News Forum - Virtual influencers a rising force in Thailand

Thaiger

Thailand’s virtual influencer marketing niche is expected to increase even more in value this year, as one network says it could account for 9.1% of online media spending. Mindshare, a leading marketing and media network that is under the media agency Group M, says the percentage is equal to around 2.1 billion baht of the 23 billion baht expected for this year’s online media spending. As influencer marketing’s value is expected to hit US $13.8 billion globally in 2021, the projected increase is over US $4 billion more than last year’s. Pusson Swatdikiat, director for strategic planning at Mindshare, says […]

The story Virtual influencers a rising force in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I have said before elsewhere that in my opinion the term "influencer" is no more than a name dreamt up to counteract what was pre-internet days known as conmen or women. These people's prime object is to persuade others ( amongst many other roles) to buy things they did not need, buy things they could not really afford or buy things that were totally trash. It appears internet influences are no different in there ambitions as the old fashioned con-men/women except they have combined all 3 roles. They prey on the gullible, and/or financially  vulnerable and to those whom have limited concept of value.

I think that the fact the term has been attributed to one Micheal Blatter, an American in Chicago perhaps speaks volumes.

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

I have said before elsewhere that in my opinion the term "influencer" is no more than a name dreamt up to counteract what was pre-internet days known as conmen or women. These people's prime object is to persuade others ( amongst many other roles) to buy things they did not need, buy things they could not really afford or buy things that were totally trash. It appears internet influences are no different in there ambitions as the old fashioned con-men except they have combined all 3 roles. They prey on the gullible, and/or financially  vulnerable and to those whom have limited concept of value.

Don't forget the "wanna be's" who are set to copy their "lifestyle-idols", even though they mostly promote their own or commissioned products.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i am a Virtual Influencer on Thai Friendly, Tinder and Badoo. 

And the more old fashioned of us can get people interested in our wares through direct personal interaction, rather than cyber fantasy 😂

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

And the more old fashioned of us can get people interested in our wares through direct personal interaction, rather than cyber fantasy 😂

it ain't no cyber fantasy. more like FoodPanda. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, gummy said:

I have said before elsewhere that in my opinion the term "influencer" is no more than a name dreamt up to counteract what was pre-internet days known as conmen or women. These people's prime object is to persuade others ( amongst many other roles) to buy things they did not need, buy things they could not really afford or buy things that were totally trash. It appears internet influences are no different in there ambitions as the old fashioned con-men/women except they have combined all 3 roles. They prey on the gullible, and/or financially  vulnerable and to those whom have limited concept of value.

I think that the fact the term has been attributed to one Micheal Blatter, an American in Chicago perhaps speaks volumes.

Interesting post, Mr G

However, it doesn't seem right to me. How are they fundamentally different from advertising characters and/or product placements that I used to see on television? Hmm. Except more advanced?

I grew up hearing a cartoon tiger screaming "They're great!".  I grew up hearing a cartoon toucan mentioning whatever that cereal was. As an old Trekkie, I'll tell you that originally Mr Spock was supposed to be a smoker as a cigarette company was one of Star Trek's earliest sponsors. I grew up hearing a cartoon band singing "Sugar Sugar". How many times have I seen a movie where the lead quite obviously opens a Coke? How many times has "Domino's Pizza" been mentioned in a TV show? How many times have I seen a Starbuck's Coffee cup on the morning news?

Respectfully, do you think the above is an accident?

How are modern day AI Influencers different?

If I were an advertising exec who focused on the net, I'd 100% go with an AI, wouldn't you? Get the program written then no more worries. Make it 'upgradeable, personalized and changeable'. After that, you don't have to worry if you spokesperson has 10 year old racist e-mails. You don't have to worry if your spokesperson gets hammered and vomits outside the pub in front of the Queen. You don't have to worry if it is named "Isis" after the Egyptian Goddess, if so then a few taps of the keyboard and its name and look are slightly changed. What a perfect spokesperson!

As a consumer and general human, I am a wee bit worried about the blurring line between real life imagery and CGI, but I don't think it can be stopped now.

Edited by Faz
re-edited replacing abbreviation with the word.

I am so glad I do not buy into any of this nonsense. A friend of mine was trying to tell me how much of a celebrity a guy he knows is, due to his following on youtube. Then I watched Brian Johnson's brilliant "Life on the road", about rock stars, with episode one being a great interview with Roger Daltry. Now, that is celebrity. More like Rock Gods. Or Demi-Gods.

Youtube, social media, etc? Wannabe celebrity. That is all that is. 

https://www.ccl.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Infographic-4-keys-to-influence-others-center-for-creative-leadership-1024x536.jpg

Thai Govt and influencing. 

Organizational Intelligence ---yep know that Army trained,  covered

Team Promotion---Yep Prayut and his mates. covered

Trust Building --- What's trust ---Sorry don't understand the title. skip please

Leveraging--- Yep know this one well (brown paper bags). covered

Edited by palooka
relocate link

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s virtual influencer marketing niche is expected to increase even more in value this year, as one network says it could account for 9.1% of online media spending. Mindshare, a leading marketing and media network that is under the media agency Group M, says the percentage is equal to around 2.1 billion baht of the 23 billion baht expected for this year’s online media spending. As influencer marketing’s value is expected to hit US $13.8 billion globally in 2021, the projected increase is over US $4 billion more than last year’s. Pusson Swatdikiat, director for strategic planning at Mindshare, says […]

The story Virtual influencers a rising force in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So a metal spoon with a wooden handle can cure your myopia now