News Forum - Singapore Airlines launches 60 minute A380 flights

Thaiger

It’s designed to ferry lots of people long distances, in an ultra-quiet flying experience. So flyers would be used to flying the huge Airbus A380 from LA to London, Bahrain to Frankfurt, Melbourne to Hong Kong. The massive super jumbo airliner wasn’t designed for a short 1 hour hop. But that’s exactly what Singapore Airlines have planned now they’re getting their fleet back in the skies. The flight is surely one of the shortest scheduled journeys for the mighty A380, between Singapore’s Changi Airport and Kuala Lumpur in next door Malaysia. The flights will be 3 times a week from November […]

The story Singapore Airlines launches 60 minute A380 flights as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

15 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

It’s designed to ferry lots of people long distances, in an ultra-quiet flying experience. So flyers would be used to flying the huge Airbus A380 from LA to London, Bahrain to Frankfurt, Melbourne to Hong Kong. The massive super jumbo airliner wasn’t designed for a short 1 hour hop. But that’s exactly what Singapore Airlines have planned now they’re getting their fleet back in the skies. The flight is surely one of the shortest scheduled journeys for the mighty A380, between Singapore’s Changi Airport and Kuala Lumpur in next door Malaysia. The flights will be 3 times a week from November […]

The story Singapore Airlines launches 60 minute A380 flights as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

whitest of its white elephants. 🐘

• Like 4

Probably a good idea to test them over a short haul distance after taking them out of mothballs, before ramping them up to any long haul distances.  Maybe the next 'test runs' will include Aust to Singapore runs - I would love to get on one for that trip - what a nice way to fly (premium economy). 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Probably a good idea to test them over a short haul distance after taking them out of mothballs, before ramping them up to any long haul distances.  Maybe the next 'test runs' will include Aust to Singapore runs - I would love to get on one for that trip - what a nice way to fly (premium economy). 

I was just thinking the exact same thoughts. Even if the route gets shut down or becomes impractical the giant birds have had a test run with a safe landing area close by.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Flying long haul on an A380, even in economy, is enjoyable.  SIA's premium economy akin to business class on other carriers and I'll be happy to pay the extra for downunder travel.  Premium economy occupies the forward end of the lower deck, very quiet!

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Flying long haul on an A380, even in economy, is enjoyable.  SIA's premium economy akin to business class on other carriers and I'll be happy to pay the extra for downunder travel.  Premium economy occupies the forward end of the lower deck, very quiet!

I think the type of plane makes a huge difference on a flight

And not a lot of people even think about it, I certainly didn't 

But now, I look for flights with bigger planes with 2 aisles instead of 1

Usually my flights from Vancouver to Boston connect in Toronto or Montreal 

And I will seek out the bigger planes

Makes all the difference in an enjoyable flight 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Another thing is I don't feel the need to be in business if it's too pricy

But I always pay for premium economy on planes with 1 aisle 

Being able to board 1st, put your carry-on away easy and having that extra 6" legroom makes it a much more pleasant flight 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

Absolutely. You should be an expert at choosing the best flights by now!

I recall flying AirAsiaX's 1st A330's, ex Canadian airline IIRC, 8hrs from Gold Coast QLD to KUL when they 1st started.  Seating was fixed, no recline, and I nearly didn't book again.  Fortunately they had new AC on order and the difference was chalk and cheese.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Absolutely. You should be an expert at choosing the best flights by now!

I recall flying AirAsiaX's 1st A330's, ex Canadian airline IIRC, 8hrs from Gold Coast QLD to KUL when they 1st started.  Seating was fixed, no recline, and I nearly didn't book again.  Fortunately they had new AC on order and the difference was chalk and cheese.

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Agreed flying premium economy is not uncumfy. Why pay 3x the amount on a ticket to lay down in first class when you're going to do it in a bed within a half days time anyway.  Airbus has definitely developed passenger comfort.

• Like 2

Singapore Airlines are doing these short flights for Crew re-familiarization, nothing to do about testing airplanes after storage as they have test flights without passengers 

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Well that should be enough for Singapore Airlines to listen and do it . Lets hope so 🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

And not a lot of people even think about it, I certainly didn't 

But now, I look for flights with bigger planes with 2 aisles instead of 1

Usually my flights from Vancouver to Boston connect in Toronto or Montreal 

And I will seek out the bigger planes

Makes all the difference in an enjoyable flight 

Absolutely - wehat really matters is     

1.  The Airline (the pilots and crew in an emergency);

2.  The Plane  (comfort and safety);

3.  The Price.  Unfortunately most people look here first and do not even think about anything else, until they are on the flight and realise what a cheap ticket really means.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

I was just thinking the exact same thoughts. Even if the route gets shut down or becomes impractical the giant birds have had a test run with a safe landing area close by.

What does this switch do again?

• Haha 2

well it is rocket science but to make it simple to lift weight in the air it does cost a lot, this bird was not design to make fleas jump. when it s time to save moneys these guys are going to spend a lot. i am missing the marketing idea there.

8 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Absolutely - wehat really matters is     

3.  The Price.  Unfortunately most people look here first and do not even think about anything else, until they are on the flight and realise what a cheap ticket really means.  

For me it was time and connections

I just booked the flight with the shortest duration

But now I will book a flight that is an hour more total but is on a plane with two aisles

7 hours ago, yselmike said:

Have just read that BA and Singapore are using them on the short haul rout's to retrain the crew on flying the A380.

Singapore Airlines has it's agenda. To show off using "big planes" to Malaysia Airlines who is still using those 737s. Since Malaysia and Singapore has a bilateral fixed price flight agreement, luxury with the same price, It is an easy choice.

What is BAs? 

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

For me it was time and connections

I just booked the flight with the shortest duration

But now I will book a flight that is an hour more total but is on a plane with two aisles

Good point - something that has a 12 hour layover it just not worth it.

3.  The Price. 

4.  Total Flight Time. 

54 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Good point - something that has a 12 hour layover it just not worth it.

3.  The Price. 

4.  Total Flight Time. 

Oh these flight I am talking the difference between 1hr and 1hr30mins or 2hrs 

When flying for mostly business I just want to get there

But now I will take a bit longer connection for a better aircraft 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Singapore Airlines has it's agenda. To show off using "big planes" to Malaysia Airlines who is still using those 737s. Since Malaysia and Singapore has a bilateral fixed price flight agreement, luxury with the same price, It is an easy choice.

What is BAs? 

British Airways.Japan airways A.N.A has taken delivery of a new A380.its the last one of it's original order,the delivery date was put back because of COVID-19.