News Forum - Thailand to stop using Sinovac vaccine once current supply runs out

Thaiger

2 hours ago, Alavan said:

Agree with that. Heard the same from Khon Kaen province.
Now they have even doubt about the Thai AZ. They say the foreign produced one is better.

Thank you - I've heard the same thing from those in Khon Kaen as well.

I've heard the doubts too, but I'm far from sure that they're justified, however real they are, as it's the same vaccine, produced to the same spec, using the same source materials, checked to the same standards by the same company (AZ) with their approval.

I think the problem is simply that what little trust there was has now gone, so whether it's AZ from here or anywhere else no-one receiving it is going to know where it's from so the level of trust in AZ isn't there, rightly or wrongly.

My guess is that's why they're going to "instead switch to using 1 dose of AstraZeneca, followed by 1 of Pfizer" as it makes the best use of what's available, not only maximising the vaccines they've got for the most people but encouraging people to register who wouldn't have done so under any circumstances if Sinovac was involved and who still had doubts about AZ.

If correct, it's a win-win move for everyone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

The vaccines are all experimentation, but personally prefer not to be in the first experimental group round in an evolving pandemic. I'm selfish that way.

On one thing we can agree, you are selfish.

• Haha 2

Why haven't the Powers to be just procured Vaccines months ago like every other Country did then most would have been inoculated and they would'nt be in the mess they are. If they have millions to spend on Submarines and an opening up Extravaganza  why have they refused to obtain A vaccine of known strengh like Moderna A/Z or Phizer.

11 minutes ago, vlad said:

Why haven't the Powers to be just procured Vaccines months ago like every other Country did then most would have been inoculated and they would'nt be in the mess they are. If they have millions to spend on Submarines and an opening up Extravaganza  why have they refused to obtain A vaccine of known strengh like Moderna A/Z or Phizer.

The answer to this is rather obvious...their hands have been tied by their masters.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vlad said:

Every country wanted good vaccines, so the pharmaceutical companies didn't have to distribute brown envelopes.

8 hours ago, Blogosopher said:

Moderna is being proven to be the best, even if only marginally better than Pfizer in some studies. The two are very close.

Are you sure about this? where did you get this info?

• Like 1

somebody should make them look at indonesia.  Covid nearly wiped out.  primarily used SinoVAC and IVERMECTIN.  Nobody their right mind would say it was due to Sinovac.  Population over 100 million now much less than 10% of Thailand..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How to tell if it's a day you shouldn't buy a lottery ticket: "Why yes, Khun Somchai, you are the last person in Thailand to be vaccinated with Sinovac."

2 hours ago, NickAthens said:

check out indonesia..It has virtually wiped out covid....Us fact checkers always slam me for claiming it is Ivermectin Use, they claim it was sinovac use.  We all know sinovac doesn't work..The answer is right in from t of you!!  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/indonesia/

Waiting on my result to come back positive today. If it does, I will be demanding IVERMECTIN just to prove the experts right or wrong

Just now, Viggen840 said:

Waiting on my result to come back positive today. If it does, I will be demanding IVERMECTIN just to prove the experts right or wrong

Be interesting to see how you "demand" it and how you "prove" that it works completely on your own, as most infections clear up without any medication at all... Only "anecdotal evidence" is exactly why even the manufacturer says that it doesn't work.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Stonker said:

As soon as it's confirmed that there's no more Sinovac, I'm 100% sure there'll be a flood registering for vaccination.

Around me, very few apart from government employees and their families have registered and even fewer have been vaccinated.

Som nam nah to Phuket, Buri Ram, and everywhere else that put themselves first.

Agreed.

I was wondering about some of the hesitation wrt lack of participation was not just safety but applying for a less effective vaccine in which the recipient sacrifices international travel to many destinations that don't recognize Sinovac.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Agreed.

I was wondering about some of the hesitation wrt lack of participation was not just safety but applying for a less effective vaccine in which the recipient sacrifices international travel to many destinations that don't recognize Sinovac.

Most around me aren't too worried about international travel, but they've realised that if they hang on for long enough then Sinovac will be used up and there's a good chance they'll get something better rather than blowing their chances early.

They tried to push people to register by announcing in the local temple a month or two ago that anyone not registering would lose their "blue card" monthly handout, and that went down like a real lead balloon and was a bit of an empty threat since pretty much everyone in the village has a blue card.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Be interesting to see how you "demand" it and how you "prove" that it works completely on your own, as most infections clear up without any medication at all... Only "anecdotal evidence" is exactly why even the manufacturer says that it doesn't work.

True what you say about the infections clearing themselves, but at least this way, I can thumb my nose at big pharma

On 10/19/2021 at 7:25 PM, Stonker said:

Well, that's the view of a lot of Thais around here who are heartily sick of "Phuket first".

Of course it is not fair, to put Phuketians first But is it fair, to let them starve? Allthey have, in reality, is tourism . Now everyone in the kingdome is aware of it.

(I hole they remember that, but not holding my breath about it)

And is "Phuket first" a good thing, for being vaccinated?

Also it is really only about 600.000 people. Which means, it is about 10k vaccines less from every other province, till now. If they would have given equally to all. Which they did not anyway.

Plus: They have been/are the real guinea pigs in Thailand. The first big group of sinovac vaccinated people in Thailand, 300+k, now the same group is (almost) boostered with Az on top. 

The lrovinces, that had lesser doses, because of that, arent getting sinovac, now.

A step forward, isnt it?

Who of the complaining people  would be happy, to be in the Sinovac test group? I mean, if it is true, that many will sign up only now, after sinovac is canceled, there must be another reason for hating "Phuket first".

10 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Why do they stop? I thought that they said it was a good vaccine. 

Oh, they said that in EU about Az, too. But still, since there is enough "better" stuff available, they order only the better stuff.

Thay now have Az rolling, in Thailand, they now get hands on Pfizer and Moderna (since the west starts boostering with that, they need oy half of the doses, more available for the world)

Everything is good, as long you dont have something better

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 10:32 PM, vlad said:

Because the west had "its fingers on"?

(An "we" have an Az production plant in Thailand?)

The US had, still have, I think, an export ban.

The EU was not much better, they controlled about "you did not deliver to us the promised  amount, so you cant export to outside EU, before full filling the contract. 

Biontech/Pfizer and Moderna, like Az, were far behind the numbers, the gouvernments stated to the people, till july/August, I think

At least they had, till mid year when I did read last about it. But there the vaccination train slowed down everywhere, so that even kesser deliveries builded up stocks!

The US- donation came, after vaccination there was slowing down and stored  vaccines could run out of "best before"

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 7:04 AM, Rip255 said:

Weird. I got 2 doses of Pfizer in September through the expatvac site.

Hassle free.

Some of us where lucky, I was one of 'em too.

Bangkok Hospital Phuket had, about 2 month ago, an offer for expats/foreigners 40+ , the 8 risk groups and 12-17 years old. 

They offered Sino/Az, Az/Az and P/P

Opted for P/P, didnt think to make the cut, at that time, dd not even think about it any longer. Cause I guessed that would be a no go, like before, b/c phuket win wasnt the registration site. But then I got a text on my phone, to confirm a timeslot. Again outside the phuket win page

Assumingly I just made it b/c this was for people only, who never had an free covid vaccine from the thai gouvernment before.

And ghey even canceled one in front of me, by checking : You got Az some weeks ago, you get you next Az in some weeks. Sorry, but you have to go.

Aside: My number in the central garage (sign in, check credentials) was 20 something numbers higher, as my number in the vaccination area.

So they cancelled about 10% of the people, I think

The PM as i recall was bragging how Thailand's Scientist's were capable of formulating there own version of A/Z in a Lab in BKK. We now know they could not. So the Question is  " Why " if he would have began last year he would have had enough Vaccine to fully vaccinate the Thai population now.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 12:00 PM, Saltire said:

So with 1 x SV and 1 x AZ the UK won't accept me as a 'fully vaccinated' person as they don't recognise the combo jabs.

And, yesterday I see the list of accepted vaccines to come into Thailand, and Sinovac only acceptable with 2 shots.

So if I follow this, it means I can't enter the UK without doing quarantine, and can't come back to Thailand without quarantine, despite having 2 jabs.

Sinovac is obviously dead and buried now only to be talked about in whispers.

Like anything else with the 'made in china' label on it. They did do a pretty decent job of the Wuhan flu, though. Lasted longer than a lot of their shoddy products

• Like 1