How much to be charged for electricity?

Marc26

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Looking to tent a condo/villa and wondering what is a proper rate to be charged for electricity?

Thanks

Ooooh can of worms question - if you have an honest landlord you will pay the PEA rate of I think 4.2 baht per unit ? If you haven't, numerous landlords and most projects charge an 'admin' fee where they jack it up to as much as 8 baht a unit. 100% illegal but nearly all do it.

Or get a villa with solar panels and you should get it for next to nothing ! 

8 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Ooooh can of worms question - if you have an honest landlord you will pay the PEA rate of I think 4.2 baht per unit ? If you haven't, numerous landlords and most projects charge an 'admin' fee where they jack it up to as much as 8 baht a unit. 100% illegal but nearly all do it.

Or get a villa with solar panels and you should get it for next to nothing ! 

Yeah I am well aware of that.........same when I lived in Thailand

And a lot of the apartments at my Thamassat where my stepson live are always trying to jack them on the electricty prices

I just forgot what the standard rate was

I see villas charging 5baht/unit, so not bad

Thank you BR

25 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yeah I am well aware of that.........same when I lived in Thailand

And a lot of the apartments at my Thamassat where my stepson live are always trying to jack them on the electricty prices

I just forgot what the standard rate was

I see villas charging 5baht/unit, so not bad

Thank you BR

yeah 5 not so bad but still a rip off - I was told there is a court case in the courts right now where a project have had enough - they were being charged 7.2 baht a unit and they'd had enough. The ramifications of the decision could be far reaching. Anything more than the going rate is theft but so many never question it, the courts take a dim view of the 'admin' argument, given there is no admin.

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

yeah 5 not so bad but still a rip off - I was told there is a court case in the courts right now where a project have had enough - they were being charged 7.2 baht a unit and they'd had enough. The ramifications of the decision could be far reaching. Anything more than the going rate is theft but so many never question it, the courts take a dim view of the 'admin' argument, given there is no admin.

Many of the rentals mentioned 7baht

I don't know abot the MEA but the PEA has a sliding scale. So the initial rate is low and goes up as you use more. Currently we pay 3-4 K /month, but I plan to add two more units that will probably raise or bill by around 2K / month, but only during the hot season.

We resently enclosed the first floor area with folding glass walls. It's very comfortable now but come the hot season, my wife cooks. We'll probably add two 35K BTU units. 

16 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I don't know abot the MEA but the PEA has a sliding scale. So the initial rate is low and goes up as you use more. Currently we pay 3-4 K /month, but I plan to add two more units that will probably raise or bill by around 2K / month, but only during the hot season.

We resently enclosed the first floor area with folding glass walls. It's very comfortable now but come the hot season, my wife cooks. We'll probably add two 35K BTU units. 

I should have added

This is just a holiday rental 

1 month to 6 weeks or so 

55 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I should have added

This is just a holiday rental 

1 month to 6 weeks or so 

If it helps we currently have 4 AC units, plus a partial electric stone/oven, plus microwave. We also have an electric cloths dryer, but don't always use it. We use the AC IN the bedroom every night but it only cycles on when needed

So we're pretty high user. A rental unit shouldn't be that high. Maybe 2k/month. But it's usage dependent.

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

If it helps we currently have 4 AC units, plus a partial electric stone/oven, plus microwave. We also have an electric cloths dryer, but don't always use it. We use the AC IN the bedroom every night but it only cycles on when needed

So we're pretty high user. A rental unit shouldn't be that high. Maybe 2k/month. But it's usage dependent.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I using predictive text and it changes words and I don't know how to  edit. Stone should be stove.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 12:59 AM, Benroon said:

So do you know what action can be taken? My condo has just increased their Electricity rate from 5 to 8 baht. 

22 minutes ago, Rob64 said:

So do you know what action can be taken? My condo has just increased their Electricity rate from 5 to 8 baht. 

7 - 8 baht is fairly standard for Condo's. It includes the costs of lifts, lighting etc.

It's  not illegal to change rentals for the use if electricity.  It's a service they provide as they are registrated users of the meters. 

If you want a a cheaper price the condominium can choose to have the meter changed to the rentals name. This will cost 2000 Baht every time it's being done.  Then try to calculate what price you then have to pay for a unit. 

According to the Condominium Act of 2008 even PEA are allowed to turn of electricity of if not paid  another thing you cant do e.g supply of water  which the law see as a necessary for every day living

6 hours ago, Rob64 said:

Yes you can take them to court, though what is crucial is you all have to get together and better to form a formal committee to take it forward - 8 is the highest I've ever heard of. That's approaching doubling your electricity bill for no other reason than profiteering. 

There is a case going through the courts right now that a lot of people (and projects) are hanging on the outcome. It is illegal to charge more than the rate so seconds after that ruling was made they inserted the word admin to justify it so it's gone back into the courts, however the case going through at the moment, the project were completely unable to show how that admin added up.

I don't know the details of the case but it is in the PKK area. If the judge rules against the project they will probably come up with something else. It is the lifeblood (unearned) revenue for many projects.

I will try and find it...

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 10/18/2021 at 8:19 PM, Marc26 said:

Looking to tent a condo/villa and wondering what is a proper rate to be charged for electricity?

When renting a condo or villa, determining a fair rate for electricity can depend on various factors such as the size of the property, the appliances and amenities available, and the local utility costs. It's common for landlords to either include a fixed amount in the rental fee or charge based on actual usage. Some property owners may use a per-kilowatt-hour rate, while others opt for a flat monthly fee. To strike a fair balance, it's essential to consider the average electricity consumption in the area, the energy efficiency of the appliances, and any specific terms outlined in the rental agreement. Clear communication and transparency about the billing method can help ensure a positive landlord-tenant relationship. world cricket championship 3

Edited by Relaxmodapk