is already much lower there. This is not a very smart move. It may even cause a lot of people living in Thailand to leave the country. It certainly won't help the economy but only help the insurance companies.

I was considering retiring in Thailand but now I'm rethinking it with other options.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Wow this will make staying here long term more attractive!🙃.. I wonder what the numbers that can't afford treatment if they live here from the 3768.. and not all but many companies don't insure over 70 year old's or premiums are extremely high.. 

Also pre existing conditions 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

i may be wrong, but it will only apply to new visas, issued by overseas consulates. Will not apply to existing visa extensions 

Rumoured elsewhere that extensions ( retirement from an original OA ) before Aug 31st 2022 will be exempt, from 1st Sept 2022 the insurance is required .

( mine is sept 25th ☹️)

Edited by Faz
edited removing non permitted reference
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Rumoured on the other forum that extensions ( retirement from an original OA ) before Aug 31st 2022 will be exempt, from 1st Sept 2022 the insurance is required .

yes, referred to Aetna quote, same was said last year about 400K coverage, i renewed mine without showing any insurance coverage, even tho i had one. I am on Jan 2022 renewal

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The massively increased insurance requirement would be for foreigners with a non-immigrant visa including O Visas and A Visas staying up to one year inside of Thailand.

In Thai PBS  World "Source article", where does it say it's both O visas and A Visas?

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/non-immigrant-visa-applicants-required-to-have-3m-health-insurance/

• Like 3

Although only the Non Imm O-A Visa is mentioned, this will also certainly apply to the Non Imm O-X Visa, both of which are long term type Visas. It will not apply to Non Imm O applications.

The change has been approved by the Thai cabinet, but until published in the Royal Gazette is not official. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Think it’s only OA visas .

Does an A visa even exist ??

I agree, probably only for OA visas.

I've never heard of any A visa untill now, unless it's the new visa for wealthy foreigners😂..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

i may be wrong, but it will only apply to new visas, issued by overseas consulates. Will not apply to existing visa extensions 

I wouldn't count on that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I agree, probably only for OA visas.

I've never heard of any A visa untill now, unless it's the new visa for wealthy foreigners😂..

Affluent visa ? 😬

• Haha 4

This decision must have been part of the "Amazing Thailand" ad campaign. Look, the Thai government is looking for HiSo long stay retirees, who they figure can afford the cost.

The starting cost for these plans assume you've never had any issues -- not as much as a sneeze. Someone with hypertension or cardiac history, or heaven forbid cancer in remission need not apply.

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

In Thai PBS  World "Source article", where does it say it's both O visas and A Visas?

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/non-immigrant-visa-applicants-required-to-have-3m-health-insurance/

Poorly worded.

It means the Non Imm O Visa with the A prefix (Non Imm O-A Visa)

O = Other (entry to Thailand 'other' than those listed in 1-14 of section 34 of the Immigration Act)
A = Annual (permits a stay of 1 year on entry as opposed to the 90 days on a basic Non O Visa)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beta said:

Hi In the initial reporting it said Non 0-A visa which is different and NonO visa with  marriage does not require health insurance. Please clarify ?

Agree ! It looks like misinformation .This reporter says OA retirement!

Then they went on to say O space  A retirement!  O visa  based on marriage shouldn’t be confused with a retirement!

I to hope this reporting is wrong and the mods fix it or confirm it’s validity 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

Why change things that do not need a change... stupid

To be fair, it's a half baked story again without necessarily detail, not even copied correctly from the source. But it did what was intended, get the foreigners up in arms before anything is clear.

It may only be for new visa applications and may be that too many hospital bills remain unpaid with just 400k coverage.

Let's not speculate until the detail is here as they're not going to be swayed by the forum anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reading this Topic makes me grateful that I now have PR.It took 5 years to get final ok and I have now had it for 10 yrs. I do think that 100k USD is excessive base on my experince with procedures i have had at Thai private hospitals .

11 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

To be fair, it's a half baked story again without necessarily detail, not even copied correctly from the source. But it did what was intended, get the foreigners up in arms before anything is clear.

It may only be for new visa applications and may be that too many hospital bills remain unpaid with just 400k coverage.

The proposal has already been approved by the Thai cabinet, meaning this is highly likely, almost certainly to become a requirement when published in the Royal Gazette.
Insurance companies have already been busy with the new policy prices.

It definitely applies to Non Imm O-A Visa applications from Thai Embassies and will almost certainly also apply to annual extensions of stay based on an original Non O-A Visa.

The answer is to either apply for a Non Imm O Visa (subject to availability) from a Thai Embassy, or if on an annual extension of stay exit without a re-entry permit, immediately killing your current permission of stay, then re-enter VE, TV (apply for Non O at Immigration) or enter with a Non O.

Hopefully local borders will open before Sept 2022 to enable the above procedure(s).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are doing an excellent job of running this country into the ground and increasing the disdain of them by the Thai and foreigners alike. Wife says Thai are getting severely ticked off for them trying to suck extra money by taxes. Keep it up and they won't have anything left to run as this country will be given a wide berth. 

• Like 5