Delicious Isaan food you’ll love

Thaiger

Isan, the northeastern region of Thailand, is possibly the most underrated region in the country in terms of tourism. However, its delicious cuisine dominates the Thai culinary scene. You can find most of the region’s dishes across the country, whether in restaurants or street food stalls. Bordering with Laos, Isan food has strong Laotian influences. The dishes consist of many herbs and spices, so they tend to be hot and flavourful. Below, we’ve compiled 10 delicious Isan food you have to try while you’re in Thailand. 1. Som Tum (Papaya Salad) Som tum, or papaya salad, is perhaps the first […]

The story Delicious Isan food you’ll love as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I enjoy all of those, and more.  My wife always has an Isaan style dish on the stove though I tend to think of the soup-like dishes such as gaeng om or tom saap more as a meal-in-a-bowl, cross between curry and soup.

• Like 1

Sai krok deserve a special mention.  I am NOT a sausage aficionado, never have been except for quality salami's or a few Aussie gourmet offerings.  BUT, sai krok are so good we order them from Ubon Ratchathani sent by mail order.  Can get locally made in Chiang Mai but not as good as Isaan-made!

image92.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 4:30 AM, KaptainRob said:

Sai krok deserve a special mention.  I am NOT a sausage aficionado, never have been except for quality salami's or a few Aussie gourmet offerings.  BUT, sai krok are so good we order them from Ubon Ratchathani sent by mail order.  Can get locally made in Chiang Mai but not as good as Isaan-made!

https://riceandrelish.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/image92.jpg

Sausages are more miss than hit for me in Thailand 

They always look so good but I find them so dry inside 

But I've some good ones

As far as sausages go KR

You had to grow up in my hood

My friend Garry's uncle made sausages 

Order them a week in advance 

Hot or sweet  😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

My friend Garry's uncle made sausages 

Order them a week in advance 

I think all Boston food is special, decades of devotion and from what little I know, many restaurants have been around for 40 + years .... lucky to see one last 10 years in most cities.  Did Garry's uncle made good salami too?

Thai sausages are indeed hit or miss.  Northern style sai oua sold in CM is almost always too spicy or too oily, sometimes both.  I had given up trying samples as they were so bad UNTIL I saw the queues at Mae Hia market and watched restaurant owners collecting big orders ... oh boy, what a treat and he's won awards too!

Isaan fermented sausages are best ordered from Ubon Ratchathani, fresh or frozen - delivery anywhere in Thailand is swift and they are the best!  Established 60 years ago!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I think all Boston food is special, decades of devotion and from what little I know, many restaurants have been around for 40 + years .... lucky to see one last 10 years in most cities.  Did Garry's uncle made good salami too?

Thai sausages are indeed hit or miss.  Northern style sai oua sold in CM is almost always too spicy or too oily, sometimes both.  I had given up trying samples as they were so bad UNTIL I saw the queues at Mae Hia market and watched restaurant owners collecting big orders ... oh boy, what a treat and he's won awards too!

Isaan fermented sausages are best ordered from Ubon Ratchathani, fresh or frozen - delivery anywhere in Thailand is swift and they are the best!  Established 60 years ago!

The sausages I have liked in Thailand have mostly been Isaan sausages

Actually had great Isaan sausages in NYC once 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 10/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, KaptainRob said:

An old Italian friend of mine dedicates one weekend every year to making sausages with friends and family (salami, peperoni etc).

His shed is full of people day and night for the whole weekend. I would guess there would be 50-60 people come through and a truck load of pig carcasses get processed.

The sausages are amazing. 

• Like 1