News Forum - Myanmar’s junta government releases prisoners, cancels arrest warrants

Thaiger

In the wake of ASEAN recently announcing it would exclude Myanmar’s representatives from future summits, Myanmar’s junta government made the move to release prisoners. The government also is cancelling arrest warrants for thousands of its people after making the announcement yesterday. The statement said that 1,316 people in detention will be released and that 4,320 cases will be dropped. Citing the 505(a) clause, the government’s move is thought to be in response to ASEAN’s decision. Many high-profile individuals that were involved in the anti-junta protests will now be released, including 24 people from the entertainment industry. At least 2 journalists […]

The story Myanmar’s junta government releases prisoners, cancels arrest warrants as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Finally, the pathetic despots are being held to account, by someone. It must have come as a real shock to be shunned by ASEAN. Probably the last place in the world, they expected criticism. Anything that can be done to put pressure on the billionaire street urchin creeps, is a good thing. 

• Like 4

I think that you have to give ASEAN its due here.

Yes, before anyone says it, I know the history of ASEAN and all about ZOPFAN as its basis in the early days, I know that it's non-interference directive is probably too strong and has been silent waaaaaay too often, I know a great deal about it.

However, it is hard to see how ASEAN's actions here didn't lead directly to this good news. Or, does anyone think that this release and Pardon of loads of people is merely a coincidence?

ASEAN gets criticized very often, but is one of those weird things that if you didn't have one, you'd make one. Yes, it is full of... many things including bluster, but it does allow for a space where regional countries can discuss stuff, and perhaps do some behind the scene deals. Yes, we Westerners often criticize it, but it is a SE Asian kind of thing; it avoids individual responsibility, it preserves 'Face', it is non-confrontational, etc. 

Do these characteristics remind you of anything?

Tomorrow, I will go back to slagging it off, but for today...

... Good Job, ASEAN.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

Probably the last place in the world, they expected criticism.

Particularly as some of ASEAN member countries leave a lot to be desired also.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1