News Forum - Cabinet approves long-stay visa regulations as Thailand seeks more foreign investment

Thaiger

As Thailand prepares to re-open without quarantine to select vaccinated tourists, 2 draft regulations related to long-stay visas have been approved in principle. According to a Bangkok Post report, the long-stay visa programme aims to attract 300 billion baht in foreign investment as the government tries to kick-start the economy. Spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul says the Interior Ministry issued the draft regulations which Cabinet approved in principle yesterday. The first regulation relates to foreigners obtaining the Thai Privilege Card, under which the Elite Visa is granted. The second regulation would grant TPC holders an extended stay in Thailand for work purposes. […]

The story Cabinet approves long-stay visa regulations as Thailand seeks more foreign investment as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand predicts the programme could attract around 10,000 foreign investors, meaning around 300 billion baht for the Thai economy."

Er... What?

I am, or at least I thought I was, immune to shock from TAT, but 300 Billion Baht?

Why not just make up new numbers instead; they'd be more believable.

"TAT says Thailand will receive 63 Megatronisticillion Baht in investment over the next Hukkier years."

Speechless...

Edited by Shade_Wilder
Smelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand predicts the programme could attract around 10,000 foreign investors, meaning around 300 billion baht for the Thai economy.

Hello, earth calling TAT!

• Haha 3

Yes good idea, because the foreigners have to pay for many things a higher price in thailand, only the Elite l mean the Chinese will come in. 

• Haha 2

"According to a Bangkok Post report, the long-stay visa programme aims to attract 300 billion baht in foreign investment"

Amazingly obsessed with money. Still counting their chickens before they've hatched! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

"According to a Bangkok Post report, the long-stay visa programme aims to attract 300 billion baht in foreign investment"

Amazingly obsessed with money. Still counting their chickens before they've hatched! 

And getting 6 chickens out of each egg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I also read today thet the non O-A insurance cover has been increased from 400k to 3 million baht.

This will presumably mean higher premiums.

Welcome mat this is not.

• Like 1

Who in their right mind would invest 1millon dollars just to get a Thailand work permit, who dreams up these things and already counting the profits from this scheme lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

they haven't got chickens or eggs to count yet

Edited by palooka
additional wording
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I also read today thet the non O-A insurance cover has been increased from 400k to 3 million baht.

This will presumably mean higher premiums.

Welcome mat this is not.

Is that 3 million not just for Covid cover? I could get a heart transplant for 3 million.  

12 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Is that 3 million not just for Covid cover? I could get a heart transplant for 3 million.  

From Pattaya Expats FB page, can't find an official link.

Foreigners applying for non-immigrant (O-A) visas for stays in Thailand of up to one year are now required to have a health insurance policy with minimum coverage of three million baht for in-patient medical fees, instead of the previous 400,000 baht.

19 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

You might need one when you see how much the premiums will be

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

And getting 6 chickens out of each egg.

Even 30 million out of each golden egg 😆

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

... foreign nationals would have to invest at least 30 million baht in exchange for a 1-year work permit.

Why would anyone do that?

Why would anyone want to work in Thailand for a year so much that they'd invest 30 million baht / $1,000,000 to do so?

Normally I can follow some sort of logic or reasoning with these 'ideas', but I just can't imagine why anyone would do that ... or why 10,000 people would do that.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Saltire said:

From Pattaya Expats FB page, can't find an official link.

Foreigners applying for non-immigrant (O-A) visas for stays in Thailand of up to one year are now required to have a health insurance policy with minimum coverage of three million baht for in-patient medical fees, instead of the previous 400,000 baht.

If this is what they are doing then they will have a mass exodus of foreigners leaving what used to be a nice place to stay. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Why would anyone want to work in Thailand for a year so much that they'd invest 30 million baht / $1,000,000 to do so?

Normally I can follow some sort of logic or reasoning with these 'ideas', but I just can't imagine why anyone would do that ... or why 10,000 people would do that.

They wouldn't. And if they force mandatory Thai health insurance like a poster stated above from Pattaya, then they will have created the opposite effect of having foreigners stay here as it will be a mass exodus out of here. And if they are trying to clear out all the bars and such and make it upscale, then they have even shot their tourism foot as people will tend not to come. I already have friends who will not even consider coming here if there is no freedom to drink for how it has always been. It will have lost a certain spark and identity. And I don't care who agrees or doesn't agree as even if I do not go out to bars so much, my friends and associates who do come do.

• Like 1

that insurance is crazy!!!!who is going to put out that much cash just to get into thailand?im not.guess my hua hin days are over.i love thailand but seems they not loveing us.ill start looking else where.chock dee to all

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The problems of investing in Thailand are many and varied, language, culture, political system etc. 

Why would you come here and struggle to survive in a small business and maintain your capital. 

The Special tourist Visa will still be my option in the times that I can spend prolonged periods in Thailand and in the mean time the normal tourist visa will serve its purpose up until then.

How lucky some must be in having the oportunity to take up such an offer. I am truly envious!! 555

• Haha 1

555!

I strongly doubt that any of the TAT proposals in this regard, will be published in the Royal Thai Gazette, even though the cabinet have approved the proposal. As we know  until it's Gazetted, in means nothing.

Clowns opening their mouths, and letting the wind blow their tounge's about.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

Because pristine beaches with no cigarette butts or soi dog poop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1