News Forum - Thailand to stop using Sinovac vaccine once current supply runs out

Thaiger

The head of the Department of Disease Control says Thailand will stop using the Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine when the current supply runs out at the end of this month. Dr Opas Karnkawinpong says the government programme will instead switch to using 1 dose of AstraZeneca, followed by 1 of Pfizer. “We expect to have distributed all Sinovac doses this week.” The Bangkok Post reports that since February, over 31.5 million doses of the Chinese-made Sinovac have been administered, initially to frontline healthcare workers and high-risk groups, as well as residents on the southern island of Phuket ahead of its sandbox […]

The story Thailand to stop using Sinovac vaccine once current supply runs out as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Oh, so the Chinese CCP has stopped giving brown envelopes to the Land of shxt clown politicians...until the next batches are ready I guess! 

• Like 4

Sinovac should have been discontinued a long time ago and it is very dubious as to its continued use...

Time to remedy the problem now with mass vaccines that work on variants.. 

• Like 7

The only reason they can continue to use the curret supply is for stats

Already they are offering the AZ jab to people who have had 2 sinovac.   why would they bother to use the sinovac?🤑

• Like 2

Well if that comes to pass that is really good news for all the Thais that have not yet been vaccinated and wish to do so.  Although I would have thought that it would be best to give 2 doses of the same dependant upon the age groups. 

2 hours ago, gummy said:

Well if that comes to pass that is really good news for all the Thais that have not yet been vaccinated and wish to do so.  Although I would have thought that it would be best to give 2 doses of the same dependant upon the age groups. 

As soon as it's confirmed that there's no more Sinovac, I'm 100% sure there'll be a flood registering for vaccination.

Around me, very few apart from government employees and their families have registered and even fewer have been vaccinated.

Som nam nah to Phuket, Buri Ram, and everywhere else that put themselves first.

• Haha 1

So with 1 x SV and 1 x AZ the UK won't accept me as a 'fully vaccinated' person as they don't recognise the combo jabs.

And, yesterday I see the list of accepted vaccines to come into Thailand, and Sinovac only acceptable with 2 shots.

So if I follow this, it means I can't enter the UK without doing quarantine, and can't come back to Thailand without quarantine, despite having 2 jabs.

Sinovac is obviously dead and buried now only to be talked about in whispers.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 6
  • Angry 1

Here in Phuket, we got 2 x Sinovac mostly and the booster is an interdermal shot of AZ at 20% of the dose, because some nobody Phuket hospital said it was a good idea after a study of 130 people. 

Most people I know have refused to take that booster. A couple of friends have just gone back home to other countries to start getting vaccinated with something non Sinovac and doseage manufacturers actually recommend. 

I plan to take advantage of the re-openings once it settles a little and do the same.

Edited by Artemis080
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Thommo said:

The only reason they can continue to use the curret supply is for stats

Already they are offering the AZ jab to people who have had 2 sinovac.   why would they bother to use the sinovac?🤑

Because they still have Sino, wanna use it up and dont have enough AZ, yet?

The AZ Booster was given quickly only to med personal and to the sandboxer. 

Also they just wanna use it up, the 3 jab seems to be a sure thing, for every one. So why waist statistics by not using it up? ;-)

Think China has stopped making Sinovac.

China has not been blustering and taking offence at everyone bashing Sinovac of late.

What are the odds that a new wonder vaccine will emerge from China that they have already administered to millions and then make outrageous claims to the efficiency of combatting Covid.

• Like 2

Thailand was the first country in the world to adopt a mix-and-match protocol 

Sure about that? Ok, with Sinovac 1., Az 2. perhaps.

But because of the Az trouble in Europe, thrombosis with younger people, woman mostly, at least Germany ( I think it was ), started to cross vaccinate. Az 1., Biontech/Pfizer 2.

Thailand startet after 1. of July. And that was the reason, why a couple of people from europe, cross vaccinated, coulnd't come to Thailand. 

That is somewhere in the forum here, complains from europeans wanted to come, but did not get approval to be seen as "fully vaccinated", despite of having 1. Az, plus 2. Bio/pfizer 

I think, that these combination is not of concern, anymore.

Also with 2. jab  Moderna should be fine, now, at Thai borders.

Anyone knows more about that?

Also using Az as a booster, but Az gets boostered with mRNA in the west already, can usually only be, because they cant get enough mRNA, quickly

Oh, and to this: The Public Health Ministry says the country will only purchase vaccines with proven efficacy against new variants. 

But still planing with Az. They will have to booster Az soon, too. Looks a bit like " we make it, we use it", to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

As soon as it's confirmed that there's no more Sinovac, I'm 100% sure there'll be a flood registering for vaccination.

Around me, very few apart from government employees and their families have registered and even fewer have been vaccinated.

"Fun fact", even tellin, that sinovcac will be used up, end of this month, yesterday finally a friend of mine got his offer via Phuket win page. After waiting for quiet some time, ( all full, no slot fir fireigner) he got appointment offers around the 20. of next month for:

1. Sinovcac,

2. (3 weeks later) Az.

Looks like that Phuket is almost done with the 3 jab thau residents vaccinating, now they worry too get rid of the sinovcac in the coolers

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Here in Phuket, we got 2 x Sinovac mostly and the booster is an interdermal shot of AZ at 20% of the dose, because some nobody Phuket hospital said it was a good idea after a study of 130 people. 

Most people I know have refused to take that booster. A couple of friends have just gone back home to other countries to start getting vaccinated with something non Sinovac and doseage manufacturers actually recommend. 

I plan to take advantage of the re-openings once it settles a little and do the same.

The thing with the 3. shot of 20% of the dose under the skin is something, scientist outside of Thailand are looking at, for longer as it is topic in Thailand. My guess, they just checked on the pre-published results. And to save a lot of the needed vaccine by using 1 dose on 5 people is kind of great?

Oh, the non Thai scientist are suggesting to Covid vaccinate under the skin, instead of in the muscle, in general. 

Even if perhaps a little less effective, 5 times the people could be vaccinated quickly.

Would that be a bad thing?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

"Fun fact", even tellin, that sinovcac will be used up, end of this month, yesterday finally a friend of mine got his offer via Phuket win page. After waiting for quiet some time, ( all full, no slot fir fireigner) he got appointment offers around the 20. of next month for:

1. Sinovcac,

2. (3 weeks later) Az.

Looks like that Phuket is almost done with the 3 jab thau residents vaccinating, now they worry too get rid of the sinovcac in the coolers

Don't know how far away you are from patong hospital? but once registered on phuket win and a date, you can go along to patong hospital to be vaccinated. I was set to go to phuket Airport for sinovac . My thai gf phoned patong hospital they told me to go immediately with passport .they cancelled the sinovac and gave me AstraZeneca the same day.. only problem is second dose 3 months away.. worth a try

• Like 1

Good ,maybe now the forces that be will push for the Mvax instead of surpressing it’s procurement ,for the obvious reasons . Financial interests in the Other vax 

5 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Don't know how far away you are from patong hospital? but once registered on phuket win and a date, you can go along to patong hospital to be vaccinated. I was set to go to phuket Airport for sinovac . My thai gf phoned patong hospital they told me to go immediately with passport .they cancelled the sinovac and gave me AstraZeneca the same day.. only problem is second dose 3 months away.. worth a try

I will tell him, to look at that.

Just he did not get a date offered, till yesterday, for about the last 2 month.  That is about the time, they started to do the third shot boosters. Which they are about to finish in the next weeks. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

1. Sinovcac,

2. (3 weeks later) Az.

Thanks for posting that and keeping people up to date and correctly informed - so much for those who are adamant that all foreigners are getting double AZ as a minimum.

If it were me in your friend's place I'd be tempted to ask if it could be delayed by a month because I've got 'flu, hoping the remaining Sinovac would be used up by then, but that obviously depends on his circumstances and would take some careful sounding out.

Edit: @Malc-Thai's suggestion sounds the better option 😇

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Think China has stopped making Sinovac.

China has not been blustering and taking offence at everyone bashing Sinovac of late.

What are the odds that a new wonder vaccine will emerge from China that they have already administered to millions and then make outrageous claims to the efficiency of combatting Covid.

Or they have nicked the formula from elsewhere in the world  and now making it in China and calling it Xipingvax. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Good ,maybe now the forces that be will push for the Mvax instead of surpressing it’s procurement ,for the obvious reasons . Financial interests in the Other vax 

Don't know about that riclag it was stated that the Sinovac was more expensive then most leading vaccines.

4 minutes ago, vlad said:

Don't know about that riclag it was stated that the Sinovac was more expensive then most leading vaccines.

Maybe so! My point is,I can't mention who ,but they have a vested financial interest in some particular vax

25 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Or they have nicked the formula from elsewhere in the world  and now making it in China and calling it Xipingvax. 

More then likely they do it with everything else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Agree with that. Heard the same from Khon Kaen province.
Now they have even doubt about the Thai AZ. They say the foreign produced one is better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guest1 said:

The thing with the 3. shot of 20% of the dose under the skin is something, scientist outside of Thailand are looking at, for longer as it is topic in Thailand. My guess, they just checked on the pre-published results. And to save a lot of the needed vaccine by using 1 dose on 5 people is kind of great?

Oh, the non Thai scientist are suggesting to Covid vaccinate under the skin, instead of in the muscle, in general. 

Even if perhaps a little less effective, 5 times the people could be vaccinated quickly.

Would that be a bad thing?

The vaccines are all experimentation, but personally prefer not to be in the first experimental group round in an evolving pandemic. I'm selfish that way.

Edited by Artemis080
  • Like 2