News Forum - Anutin rejects suggestion booster doses should stop until everyone gets first dose

Thaiger

The Public Health Minister has defended the administration of third Covid-19 vaccine doses, despite some people still waiting for their first. Anutin Charnvirakul was responding to some advisers at the Department of Disease Control, who suggested people fully vaccinated with Sinovac should not get a booster while others are still waiting for their first dose. According to a Bangkok Post report, the advisers suggested the current supply should be allocated to the unvaccinated. However, Anutin rejects the suggestion. “If there are any questions, please tell them that this is the minister’s order. We have enough vaccines for all in need. […]

The story Anutin rejects suggestion booster doses should stop until everyone gets first dose as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

8 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Moreover, I don’t want to see this group (those who received 2 doses of Sinovac) losing the chance to protect themselves from the outbreak.”

Well good morning sir...

• Like 3

For once I think it's a very fair point and agree 100% with Anutin.

Most of those who were the first to be double-dosed with Sinovac were health workers - those "on the front line", and not only the most likely to be affected but the most needed to keep hospitals going to treat those affected by Covid and anything else.

Earlier, when cases and hospitalisations were at their peak, some hospitals had to close because of the number of staff affected.

Others double-dosed early on with Sinovac were prison officers, police, and school teachers.

I think it's not only right that they're given the extra protection their jobs require, but that it makes sound common sense.

Of course others will also benefit, including Anutin as he had Sinovac, but I think it would be very wrong for the many who so obviously should have a booster to miss out because of the few who shouldn't.

• Like 1

Only yesterday we were told only 32% of the people in krabi and surrounding districts 152 thousand out of 600 thousand had been inoculated yet nutin told all today that there was enough vaccine for all. Well Mr PM does that mean enough to gully vaccinate the entire population or just 1 dose ?? and why are you not ordering anymore Sinovac considering you told everyone it was a good vaccine. Will you explain the reason why you ditched it. 

Sinovac is running out, that could be blamed next? 

"The researchers found that while the Pfizer shot was initially much more protective than the AstraZeneca vaccine, this waned rapidly after vaccination and in four or five months matched the more stable level of protection offered by AstraZeneca"

Forbes

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

"The researchers found that while the Pfizer shot was initially much more protective than the AstraZeneca vaccine, this waned rapidly after vaccination and in four or five months matched the more stable level of protection offered by AstraZeneca"

Forbes

Agreed, @AlexPTY, but I think it may be worth pointing out that that refers to overall protection, while protection from hospitalization and death remain a lot higher for Pfizer.

Personally I'm a lot more concerned about hospitalization and death than I am about a few days off work, but I suppose it depends to some extent on the demographic you're in.

• Cool 2

Hmmm...looks like Sinovac is officially now "on the nose". To be fair, Thailand only had access to Sinovac at the start and with the surge in Delta cases, any vaccine was a good vaccine and certainly better than none at all. Now that more supply is coming online, I do think those first vaccinated using Sinovac are now due for a booster and should have one. We're learning that vaccination isn't just a two shot and all done thing. We're likely to require a booster and eventually an annual shot, just like flu shots.

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

I think the real news here is that Anutin said something that made sense. 

Very rare indeed. Less surprising was his talk about fit to-fly today 😂